House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Films That Are Repeated Ad-Infinitum

I see Taken is on again tomorrow night on Film4....It was only on about 4 or 5 days ago, on the same channel too...I used to have an in-running joke with an old flatmate with Crocodile Dundee...what a crap film that was...

It hid a cheesy jem though...

I have the 7" single of that one. It's a great tune. Kind of like northern cabaret mixed with the Human League and a touch of Eddy Cochran. Something for everyone.

There's a miserable little sci-fi film that has Bill Davis (X-Files) in it which always seems to be on one of the crappy channels.

I suppose one of the issues with these things being repeated all the time is that if I haven't seen it in the guide and set the box to record it, I'll think "It will be on again". Which it is. Until it isn't.

It's a bit like having someone bring the same bargain bucket of DVDs the local rental place is flogging off for £1 each to the door every day.

I have the 7" single of that one. It's a great tune. Kind of like northern cabaret mixed with the Human League and a touch of Eddy Cochran. Something for everyone.

There's a miserable little sci-fi film that has Bill Davis (X-Files) in it which always seems to be on one of the crappy channels.

I suppose one of the issues with these things being repeated all the time is that if I haven't seen it in the guide and set the box to record it, I'll think "It will be on again". Which it is. Until it isn't.

It's a bit like having someone bring the same bargain bucket of DVDs the local rental place is flogging off for £1 each to the door every day.

They just had The Running Man on again tonight...Must have seen that at least 20 times...I'm surprised they didn't do an Arnie double bill, with Kindergarten Cop...

They just had The Running Man on again tonight...Must have seen that at least 20 times...

I saw that again a couple of years ago and was surprised at how well it still held up.

I shall also confess that I had the original 12" single (second hand copy) of the closing theme delivered from Belgium a few months back. So gloriously, unashamedly 1980s.

I see Taken is on again tomorrow night on Film4....It was only on about 4 or 5 days ago, on the same channel too...I used to have an in-running joke with an old flatmate with Crocodile Dundee...what a crap film that was...

It hid a cheesy jem though...

Classic film classic song IMO (the song is probably better than the film because it is an outstanding pop song, the filmis just a very good formula type film) Enjoyed that song as a drinking soundtrack immensely in the late 80`s, saw the band advertised on a chalk board outside a tiny boozer in Australia in the mid 90`s and thought that fame must be very fleeting and cruel (didn`t even go in to see them) although from a quick google it looks like they are in it for the long haul. Playing their first gig the night Elvis died is pretty out there, although many bands probably did the same. I have a clear memory of the day Elvis died as well, as do many people...OK enough drunken rambles about Elvis and crocodiles....

I have a clear memory of the day Elvis died as well, as do many people...

I venture that you are just a few years older than I.

One film I can watch over and over is "Dante's Peak". It doesn't matter how many times I see it. It isn't even especially brilliant. There is something very endearing about it.

Why isn't that on all the time? It must be months since I saw it last.

Some of these sorts of films just do what they do very well.

I actually always quite enjoy Under Siege 2 and in fairness it has some pretty good lines.

And does any normal person want to just switch off, relax and leave their brain at the door rewatching some overrated Coen brothers crap?

Some of these sorts of films just do what they do very well.

I actually always quite enjoy Under Siege 2 and in fairness it has some pretty good lines.

Do I have the right film..

"He can't come to the phone right now, he's in a gunfight. Can I take a message?"

films with fecking BOURNE in the title. they seem to be on a permanent loop.

Oh, we don't watch those, because we have the box-set, so we can watch them any time. Except, we never do watch them.

They are good though.

I venture that you are just a few years older than I.

One film I can watch over and over is "Dante's Peak". It doesn't matter how many times I see it. It isn't even especially brilliant. There is something very endearing about it.

Why isn't that on all the time? It must be months since I saw it last.

Yes, probably, but it is my mums reaction I remember, walking past a newspaper stand (no internet then) and seeing the Elvis Dead headline, she was visibly shocked, that was one of her generations heroes, and it made an impression on me although I had no real connection to Elvis apart from the fact that he was always there in the background, larger than life, like the Beatles, Evil Knievel and the Queen. I saw the same genuine shock again a few years later when Lennon died. Can`t think of anyone who the present generation would be truly shocked to lose? Russell Brand maybe? Is that a good thing or not, I`m not sure.

Dante`s Peak is one of those films yes, as is Nowhere To Run which was on earlier. Interesting to see Ted Levine look nearly unrecognisable from his crazy performance in Silence of the Lambs in this one, although his death scene tips a nod to the more famous film.

Do I have the right film..

"He can't come to the phone right now, he's in a gunfight. Can I take a message?"

No that is US 1, and the chemistry is good between that actress and Seagal making for a great film IMO, although I don`t think she made much impact after that. The girl who plays his niece in US 2 made it pretty big in the Rom Com arena.

Do I have the right film.."He can't come to the phone right now, he's in a gunfight. Can I take a message?"

That's the first one

The baddie has all the great lines, in the second, like this one, which says it all about the absurdity of state foreign relations.

Travis Dane: Yeah, I'm gonna shock the world by spreading ca-ca all over the place. Guangzhou is a chemical weapons plant masquerading as a fertilizer plant. We know this. The Chinese know that we know. But we make-believe that we don't know and the Chinese make-believe that they believe that we don't know, but know that we know. Everybody knows.

Bourne Supremacy, I thought in particular, was/is a great film. The odd thing is that it doesn't withstand as many repeat viewings as some of these more schlocky films.

Very hard to bottle what makes a film highly rewatchable. I don't necessarily think schlocky is a factor as I think most people find stuff like Die Hard and Terminator 2 very rewatchable.

Enemy of the State, with Will Smith, I always think wears multiple re-watches well. Older stuff would be films like The Italian Job.

I can watch "Ice Cold in Alex"for ever.

Bourne Supremacy, I thought in particular, was/is a great film. The odd thing is that it doesn't withstand as many repeat viewings as some of these more schlocky films.

Which one was that? I found that they blurred together and felt a bit samey by the end.

Guest eight

Classic film classic song IMO (the song is probably better than the film because it is an outstanding pop song, the filmis just a very good formula type film) Enjoyed that song as a drinking soundtrack immensely in the late 80`s, saw the band advertised on a chalk board outside a tiny boozer in Australia in the mid 90`s and thought that fame must be very fleeting and cruel (didn`t even go in to see them) although from a quick google it looks like they are in it for the long haul. Playing their first gig the night Elvis died is pretty out there, although many bands probably did the same. I have a clear memory of the day Elvis died as well, as do many people...OK enough drunken rambles about Elvis and crocodiles....

Can`t think of anyone who the present generation would be truly shocked to lose? Russell Brand maybe?

no such luck.

I remember working in a temp job where someone said that if a Brian Dennehy film was on then there would be another film with him in it on the same day. I can remember for a while checking the film listings for a while and it always appeared to be the case that on the same day you got two films where he was in them.