House Price Crash Forum

Police Could Seize Illegal Workers' Wages Under Tory Plans

HOLA441

Anyone else remember when Cameron told the British public they should kick him out if he failed to get immigration back into the tens of thousands?

Being as it's now over 300K a year (way way higher than when he came into office) I'm guessing most have forgotten...

HOLA442

If it does work it will be brilliant...lots more jobs!...all be it minimum wage, zero hour contract jobs.

This is just a smoke screen to avoid the real issues i.e. a failing economy despite what we are told.

That will be reliant on WTC, actually putting up the welfare bill and no doubt, mostly taken up by people in from the EU, as the wages wouldn't be enough to get people off welfare.

Here's a novel idea....commandeer the assets of the illegal employers...sell them...and use the money to employ additional border officers to stop/check illegals coming in at 'our' borders...no, thought that one was a little too logical!

It's best to do both, in my eyes; take both parties down, make it unattractive to all of them. They are, after all, making money out of crime. However, as someone said earlier, it could be that they are opening up that law to make the catchnet larger.

HOLA443

I believe that a lot of illegal workers live at subsistence levels and send any surplus wages back home.

So there would be little to seize.

I suspect that's not the point though.

This serves two useful purposes for the government - Firstly, it plays well to a populist anti-immigration theme and gets them kudos for 'doing something'. Secondly, it allows them to further extend the scope of laws which enable them to seize wealth from anyone they like using a pseudo-plausible excuse to distract the simple minded public from realising they are giving up freedoms. They've been doing the same thing with 'anti terror' laws for years.

HOLA444

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454

Just fecking hilarious, the banker criminals in the City get to make millions and lose none of their money or wages and probably the poorest paid workers in the country are going to be taxed 100% by the government.

Got to love moral hazard, why aren't we seeing laws that if you run a bank and it goes bankrupt the directors get taxed 100% for their failure.

+1

Criminals wear suits

HOLA445
HOLA446

POCA is already used to take the savings of people being deported. This isn't a new thing. Mags courts have been hearing these cases for ages. And it's an evil piece of law. The court proceedings take place under "civil" rules which mean 1) standard of proof is only balance of probability, not beyond reasonable doubt, 2) legal aid is not available, and 3) translators are not available (which means of lot of people up before the court can't even being to defend their right to the money seized and under civil rules no defence means you lose.)

As always the articulate middle class won't be inconvenienced by this law while the poor/foreign/low IQ will be walked all over.

HOLA447

No doubt the dumb unthinking masses will lap up this populist move.......without realising the implications of setting such a legal precedent. And those few who do will no doubt spout the usual "oh but such laws/powers will never be used against ordinary law abiding citizens it's only for illegals....".

Spot on!

HOLA448

Here's a novel idea....commandeer the assets of the illegal employers...sell them...and use the money to employ additional border officers to stop/check illegals coming in at 'our' borders...no, thought that one was a little too logical!

Well here are a three reasons why this won't happen

Conservative

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26101442

Labour

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8260088.stm

Cult of Farage UKIP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/10835572/Ukip-candidates-firm-employed-illegal-immigrants.html

Funnily enough the pro-immigration LibDems don't appear to employ many illegals, a quick google that turned-up cases for the other parties had nothing for them.

HOLA449

Cameron et al have no idea about the actual cost of "illegal" working going on.

There are loads of building sites staffed by foreign nationals who are employed and paid in their native countries. That's why you see so many redevelopments of residential sites.

I think the nub of what they are attempting is to reduce the burden on councils tackling the beds in sheds. At the moment if children are involve they have to find accommodation if they evict them. In the future they'll be able to deport. Also for the tenants to have been able to afford to pay rent they would have been working illegally. Now they can be deported without all the previous legal hurdles. That ability will act as a deterrent.

The UKBA should have their budget doubled to start with.

HOLA4410

Illegal immigrants have often been massively exploited before they even get here, by the people (usually their ow nationality) who have promised them well paid jobs and demanded huge fees, often putting their families deeply in debt. They may not all end up like the poor Morecambe cockle-pickers, but I suspect many are in pretty dire circs.

The only answer can surely be to hit those who employ them hard. It was at least ten years ago now, but someone near here, Middle Eastern origin, was having a large extension built on his house. The labour, which could have been Filipino but I never found out, was dropped off every day from a big white van driven by a huge and intimidating looking bloke with an Irish accent. Every time I walked past the house the workers had a scared and hunted look. I often felt I should have a word with the Old Bill, since I was sure they were illegal, but I didn't, because they always looked frightened and I felt sorry for them.

There's a wide spectrum of illegal immigrants, with the exploited on one extreme side of things.

(I'm looking for a thread about the Conservative Landlord Licensing announcement - although there's no real details yet.)

RE: Cameron announces nationwide landlord licencing scheme

Largely yes its gang related.

Some Chinese ladies I was speaking to the other day on another property raid told me that the Triad gangs bring them here for free but then they have to work off the debt (they arent told how much) in the sex trade, DVD factories or cannabis farms.

The cannabis farms we go to are regularly booby trapped to deter rival gangs. The hazards involve pots of acid balanced on doors, window handles wired up to the mains and powdered glass smeared onto CD hanging from the ceiling. You dont notice them but they sway in the breeze and you breathe the glass in.

Gangs often put women and even children inside to telephone in case of attack, so they live around these booby traps.

With the Romanian criminal community we are seeing more trafficking and sex trade stuff.

There are always people happy to exploit the most vulnerable. Cameron's plans including the 'right to rent', wont deter immigration but it will push the housing side of things further underground, often literally. I have found people living under floors and even in one case a while back women chained to a wall under a trapdoor.

It is so often the case that the immigrants themselves are victims being preyed upon by their countrymen usually who keep them hostage to £2 an hour jobs, living 4 to a room on mattresses and in some cases threats to harm their families at home.

http://www.propertytribes.com/cameron-announces-nationwide-landlord-licencing-scheme-t-14504-4.html

Archived