House Price Crash Forum
Eddie_George

Government Is Seeking Your Views On What You Would Like To See In The Budget In July

A chance to vent your spleen!

The government encourages open and transparent policy-making, and welcomes original and innovative ideas. Your views will be considered by HM Treasury as part of the policy-making process.
Please submit your representation by filling in our short survey.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/budget-july-2015-have-your-say

Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BudgetJuly15

Very easy to submit. No personal details needed.

Do it!

Edited by Eddie_George

Not that I expect anyone of importance to read it, but I think I got over most of the regular points from HPC:

Remove all artificial props to UK housing.
Improve regulation for landlords
Improve regulation for estate agents (the lying and tricks are unacceptable)
Remove interest-only mortgage repayments as an option.
Stop continuing to encourage/force people into debt just to exist.
Stop forcing people to be instant landlords in the hope that a house will be a stable pension.
Make it illegal for MPs to be landlords.
Stop chasing 'growth' as a target.
Stop believing and convincing others to believe that debt is wealth.
Stop placing the responsibilty of corporate mistakes on the shoulders of the people of this country.

Since 1998 my wages have gone up x 3. In that same period a standard 3 bedroom semi detached house in my town has gone up x 5. This moved it from x8 my 1998 salary to x 18 my current salary. Without the unacceptable risk of unservicable lifetime debt, the maths does not work. Nobody needs to be an 'economist' to see it.

I am a married man with two young children. We have no debt. We have £60,000 saved from over 10 years of frugality. We work. We choose not to saddle ourselves with a lifetime of debt. We choose not to buy into the rancid system. The system cannot reward us. We have no choice but to rent because the price (not value) of property across the entire country is completely warped due to all of the above, and more.

You are limiting millions of families. You're limiting the country. The picture you have of reality for 'the rest of us' is not accurate.

Stop.

If nothing else, I feel 0.02% better than I did 20 minutes ago.

If nothing else, I feel 0.02% better than I did 20 minutes ago.

Great stuff. I wish I'd posted what I wrote, but I'm sure you can guess. End HTB, end HB, introduce LVT, better security of tenure for renters etc etc.

So good that the people elected to run the country responsibly don't have a clue and need to consult on it.

Looks like they'll go for the populist route rather than what is needed.

Looks like they really did not expect to be re-elected!

If they really want transparency why can't I see other suggestions?

Just read what they will accept:

You may wish to consider:

• likely effectiveness and value for money
  • revenue implications for the Exchequer
  • wider macroeconomic implications (for economic stability and growth)

Such as:

• sectoral impacts
  • distributional impacts
  • administrative and compliance costs and issues
  • legislative and operational requirements
  • environmental impact

I told them to go for a LVT and use the proceeds to scrap Council Tax and reduce VAT and income tax to the greatest degree possible.

You end up taxing the people who are hoarding wealth and put money in the hands of the people who are most likely to go out and spend it.

What's not to like about that? (Probably all of it if you're the land owning class, so the Tories will never go for it)

Edited by SpectrumFX

I told them to go for a LVT and use the proceeds to scrap Council Tax and reduce VAT and income tax to the greatest degree possible.

You end up taxing the people who are hoarding wealth and put money in the hands of the people who are most likely to go out and spend it.

What's not to like about that? (Probably all of it if you're the land owning class, so the Tories will never go for it)

+1

We have a bakery just up the road from here, the owner retired. It was sold, boarded up and it's just sat there for the last 10 years... earning more than I do!

I said do whatever is necessary to preserve the hard earned house price gains of rich ungrateful baby boomers and income-tax the nuts off later generations.

Not really :-)

Reintroduce the death penalty for NIMBYs and use the bodies as a cheap source of biofuel?

Can I ask for £10m. Yes I probably don't deserve it but the banking system got billions that didn't exist and they didn't deserve it, and no one is seriously going to miss £10m being given to me.

No more mortgages on BTL/rented property. Residential mortgages for owner occupiers only. Like that will ever happen. :rolleyes:

Failing that, abolishing interest only mortgages across the board would be a good compromise.

In summary, my advice was to cut taxes across the board. Start with the sin taxes, tobacco, alcohol fuel. Cutting fuel tax to zero would be an incredibly popular policy which would revitalize the lives of the working man/woman overnight as work becomes so much more lucrative. Cut national insurance and VAT to zero.

I stuck in a bit of political advice too. When Labour moan about the cuts, just tell them about how sin taxes, fuel taxes and NI hit the poorest disproportionately. Ask them why they didn't cut these taxes when they had the chance.

What about public services I hear you ask? Simple, just cut every department by 30% (except defense) and tell them to stop moaning and get on with it. When Owen Jones wines about the cuts, tell him that a tax cut boosts peoples incomes, therefore it isn't a cut at all, the opposite in fact.

In a worst case scenario that the UK is struggling to pay it's debt, just default internally. Say "sorry guys, we are out of money, so we can only afford to pay you half the normal JSA/pensions/housing benefit this week. With a bit of luck we might be able to pay you the normal amount next week. Fingers crossed!"

Maybe I could get a new career as a political consultant. Shall I run as leader of UKIP or the Tories? Can I count on your support?

Some (maybe not all) of the things they said they would be doing/not doing before the 2010 general election.

For example:

Osborne:

Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed.

Cameron:

Abolishing the tax on savings for basic-rate taxpayers.

We need to encourage saving, rather than just borrowing. We need a greener economy, a more balanced economy, more manufacturing and not just services.

etc etc etc

Edited by billybong

The previous time I did this, they did nothing. I recommended getting rid of the BBC license fee and fund it from central coffers.

My next suggestion is to put MP's on zero hours contracts and they fund their own pensions. Only get paid when they are called upon to vote in the House.

Yeah probably, but it took all of five minutes and was pretty much what I rant about on here, so same sh!t, different audience!

Yeah probably, but it took all of five minutes and was pretty much what I rant about on here, so same sh!t, different audience!

Sorry to be horribly cynical but do you think anyone is going to read it?

Double/triple council tax for properties with shanty accommodation at the bottom of the garden. If it hasn't already been introduced.

Proceeds to be used to build new housing.

Edited by billybong

I'd like to see a massive run on sterling later this year followed by a worldwide government bond crisis next and a 3,000 point fall on the FTSE 100.

The cumulative shock from that should be sufficient to consign Osborne's echo housing bubble to the dustbin of history - and Osborne alongside it, hopefully.