House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpectrumFX

Immigration Checks By Landlords

Just heard Teresa May mention this on the breakfast news. Its already running in some areas and going national soon.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/immigration-checks-by-landlords/

A couple of issues come to mind;

How can landlords be assumed to be fit and proper people to carry out these checks when they are entirely unregulated? These checks involve handing over a chunk of sensitive personal information.

With these checks already in place for employment, you essentially now need a passport as a de facto ID card. The other option is multiple documents including a long form birth certificate and a document from a previous employer showing NI number.

In other news criminals running lets, shiver and quiver and shake as May says she is going to enforce checks on tenants.

I once was asked to show my passport as proof of permission to work... in order to give a one hour presentation! I showed them it but I said it was not possible for them to make a photocopy, for 'security reasons'. They didn't like that!

Between this proposal, and the illegals' wages being seized idea being discussed, it's like they are trying to contrive a complete 'black economy' where people shuttle between unscrupulous landlords and sweatshop labour. If they dare complain, they then get turfed out of the country. Feudalism is beginning to appear like an enlightened and progressive social system in comparison.

Makes me sick.

Two friends of mine in low paid jobs, living in a rented flat don't have passports as they 've never wanted or been able to afford to go abroad for a holiday. So they are now going to have to forkout to get a passport. Don't have driving licences either as they can't realistically afford to run and insure a car.

Pehaps they 'll use this to introduce ID cards by the backdoor as a cheap alternative to the passport.

Makes me sick.

Two friends of mine in low paid jobs, living in a rented flat don't have passports as they 've never wanted or been able to afford to go abroad for a holiday. So they are now going to have to forkout to get a passport. Don't have driving licences either as they can't realistically afford to run and insure a car.

Pehaps they 'll use this to introduce ID cards by the backdoor as a cheap alternative to the passport.

They may introduce ID cards, though how much cheaper than passports they would be, I don't know.

A passport is currently £72.50 or £82.25 if you use Check and Send. A provisional driving licence costs £34 (it was reduced in autumn last year). When ID cards were issued under the scheme that was cancelled, they cost £30, but that was in 2009/10 and the fee was expected to rise as the costs of running the scheme were so huge.

You can use other forms of ID, according to the government - page 4 & 5 of this document https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/370484/document_guidance_for_landlords.pdf

If an agency or landlord gets awkward, it might be worth having a laminated printout of the relevant pages in the guide.

Not sure if it deserves its' own thread, but seem relevant here as it's TPTB telling others to collect data etc.

Loads of biz & personal info now required to sell on amazon. THey say it's Eu, but I wonder if amazon are providing little folks info to eu / hmrc to distract from their own tax dodging.

Previously, none were requested.

They now require scanned copies of passport /D. license.

bank statement

household / biz bill to prove address

tax ref. (i've never been asked for this)

ltd co details if applicable

http://amazombies.co.uk/index.php/topic,2888.0.html

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=99987&tstart=0

Makes me sick.

Most likely the passport will be reduced to a card and made a requirement for so many things that most people start carrying one as a matter of course. At that stage they can be re-branded and made mandatory with the minimum of fuss.

Nudge, nudge

olde guto...I assume that they have birth certificates though?...these can be used!

Only the long form which costs extra, and only in association with another form of ID

Makes me sick.

After dwelling in bedsit land from the ages of 16 to 20, I can see many tens of thousands at the bottom of society ending up with nowhere to live. Many of these people do not have the intelligence or money to acquire a passport or look after one if they did manage to get one.

Perhaps a letter from the job center/social would be accepted as they would have to perform checks themselves.

Creates jobs innit?

Exactly so. I wonder if landlords will have to provide the same details about themselves?

Exactly so. I wonder if landlords will have to provide the same details about themselves?

I think the assumption is that they're de facto stand up pillars of society :)

In all likelyhood hairdressers will be regulated before landlords are. It's mental.

Makes me sick.

Former colleague of mine with no valid passport or driving licence was executor for an old uncle. His bank and building society demanded a passport or DL for ID. She is highly intelligent with a v stroppy streak and told them that since it is not a legal requirement to possess either, they were not entitled to demand them. It was quite a tussle but she held her ground and they gave in eventually. Forget what ID they did finally accept, though.

What a bizarre country the UK now is. First they overprice housing, then they raise rents beyond normal people, then they say you cannot live there anyway if you don't have certain papers that 'they' themselves control.

Former colleague of mine with no valid passport or driving licence was executor for an old uncle. His bank and building society demanded a passport or DL for ID. She is highly intelligent with a v stroppy streak and told them that since it is not a legal requirement to possess either, they were not entitled to demand them. It was quite a tussle but she held her ground and they gave in eventually. Forget what ID they did finally accept, though.

Thankfully they can be fairly stroppy as well, but there is something wrong with country where you have to jump through extra hoops just because you don't have non-mandatory documents.

An illegal immigrant will either get someone with the correct documents to stand-in for them, will get fake ID made, if they know someone who looks similar to them will borrow their ID or will find a dodgy landlord.

As I said I'm sure this and other things will be a backdoor for ID cards, they'll make life so difficult for Brits that they'll gladly accept an ID card.