House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATH

Plastic Shopping Bags Like Tissue Paper Now

Noticed this in Tesco and Asda, seems to have suddenly been implemented. Bags from both stores

seem to disintegrate when I got home and don't feel strong enough to hold even two bottles of beer.

Conditioning the masses to bring their own bags before they start charging for them?

I usually take my own bags but sometimes you are just walking past and fancy something. Do people carry

their re-usable bags 24/7?

Noticed this in Tesco and Asda, seems to have suddenly been implemented. Bags from both stores

seem to disintegrate when I got home and don't feel strong enough to hold even two bottles of beer.

Conditioning the masses to bring their own bags before they start charging for them?

I usually take my own bags but sometimes you are just walking past and fancy something. Do people carry

their re-usable bags 24/7?

Simply a cost exercise, I'd say that they contain about 25% of the plastic they used to in the very early days. They used to be proper thick plastic, not too far off the ones they now charge 50p for at the front of the checkout.

That means they cost 25% of the original price, take up 25% of the space in storage and cost just 25% of the transport costs.

They are man enough for the job when it comes to most stuff, but if you now want to transport tins/bottles you need to provide your own. The supermarket companies can get away with it because its "saving the environment".

Get over it. The rest of the UK never had this level of angst about paying for plastic bags as the English now appear to be going through. Just take your own bags.

Thing is the price of those bags have always been costed in to your shopping, they simply had to be. I very much doubt the supermarkets have now factored out that cost.

I think it's reasonable to complain when a "free" service is removed or reduced. It's never been "free" in the true sense but it's just a assumed that it's all included in the price, when it's removed it's only fair to have a grumble when costs are not reduced, obviously in this case the relative cost is so minor you wouldn't notice, but I'm sure the bean counters and shareholders do.

Of course free bags are factored into operating costs. It's ridiculous that people go shopping, buy something and are not given a bag - which they have paid for as part of the transaction. Petty tokenism.

And yes I do try to have bags with me.

Cool, maybe now there's scope for introduction of US style brown paper shopping bags people are always dropping in action films.

The rest of the UK never had this level of angst about paying for plastic bags as the English now appear to be going through

And then there are the English Lidl shoppers...

And then there are the English Lidl shoppers...

I never has an issue with the LIDL / Aldi system of "help yourself to a free box". I'm not sure there's enough if everyone does it though?

Can't see the big supermarkets ever offering this though

It's ridiculous that people go shopping, buy something and are not given a bag - which they have paid for as part of the transaction. Petty tokenism.

I still hold out a little hope that the English will apply their creativity in producing a non-plastic alternative as is provided for in the legislation (unlike other parts of the UK).

If you work on the basis that being given bags is a better system than having to take your own, then it seems fairly logical that the end goal should just be offering them in a non environmentally damaging form. Everybody's happy.

I never has an issue with the LIDL / Aldi system of "help yourself to a free box". I'm not sure there's enough if everyone does it though?

Can't see the big supermarkets ever offering this though

They used to, but keeping boxes hanging around is a fire/safety issue.

Although as you say, there wouldn't be enough to go round, not much gets delivered in an actual box these days, certainly not one big enough to fit your shopping in, it's either totally plastic or a small flat cardboard base with plastic covering.

Yes.

I have at least four bags for life folded up into the pockets on my everyday bag.

I have a large number of turtle (cloth mesh) bags kicking around:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-friendly-turtle-cotton-string/dp/B004QCAJUE

I live about 0.5 miles from the shops. About 5 years ago the carriers started breaking about half way into my journey home.

I did feel a bit of girl with bags. Weirdly the only people who have mentioned the bags are a couple of the attractive checkout girls at Tesco and two Muslims who work at my local Asian shop.

Get over it. The rest of the UK never had this level of angst about paying for plastic bags as the English now appear to be going through. Just take your own bags.

That's because the Welsh and Scottish have a victim mentality and are so used to being England's bitch, they just do what they're told.

Yes, the free ones are pretty useless for more than a couple of items. I nearly always have my own - it's only the odd impulse shop when I don't. But I usually have a nice big shoulder bag which can take a few things.

It amazes me how many people in Adsa's do a big shop and bring no bags of their own. Quite apart from any eco considerations the bags are so flimsy - you need so many and the chances of at least one splitting before you get the stuff home is pretty high.

I guess the bags are factored into supermarkets costs, yes....that`s why so many are wasted and end up in land fill or blowing down the street....the quicker they start charging clearly the better.

Actually I do carry strong reusable canvas shopping bags in my rucksack. Then I drive home in a V8 to offset any good I might have done. :blink:

Strangely, now we pay for them, they are thicker

Remarkably similar to dentists! :blink:

Actually I do carry strong reusable canvas shopping bags in my rucksack. Then I drive home in a V8 to offset any good I might have done. :blink:

I'm going sling a box of 1000 11x17x21's, as we say in the trade, in the back of my V8. Then forget about them and end up buying some anyway.

Yes.

I have at least four bags for life folded up into the pockets on my everyday bag.

This so reminds me of the Armstrong and Miller sketch. It kicks off at 1:20. "I don't carry around a couple of hundred quid in coins, because I'm not a shop"

I guess the bags are factored into supermarkets costs, yes....that`s why so many are wasted and end up in land fill or blowing down the street....the quicker they start charging clearly the better.

Solving the Plastic Bag Menace is obviously far, far more important than minor issues like house prices, the zombie economy, and the Islamification of Europe.

When the history of Europe's collapse is finally written, it's going to be ******ing hilarious.