House Price Crash Forum
Bill D'arblay

Quality Of Uk Jobs Stalls For The First Time

BBC Business News Article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32844354

The lack of growth in the country's skill profile may be partly explained by there being a bigger-than-average increase in hours worked by people aged 16 to 29, who would be expected to have lower wages and skill profiles than more experienced workers.

Indeed. But no mention why this is - Uncontrolled and out of control immigration of low skilled workers or skilled workers willing to do a minimum wage job.

Worse. They ignore the army of millions of the over 50 year old, ex IT Architects, Lawyers, Software developers, Financial Sector etc etc who are either earning <£10k self employed or are pretending self-employment.

The fact that labour quality continued rising after the financial crisis even though the value of the work done per hour declined is part of what has been called the productivity puzzle.

the clue to this 'puzzle' is the retail car parks rammed with nice cars driven by 'working' people throughout the working day who do nothing save send and receive a couple emails and turn up in the office three times a year to @rselick when the big cheezes are in town.

I am old enough to remember when, from 9:15am to 12:00 and 1:30pm to 4:45 town traffic was virtually non-existant and the motorways were populated solely with trucks and reps.

I know many in self employment earning the same or less than 20 years ago. Some a lot less, all in nominal terms,

Edited by onlyme2

BBC Business News Article

Indeed. But no mention why this is - Uncontrolled and out of control immigration of low skilled workers or skilled workers willing to do a minimum wage job.

Worse. They ignore the army of millions of the over 50 year old, ex IT Architects, Lawyers, Software developers, Financial Sector etc etc who are either earning <£10k self employed or are pretending self-employment.

the clue to this 'puzzle' is the retail car parks rammed with nice cars driven by 'working' people throughout the working day who do nothing save send and receive a couple emails and turn up in the office three times a year to @rselick when the big cheezes are in town.

I am old enough to remember when, from 9:15am to 12:00 and 1:30pm to 4:45 town traffic was virtually non-existant and the motorways were populated solely with trucks and reps.

Every leisure spot is also rammed full during the week during the summer and on nice days the sea fronts and beaches are busy as well. It's all ages.

It's like it's been intentionally designed that way to make the outlets more efficient between weekends and to help people to part with their money/benefits/tax credits.

Edited by billybong

I known many in self employment earning the same or less than 20 years ago. Some a lot less, all in nominal terms,

..such declarations are to ward of tax ....their quality of life, also, will most likely be higher... as they plead poverty.... :rolleyes:

..such declarations are to ward of tax ....their quality of life, also, will most likely be higher... as they plead poverty.... :rolleyes:

Nope, not in the slightest the ones I know of - self employment route not the way to claim benefits or additional support. This is pure wage arbitrage, constant / devaluing pay rates for work, that sort of thing. The internet has played its part, has kippered publishing and everything associated with it for example.

Nope, not in the slightest the ones I know of - self employment route not the way to claim benefits or additional support. This is pure wage arbitrage, constant / devaluing pay rates for work, that sort of thing. The internet has played its part, has kippered publishing and everything associated with it for example.

Technology is destroying lots of jobs, I was talking to a bloke who used to be a photographer, remember those? when photography was difficult and technical unlike now when anyone can take a half decent snap with a phone.

"they" have been testing self driving lorries in pheonix arizona, trials kept secret for obvious reasons. We may see a loss of most jobs in our lifetimes, so we either have a radical rethink of how society is structured or a big ass war to thin out the surplus population.

The internet has played its part, has kippered publishing and everything associated with it for example.

I don't know about 'kippered' but it is changing out of all recognition. Back in the day before tinternet I cannot remember a single newspaper columnist who's main job was not just being a colummnist. Now they all seem to be people who have other 'main jobs'. Also the nuts & bolts of publishing are much cheaper/easier with blogging & publishing software.

Much worse was the completely cynical way in which execs would decide that a certain skill set was not worth paying the market rate for and then get 'business' to lobby the government regarding a non-existant 'skills-shortage' in order for them to get that skill proiritised on the 'points system' for non-EU nationals.

Many times I saw execs from agencies like Tech Mahindra turn up in the office and then a couple of months later entire departments would be let go except for the solitary guy retained for 'skills transfer' for a couple of months. I saw this many times and personally know many people who never worked in that field again.

To be fair, it isn't just the BBC ignoring immigration - the BBC has just taken some points from the report, which doesn't mention immigration either. Or indeed automation or technology.

