House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Bombshell As Cameron Announces Mandatory Licensing Of Landlords

It looks only as a means to monitor and control immigration, I wonder if landlord licencing might extend to more secure tenancies? No Mention?

Starts this autumn here in Wales ,from what i can make out there will be a cost attached too

Not sure what affect it will have on BTL mortgage availability though as a number of banks initially stated they would not lend in ares with these rules in place ...methinks there's going to be a u turn from the banks in question

Wow, perhaps the Tories will do all the things Labour should have done. Next they will be introducing rent controls and a mansion property tax :lol: !

Suddenly btl changes from a business to more like a hobby?

Did you not read all the shit that BTL spiv Mark Alexander posted? Their goal seems to be that landlords are treated liked amateurs with allowances made all the time and tenants are purely professional, never allowed any leeway.

I hope they all burn (metaphorically in a banking bonfire of the vanities)

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

Did you not read all the shit that BTL spiv Mark Alexander posted? Their goal seems to be that landlords are treated liked amateurs with allowances made all the time and tenants are purely professional, never allowed any leeway.

I hope they all burn (metaphorically in a banking bonfire of the vanities)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/204246-dedicated-landlord-property-portal/

They licensed banks.

Look what happened there.

Are you suggesting that I'll be able to pay my taxes with my landlord's endorsement of my promise to pay my taxes? (On the rent front, if my landlord is willing to offer vendor financing at extend and pretend rates, I'm all for it - I can make the rent, but why give it away?)

Edited by bland unsight

Is this a way to also find out who's not paying tax?

Although if you are using a letting agency surely they'll just pick up this legal requirement?

I suspect that many of those who don't pay tax now will not register anyway. A lot of them will presumably be slumlords letting to illegals and collecting the rent in cash, and the illegals certainly won't be reporting them to the authorities.

It is possible that Cameron is talking about just introducing mandatory licensing for all HMOs. Currently licensing of some types of HMOs is discretionary for councils.

"We’ll also crack down on the unscrupulous landlords who cram houses full of illegal migrants, by introducing a new mandatory licensing regime. And, a bit like ending jobs when visas expire, we’ll consult on cancelling tenancies automatically at the same point. It’s not just through housing and jobs; we can track down illegal migrants through the banking system too."

Sounds like empty rhetoric, HMOs are already licensed.

So those who are slum lords breaking or ignoring the laws now are going to carry on breaking or ignoring more laws while housing illegal immigrants. This proposal does nothing to fix that.

It will however catch BTLers who want to rent to legal occupants. To me its all about the tax, the government has no money. The conservatives didn't expect to win the election with a majority, now they have and there is no other party to scapegoat when it all goes tits up.

I do have to say I don't think its a bad idea to license landlords so that they pay tax and obey the rules. It could help with the licenses being revoked if they don't play fair with tenants, this will only work for legal tenants as illegal ones are in a catch 22 situation. For the illegal ones, not to sound too harsh but you shouldn't be here so why should the electorate care.

The current HMO licencing regime is about regulating accommodation standards and safety, rather than who the tenents are.

Sounds good. So are they planning to start collecting income tax from "amateur" landlords next?

Newham which introduced landlord licensing for all landlords seems to have been pretty successful in identifying slumlords and homes that have not been licensed.

http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/newham-council-prosecutes-landlords-and-agents-at-rate-of-almost-one-a-day/

From the article;

In March 2015, there was a change in the law lifting the financial cap on future housing prosecutions. Following a successful prosecution, the Courts can now award an unlimited fine for many housing offences and this is likely to result in higher fines being awarded in the future.
Edited by fru-gal

"We’ll also crack down on the unscrupulous landlords who cram houses full of illegal migrants, by introducing a new mandatory licensing regime. And, a bit like ending jobs when visas expire, we’ll consult on cancelling tenancies automatically at the same point. It’s not just through housing and jobs; we can track down illegal migrants through the banking system too."

Some councils license some HMOs.

Typically the HMO has to have 4 or more unrelated tenants.

The government owuld be better off getting data from BTL lenders and mining data by looking at who owns a house and who lives there. It would not take too much effort and, IFAIN, be legal.

Wouldn't it be better if the government just kept their grubby paws off the housing market?

If they (Labour, LibDems & Conservatives) had not propped-up house prices with low interest rates, QE, and various schemes to divert taxpayers money directly into the housing market, many BTL landlords would have gone bust years ago and house prices would be 50%+ lower.

From the OP's Property Industry link

Until now, the Tories have always rejected any such policy, and it did not appear in their election manifesto.

Apart from the rights and the wrongs of it if Labour had mentioned it before the election then it would have been red Ed this and red Ed that. If red Ed had been elected Labour would probably be announcing it now as well.

It's the LibLabCon.

Edited by billybong

Wouldn't it be better if the government just kept their grubby paws off the housing market?

In practical terms it doesn't really matter if it would or wouldn't be better for the government to step back and let markets work when it comes to housing as no party is offering this.

In terms of the specific policy Cameron is proposing here (mandatory licensing of private landlords) I'm quite happy if the end result is that more of them pay income tax or sell up to avoid being caught by HMRC.

Edited by Dorkins