House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

happy_renting

Bankers Convicted - Law Is Enforced

Private businesses should have the right to choose their customers and their employees as they see fit.

If they follow the law then yes, if they don't then no.

If you want to discriminate, then change the law. If you can't change the law, then don't discriminate.

If they follow the law then yes, if they don't then no.

If you want to discriminate, then change the law. If you can't change the law, then don't discriminate.

Some businesses legally have to discriminate against certain people. Its the fact that the law picks and chooses that's the issue.

Some businesses legally have to discriminate against certain people. Its the fact that the law picks and chooses that's the issue.

What businesses?

If they asked the bakers to partake in some bumfest for the wedding photo's then I agree, but this isn't that.

What businesses?

If they asked the bakers to partake in some bumfest for the wedding photo's then I agree, but this isn't that.

Pubs as one example.

Age discrimination.

Discrimination based on how many drinks the barman believes you have had (no evidence required for this of course)

Two cases where a business is told to discriminate due to the law !

I'm going to make a giant ***** cake to celbrate diversity! :blink:

What businesses?

Ironically, the police have some very discriminatory recruitment rules, like a minimum height (which differs between the sexes).

I don't know who is responsible for that.

"Someone or something told me I should disagree with the law, so I am not going to obey it."

I wonder where that might lead.

And what the religion of Scientology has to say on the subject. Maybe we should listen to them more closely. Or, is it not a religion? Who is to say.

I always view these cases as more like when two sets of twats collide.

The business owning religious side are generally, at the end of the day, bigots. The, I guess you'd describe them as, militant gays generally don't just happen to be patronising said business. They have deliberately targeted it in the hope of eliciting an overreaction and I think they tend towards being 'only gays in the village types' and seem to enjoy the ensuing attention.

Don't have much time for either. Best thing would be to stick them together in some Big Brother type reality show and let them get on with it, without bothering the rest of society.

It would have been more sensible for the firm to politely decline the business, and recommend the shop down the road.

It seems with this law you can refuse any customer you like unless you have a reason.

Im afraid this sort of action by minorities to ram their personal desires into every one elses face makes me rather anti them. Muslims will be demanding halal meat at all butchers if this trend continues.

Private businesses should have the right to choose their customers and their employees as they see fit.

What about a private citizens right to expect equal treatment? Can you imagine going into a shop and not knowing whether you will be served or not (ignoring such legalities as age restrictions, which are applicable regardless of your sexual orientation)?

Yes, this was deliberately done to highlight the discriminatory practices of the retailer in question, but if you felt you were being treated illegally, wouldn't you want to highlight it?

What about a private citizens right to expect equal treatment? Can you imagine going into a shop and not knowing whether you will be served or not (ignoring such legalities as age restrictions, which are applicable regardless of your sexual orientation)?

Yes, this was deliberately done to highlight the discriminatory practices of the retailer in question, but if you felt you were being treated illegally, wouldn't you want to highlight it?

What is illegal about an opinion?

It is a very hard one pitching one set of rights against another.

However, if we take the principle back to accommodation, to shelter, we know that flaws in the market make the wielding of discriminatory justice unfair.

No blacks, no Irish, no dogs....should be seared into peoples' consciousness. Or even our great rulers forcing their tenants to vote the way they want. It was not that long ago. Particularly in Ireland where Harland and Wolf and many other companies did not employ Catholics. It was against their religion, is simply not acceptable. Apartheid in America...sit at the back *******! Values change, and no doubt gay marriage will be seen to be one of them.

No blacks, no irish, no dogs....they are clearly based on a sterotype...it is clear from the outset that refusal is up front and centre with a sign in the window.

The gay issue was not one of baking the cake, they could buy any number of cakes, it was the message they demanded inscribed that was objected to.

Suppose a person went in now and demanded a cake with the very messages on that you say should be seared into our consciousness....say...you *******, no eatie. would the cake people be within their rights to refuse sale?

EDIT....my word describing a certain race was auto edited out.

Its a bit of a difficult one.

It is amusing though that there are businesses where if you DON'T discriminate you are breaking the law (As the example I gave - a pub)

Just shows the whole situation is a bit if a mess.

Its a bit of a difficult one.

It is amusing though that there are businesses where if you DON'T discriminate you are breaking the law (As the example I gave - a pub)

Just shows the whole situation is a bit if a mess.

A publican would be upholding the law, the bakers were breaking the law.

There is a fairly clear difference between the two situations.