Sh1t, lazy journalism then. A bit like doing an article on air particulates and not mentioning deisels.

I don't know about 'kippered' but it is changing out of all recognition. Back in the day before tinternet I cannot remember a single newspaper columnist who's main job was not just being a colummnist. Now they all seem to be people who have other 'main jobs'. Also the nuts & bolts of publishing are much cheaper/easier with blogging & publishing software.

Much worse was the completely cynical way in which execs would decide that a certain skill set was not worth paying the market rate for and then get 'business' to lobby the government regarding a non-existant 'skills-shortage' in order for them to get that skill proiritised on the 'points system' for non-EU nationals.

Many times I saw execs from agencies like Tech Mahindra turn up in the office and then a couple of months later entire departments would be let go except for the solitary guy retained for 'skills transfer' for a couple of months. I saw this many times and personally know many people who never worked in that field again.

Future PLC is a good example of magazine publishing that run into serious problems, but that is not alone, it rund right through the book publishing world too.

There is no skills shortage, there are 100,00's out there with lots of skills, but not at the right price or in the "slightly" wrong sector. I do not blame those who turn their back once treated such a way, no reason to expect any different in the next job.

What is interesting is a lot of the tech media - the independent part of it at least, to a large extent very politics savvy and knowing exactly what has been going on

The internet has played its part, has kippered publishing and everything associated with it for example.

Yes. Thanks to the Internet, far more writers can make a living from writing, because most of the income from their books isn't going to publishing fat-cats.

Yes. Thanks to the Internet, far more writers can make a living from writing, because most of the income from their books isn't going to publishing fat-cats.

Yes and no, income most definitely, living, well not so sure about that. In some ways the internet has concentrated earnings to a smaller number of authors for example. The first flush was very good for individuals en masse but after that the big publishers take control again. Look at the mobile app market - huge amount of the income going to very few publishers after the market is only a few years old. Like I said professionals that I know in the market are having in many cases a much harder time now than 20 years ago.

"they" have been testing self driving lorries in pheonix arizona, trials kept secret for obvious reasons. We may see a loss of most jobs in our lifetimes, so we either have a radical rethink of how society is structured or a big ass war to thin out the surplus population.

I saw a map of the USA recently where each state was labeled according to the largest area of employment in that state- more than three quarters were labeled 'Truck Driver'. I was quite shocked to be honest.

Take a look here;

https://medium.com/basic-income/self-driving-trucks-are-going-to-hit-us-like-a-human-driven-truck-b8507d9c5961

yup, transport/logistics is the last big employer, a truck usually goes form depot to depot on highways plus there is a financial incentive to the trucks running 247. This will be where it comes first then it will filter down to taxis and other smaller vehicles. This is how technology always goes, one year a big expensive commercial application the next year mass market.

So what do we do with all the people and ever less jobs?

""they" have been testing self driving lorries in pheonix arizona, trials kept secret for obvious reasons"

Can't be that secret, as there have been loads of articles about self driving trucks in the media.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-benz-future-truck-2025-self-driving-truck-2014-09-24

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/ata-self-driving-trucks-are-close-to-inevitable/

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/first-self-driving-lorry-ready-134515573.html

Wonder what will happen to employment in vast swathes of the US loses their primary occupation?

Automation of the entire distribution system must be coming in the next 5 to 10 years.

I wonder if you could automate a farm too.

Just on a side note have you noticed in a new mcdonalds how many "machines" there are now? I bet we will see the first automatic maccers soon too.

I would liketo think we are headed towards a venus project future but I doubt it. They will probably use the robots to kill us off,

""they" have been testing self driving lorries in pheonix arizona, trials kept secret for obvious reasons"

Can't be that secret, as there have been loads of articles about self driving trucks in the media.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/mercedes-benz-future-truck-2025-self-driving-truck-2014-09-24

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/ata-self-driving-trucks-are-close-to-inevitable/

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/first-self-driving-lorry-ready-134515573.html

Wonder what will happen to employment in vast swathes of the US loses their primary occupation?

Automation of the entire distribution system must be coming in the next 5 to 10 years.

The West has two choices;

Full on automation with a citizens wage and big economy

or

Tiny feudal economy with 0.01% super rich and 99.99% in servitude. (Yes feudalism would involve a huge cull of the 1%)

6840712_f520.jpg