House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Fighting Hiv Where The Bbc Doesn't Admit It's A Problem

The BBC has this report on HIV in Russia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32792830

Fighting HIV where no-one admits it's a problem

The phrase "Aids epidemic" awakens distant memories in most of Europe, Australia or the Americas, where infection rates have generally been in decline for years. But as former UK Health Secretary Lord Fowler explains, the phrase is not used in Russia either - despite failed policies that have allowed infection rates to soar.

Here in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hiv-infections-continue-to-rise

HIV infections continue to rise

We could have killed HIV in a generation in the UK. As viruses go it's not particularly dangerous.

Instead the bleeding heart policies will let it slowly creep to critical mass.

The report shows around 6% of gay and bisexual men are now living with HIV, rising to 13% in London

Bloody hell. I must confess that I'd thought this was something which had "more or less gone away".

Bloody hell. I must confess that I'd thought this was something which had "more or less gone away".

Nope. For me, a great, great example of how PC ness has killed, and will kill thousands of innocent Brits. The NHS should have done national testing at the start, with isolation and/or sex drive suppressant implants. Testing for all immigrants . temporary residents. Would have kept the numbers in single figures.

Now they still refuse to face reality that heterosexual sexual relationships without ******** sex/blood swapping are very very low risk. Testing and resources should be on African/male homosexual vectors, with again sexual drive suppressants by law.

The death of thousands is on the hands of the PC brigade.

Nope. For me, a great, great example of how PC ness has killed, and will kill thousands of innocent Brits. The NHS should have done national testing at the start, with isolation and/or sex drive suppressant implants. Testing for all immigrants . temporary residents. Would have kept the numbers in single figures.

Now they still refuse to face reality that heterosexual sexual relationships without ******** sex/blood swapping are very very low risk. Testing and resources should be on African/male homosexual vectors, with again sexual drive suppressants by law.

Hmmm. I find myself thinking that if you will indulge in casual sex without protection - and I don't mean to sound like somebody's Mum, I haven't exactly been Mr. Chastity but then I've never taken serious risks - then you place yourself at risk, and it's only contagious through sex (it's not as if you often swap blood with others).

I don't mean to decry or dismiss the misery to those with the illness, but for the Libertarian bit of me the idea of compulsory "treatment" will never work. For it to propagate requires two willing parties.

And when you're gay, you know damn well that "bare-backing" (as it is called, e.g. unprotected) is highly conducive to transmission, so you only have yourself to blame.

Compulsory HIV testing required to get a temporary work visa for Canada.*

I'm guessing that this is not a requirement for the UK.

* I was living in South Africa at the time of application - not sure if this is required if you are based in a less plague ridden corner of the world.

Compulsory HIV testing required to get a temporary work visa for Canada.*

I'm guessing that this is not a requirement for the UK.

* I was living in South Africa at the time of application - not sure if this is required if you are based in a less plague ridden corner of the world.

I had to take an HIV test before they gave me my permanent resident visa (Canadian equivalent of the US Green Card). I believe it's pretty much a guaranteed refusal for a worker visa, since they reject anyone who'll cost more than ~$6,000 a year in medical fees, but not for a family visa (wife/husband/parents/etc).

Pretty the same with tuberculosis. Our TB rates are almost twice as high as the western European average with three quarters of those infected born overseas.

Hmm...

Pretty the same with tuberculosis. Our TB rates are almost twice as high as the western European average with three quarters of those infected born overseas.

Yeah, I had to do a TB test, too.

I know someone who works with the NHS in London, and when you say that PC ness is killing thousands, you're not wrong. HIV is highly concentrated among gay men and African immigrants, but the NHS refuses to target testing on those populations because doing so would be "racist" and "homophobic". Literally, that's what the people in the NHS in charge of fighting HIV transmission say out loud, and no one in the NHS bats an eyelid. Thousands of people are becoming infected because the NHS refuses to follow scientific evidence and common sense.

I know someone who works with the NHS in London, and when you say that PC ness is killing thousands, you're not wrong. HIV is highly concentrated among gay men and African immigrants, but the NHS refuses to target testing on those populations because doing so would be "racist" and "homophobic". Literally, that's what the people in the NHS in charge of fighting HIV transmission say out loud, and no one in the NHS bats an eyelid. Thousands of people are becoming infected because the NHS refuses to follow scientific evidence and common sense.

