House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Ed Balls Speaks The Truth

He could be one of those politicians who transforms into something more interesting when no longer in a position to do harm.

Though come to think of it, those are more often tories like Portillo or Widecombe, definitely not the likes of Blair. Nor I think Miliblair. On the other hand, Tony Benn was second to none in his transformation from nightmare to elder statesman.

Ed Balls to give up politics following his surprise defeat at general election

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/22/ed-balls-give-up-politics-surprise-defeat-general-election

Oh, could it be true.. it's too much to hope for.

That said, actually, I have an inkling, and it's no more than that, that he is actually quite intelligent.

The only issue is that he is so intensely dislikeable and appears so insincere ("would you buy a used car from this man?") that I can't stand to see or listen to him.

edballs.jpg

Ed Balls to give up politics following his surprise defeat at general election

Oh, could it be true.. it's too much to hope for.

That said, actually, I have an inkling, and it's no more than that, that he is actually quite intelligent.

With a missus who is now in the running for his intended job, he's in much the same position as Miliblair was when Milibrown got the job. He'll want to keep out of her way now if he's got the willpower for it. But having been so much in the limelight, it may not be so easy to give it up, and buggering off to a cushy job abroad might not look so good either.

Mr and Mrs Balls have dug themselves into a hole which they will never extricate themselves from...denial that it was incorrect to run a deficit when the economy was in total overdrive and we were in a boom 1999-2007.

They just can't say sorry for contributing to the debt we now face. Handing over a structural deficit of 11% was impossible to turn around quickly.

The public know that, except the die hard party faithful who will get the party vote come what may, and think if we had spent even more we wouldn't now be so indebted.

Sorry, but whatever happened after 2010 the country faced a disaster debt wise. A few billion extra spent after 2010 would have made little difference.

My guess is Labour 2010-2015 and the debt would be even higher.

Why all the love for Ed Balls on this thread? He didn't say a single interesting thing during the interview. He just did the usual "I'm proud of our record, I think we were arguing for the right things but we just didn't do a good enough job of explaining it to the public" act.

No sign at all of him being somebody who might go away and decide that maybe he'd got some important things fundamentally wrong.

No, you have to read politicians' words more carefully than that - it is more a small admission of culpability whilst blaming 'Ed'.

Its simpler than that. he didnt persuade his constituents he should continue as their MP.