House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Right To Buy For The Private Rental Sector

it seems though, shouting and whinging eventually makes them do something to shut you up

or, as we used to say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"

I'm beyond trying anything rational, so may as well shout and whinge. If you keep quiet, they believe they are doing the right thing.

I love that clip from The Network!

I signed, left a little message too! All the housing policies this government has introduced have been totally ridiculous, I don't think Help Right to Buy for private renters would be any more ridiculous!

Edited by renting til I die

I know you meant RightToBuy for private tenants ... in the same way that HelpToBuy is available to private renters and social renters or in fact non-renters living at home. The Tories can force councils to sell and provide cash for discounts but not force private rentiers to provide discounts. They will also provide cash to builders so why are private renters they only ones not to get free money?

Sorry, yes, of course I meant Right to Buy! :) Now corrected!

To be honest, Labour would probably have been elected if they had announced a policy whereby all tenants of more than a certain amount of time were eligible to buy their house off their landlord at a 30% off current market value or perhaps at the amount it would have cost when they moved in less any rents paid. (amounts to be borne by the landlord of course)

Trouble is, they were too busy being private landlords themselves. Deserve everything they get.

That way they could have frightened the private rental market with the element of risk for the future and got rid of this disease.

It'd be nice but would never happen as it would need a lot more protection for tenants. Without increased tenants rights there would just be a mass of s.21 notices (and subsequent evictions) to get any long term tenants out (unless of course the LL was minded to sell).

Ok, I don't expect anyone to take this seriously but please sign if you feel so inclined;

https://www.change.org/p/hm-government-introduce-right-to-buy-for-private-rental-sector

It's a bonkers idea if you believe in property rights, but it's no more bonkers than forcing companies to sell their property assets to tenants at a discount, which is what the Tories are proposing to do to housing associations.

You could even argue that LLs should be worried that the Conservative government is setting a precedent by doing this that may provide a justification for a future more left wing government to introduce RTB for private tenants. That would be a delicious irony.

He's already got 25 supporters, and it's only been going a month. If they ignore this sort of ground swell of public opinion then they'll stop at nothing to be honest.