But even if there were a desire to "target" people for tests, there isn't a "database of now or previously sexually active gay men". I suppose there might be a database of "recent African immigrants" assuming that the immigration was legal.

Call me harsh but this appears to be something that only affects the two willing participants.

A straight guy who has unprotected sex with a woman on the basis that she says she's on the pill may well look forward to a stream of child maintenance payments for children they will never or rarely see (I know someone in exactly this position, and it's twins), assuming the man don't catch anything from her.

Isn't the risk just too high?

But even if there were a desire to "target" people for tests, there isn't a "database of now or previously sexually active gay men". I suppose there might be a database of "recent African immigrants" assuming that the immigration was legal.

Call me harsh but this appears to be something that only affects the two willing participants.

A straight guy who has unprotected sex with a woman on the basis that she says she's on the pill may well look forward to a stream of child maintenance payments for children they will never or rarely see (I know someone in exactly this position, and it's twins), assuming the man don't catch anything from her.

Isn't the risk just too high?

But it's not just the two people affected. Rapes happen. someone married to a secretly gay person can catch it without making any risk decision. And beside that, the cost is borune by society (i.e. taxpayer). Plus, once infected numbers meet a critical mass, it will bleed over into hetrosexual populations...

But even if there were a desire to "target" people for tests, there isn't a "database of now or previously sexually active gay men".

Come on - don't be so defeatist !! You are an IT bod. How about some programme to match male forenames on FB with clicks on the meme pics of fluffy rabbits ?

:D

Plus, once infected numbers meet a critical mass, it will bleed over into hetrosexual populations...

Which is exactly why it's right to treat people with ARVs.

Get the viral load (RNA copies per ml3) down to undetectable and transmission drops radically.

This is also a pan-EU strategy, apparently.

ED: Fat Fingers

I wonder if the rise of Grindr and the like will increase the average partner count of the average gay man and lead to a measurable increase in infected people over the next few years.

I have this notion in my head of gay men being more promiscuous that straight men, but I don't know enough gay peole to know if that's actually true in reality. Neither of the gay men I've known in 'real life' were uber-promiscuous.

I wonder if the rise of Grindr and the like will increase the average partner count of the average gay man and lead to a measurable increase in infected people over the next few years.

I have this notion in my head of gay men being more promiscuous that straight men, but I don't know enough gay peole to know if that's actually true in reality. Neither of the gay men I've known in 'real life' were uber-promiscuous.

Oh, they are. I've got quite a few LGBT mates and the number of M/M relationships that turn out to be 'open' is much higher than those with women in.

Gay dating is basically men's sex drive honestly exposed. Physical attraction, multiple partners, and ready to go in 4 minutes.

Men will generally ****** anything if given the chance. Put 2 of them together ? ****** central.

Its not exactly rocket science is it ?

There have been gay dating sites for many (15 or more) years (met my partner on one).

Though I don't honestly know, I did "both scenes" (different groups of mates) and I don't think it is true that gay men are more promiscuous (in terms of going all the way) than straight ones. It may be so, though.

someone married to a secretly gay person can catch it without making any risk decision.

I may potentially appear rather harsh again. That's a trust issue between the two people concerned. It does not justify seeking to create some sort of database. I don't think that my own sexuality is a factor in that attitude.

Guest Jemmy Button

HIV is a gay disease. Of course, it's up to people what they want to do with their sexual partners but if you're gonna find sexual gratification by sticking it up the shitter, do please wear a rubber johnny - don't go bareback.

HIV is a gay disease. Of course, it's up to people what they want to do with their sexual partners but if you're gonna find sexual gratification by sticking it up the shitter, do please wear a rubber johnny - don't go bareback.

With my limited medical knowledge, I would say anyone could catch it! It certainly ripped through the "gay community", back then though!

I may potentially appear rather harsh again. That's a trust issue between the two people concerned. It does not justify seeking to create some sort of database. I don't think that my own sexuality is a factor in that attitude.

No, it's got nothing to do with your sexuality, I think exactly the same (and I'm hetero), forced medical procedures should never be allowed (and that goes for forced vaccinations or for forcibly institutionalizing 'insane' but law-abiding people, too).

Only brain-dead DM readers and those wishing to live in a totalitarian police state can be in favour of forced medical procedures.