House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Internet Throttling Applications.

Is there a free internet throttling application that works with Windows 8/8.1?

My free trial of "Netlimiter", which works well, runs out next week and I usually find a free alternative a few days after paying for something like this.

I need to throttle the bandwidth when streaming Sky Go over my mobile WiFi, or else it switches to higher resolution and uses much more bandwidth than is necessary to view on a 13" screen.

Stop looking at the Internet. It's full of filth.

I'm assuming you're using windows

I was going to suggest running a few powershell command lines, however the free version of http://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/ can be used to limit up 3 processes + 3 rules. This should be enough to limit just the SkyGo app

What router are you using? Most have the ability to allocate bandwidth to individual IPs

It's a Huawei 4G pocket job with limited settings and chucks out the maximum bandwidth available.

I'm assuming you're using windows

I was going to suggest running a few powershell command lines, however the free version of http://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/ can be used to limit up 3 processes + 3 rules. This should be enough to limit just the SkyGo app

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. I just need to limit the bandwidth for the one app, otherwise it uses whatever is available up to 1.4MB/s. Limiting it to 180KB/s enabled me to watch the full Grand Prix, plus an hour of talking, and only use 1GB of my 6GB monthly allowance.