House Price Crash Forum

Swansea New Build Anecdotal

HOLA441

I went to look at some new houses been built in the Gorseinon part of Swansea today. Four beds going for just under 190K with 5% deposit paid. I was told, as I asked them bluntly, that they were prepared to "haggle on the prices".

The main bathroom was interesting in that I, at 6 foot 2 inches tall and very slim, could not fit into the bath as it was so small in length and width. Nor could I sit on the toilet as there was simply not enough room between the sink on one side and a wall on the other. The bathrroom en suite to the master bedroom was the same.

I commented on this to the agents expecting them to give me the usual response of not giving a damn due to so many people wishing to buy but... they tried all ways to convince me that I had "options" with them eventually trying to convince me that once I had bought a house I could rip the bathrooms out and have my own put in - DOH!

They did not like it when I commented that there was no room in the bathrooms themselves to put in anything bigger so small were the actual rooms.

They seemed depserate to sell IMPO.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Yep, there's some right bloody shoeboxes around.

I too am 6' 2" and slim, yet some of the "bathrooms" I have seen are no good for a pygmy, let alone me.

This maybe would have sold like hot cakes when the buying frenzy was in full flow, but we can be choosier than that in the midst of a crash! :P

NDL

Out of interest I went to see some new builds near me recently (N London). I was absolutely gobsmacked how small they were (and asking around £500k for a two bedder - errr hardly enough space for a bed in either). Yet just around the corner you can buy a 30's 3 bed house for around £300k - £400k. Yep that's still expensive but you get a garden, off street parking, two full sized reception rooms, a seperate kitchen, two toilets, decent bathroon and three resonable sized bedrooms.

Why on earth do people buy these tiny shoebox new builds???

Edited by Portent