House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

The 'avocado Bathroom Suite' Of 2015

Amusing piece in the Times today - what will be the scorned and derided feature of the future?

Among others are suggested the 'statement' bath ('They do not need to make a statement. If baths could talk they would complain that sticking them in the middle of the room is draughty and takes up ridiculous amounts of space'), fireplaces with pebbles in, shutters instead of curtains, and decking. (Rats are very fond of decking).

Suggestions?

The kitchen island

The boiler tap - too easy for kids - and daft adults - to scald themselves

Cream leather lounge suites

Shiny white TV/hifi units

Glass splashbacks

I predict that soon black will be the new white

Amusing piece in the Times today - what will be the scorned and derided feature of the future?

Among others are suggested the 'statement' bath ('They do not need to make a statement. If baths could talk they would complain that sticking them in the middle of the room is draughty and takes up ridiculous amounts of space'), fireplaces with pebbles in, shutters instead of curtains, and decking. (Rats are very fond of decking).

Suggestions?

Cheap laminate floors.

Some canny person with a huge warehouse has been storing up all these avocado bathrooms being chucked out for nothing - in readiness for the day when they become 'cool' again. It wont be long.

As for todays items ? The horrendous fake fireplaces must be #1. They looked pish from day one.

One thing that irritate's me is this random placing of words stating the obvious on walls.

Things like 'cook' in the kitchen, 'bath' in the bathroom, 'home' in the hallway...as if people are too thick to remember what one is supposed to do in the kitchen. Very Orwellian.

******** like this

66eb7ce40e9b3822c4bad266b478a016.jpg

Remind me of this

obey_consume.jpg

A mates girlfriend has put literally dozens such things around their house. Its like a cuddly toy replacement...or something.

One thing that irritate's me is this random placing of words stating the obvious on walls.

Things like 'cook' in the kitchen, 'bath' in the bathroom, 'home' in the hallway...as if people are too thick to remember what one is supposed to do in the kitchen. Very Orwellian.

******** like this

Remind me of this

obey_consume.jpg

A mates girlfriend has put literally dozens such things around their house. Its like a cuddly toy replacement...or something.

Great idea - I'm going to start a business selling a big 'OBEY' for people to stick on their walls :-)

By the time this thread dies a death, you lot would have us living in places with all the charm of an eastern European cold war holiday camp and the functionality of a Dickensian slum.

It would be like renting again.

By the time this thread dies a death, you lot would have us living in places with all the charm of an eastern European cold war holiday camp and the functionality of a Dickensian slum.

It would be like renting again.

The Eastern European cold war holiday camp look is soooo hot this summer.

Definitely decking - it goes all slippy after a few years and looks terrible with the surface worn off and stuff growing or even living underneath.

Conservatories are also up there - they are too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Better to spend a bit more and build a 'sun room' with decent brick walls to partly replace the minimum 70% glass requirement of a conservatory and provide some insulation to make it a useable inside space.

But the top entry is undersized bedrooms. A 6x6 or 7x7 mini bedroom is useless for anything other than an infant. And they tend to grow into teenagers and adults, in my experience. They are just useless for a family home, unless for use as an office. There should be sensible minimum bedroom sizes in law (i.e. 8x8 or more).

Also to add - slightly different angle but similar.

'Fashionable' words for food types. Its getting to ridiculous levels.

"Artisan" bread

Thai ''Street" food

People are adding it in front of literally anything these days.

Try our artisan bananas.

Buy some half price street toothpaste.

Decking definitely.

Twigs in vases.

The fake wood/fake granite kitchen unit combination.

laminate flooring/stripped, sanded and oiled floorboards - carpet will come back

shabby chic - we will mourn the number of lovely pieces of furniture lost to over zealous varnish stripping, and then coating in cheap emulsion

log cabins.

Crafty hipster faux authentic look and appliances

And even though I have them....solar panels. I think they'll simply be integrated into roof tiles in years to come (already exist but expensive).

Great idea - I'm going to start a business selling a big 'OBEY' for people to stick on their walls :-)

Don't forget "MARRY AND REPRODUCE".

Actually I'd love to walk into somebody's house and see that emblazoned across the lounge wall. :)

Definitely decking - it goes all slippy after a few years and looks terrible with the surface worn off and stuff growing or even living underneath.

Conservatories are also up there - they are too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Better to spend a bit more and build a 'sun room' with decent brick walls to partly replace the minimum 70% glass requirement of a conservatory and provide some insulation to make it a useable inside space.

But the top entry is undersized bedrooms. A 6x6 or 7x7 mini bedroom is useless for anything other than an infant. And they tend to grow into teenagers and adults, in my experience. They are just useless for a family home, unless for use as an office. There should be sensible minimum bedroom sizes in law (i.e. 8x8 or more).

Absolutely anything of a temporary nature in the garden is one bloody liability.

Add to that gardens without trees, hedges and plants, soul destroying.

******** like this

I've always wanted to have DRIBBLING GRUNTCAKES on my living room wall.

Suggestions?

Yes could never understand why anyone would stick a bath in the middle of a room......nowhere to park the soap. ;)