House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

3D Printers Print Ten Houses In 24 Hours - For $5000 Each!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-17/chinese-firm-reveals-worlds-first-3d-printed-five-story-apartment-building

While China's stock market continues levitating at an ever more amusing pace, this is happening at the expense of China's far more important housing market, which sadly for three-quarters of China's population (in the US 75% of household assets are in financial products, in China: in real estate) continues to deflate at a rate faster than US housing in the aftermath of Lehman. And for better or worse, Chinese home prices are likely set to drop even more, and not due to something as arcane as glitches in fiscal or monetary policy, but something far more tangible: technological advances, and specifically - 3D printed houses.

Meet WinSun: the Chinese company has been documented to print 10 complete houses in 24 hours, using a proprietary 3D printer that uses a mixture of ground construction and industrial waste, such as glass and tailings, around a base of quick-drying cement mixed with a special hardening agent. But while this in itself is impressive, the punchline is the cost: the houses can be produced for under $5,000, which means that if adopted widely, 3D printing can lead to a collapse in prices of new home construction across China, which while good for new buyers could be catastrophic for the economy and the banking sector where nearly $30 trillion in commercial loans are collateralized almost entirely by China's overinflated housing sector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxRNBCNxJpY

I think we can solve our housing shortage rather quickly and very cheaply. This could certainly lower the cost of housing. Get bored with your house just print a new one!!

Edited by interestrateripoff

I somehow think that developers, will just use this to build more "investments" in the ghost cities, quicker, cheaper and the margins will be greater. <_< There's no shortage of housing in China - only new build investment properties.

In the UK - same old, it's all about the land, the land, land!

I somehow think that developers, will just use this to build more "investments" in the ghost cities, quicker, cheaper and the margins will be greater. <_< There's no shortage of housing in China - only new build investment properties.

They'd not making any new Land don't you know.

Except I read, 60,000 tonnes of dust falls to earth from space each year, so technically were getting loads of new Land all the time.

Hold on, don't they have

already ?

Nice video

"the only concern for the government is....." maintaining asset prices - I thought he was going to say, but it was actually economic growth.

Nice video

"the only concern for the government is....." maintaining asset prices - I thought he was going to say, but it was actually economic growth.

It's the same thing. Increased house prices=increased imputed rents=GDP growth.

Yes, I think it's nuts as well.

Sounds more like that 'Second Life' fad. Can't afford a house? Buy a virtual house for your digital self at our our online store. Look - you can see yourself in the garden!

They'd not making any new Land don't you know.

Except I read, 60,000 tonnes of dust falls to earth from space each year, so technically were getting loads of new Land all the time.

is danniella westbrook back on spacedust ???

Edited by longgone

I think most investors don't see their properties - they get a piece of paper saying that they are the owner, and they use them as receipts for their investments.

3D printing must be a real boon for the developers if they can produce 10 homes for $5000, they can show people around them once, and say these are great investments. They pocket $50,000 or whatever they charge for them and off into the sunset the developers go.

When I try to look for historical charts for China home prices, I aways end up with a chart like this:

china-house-prices-1.gif

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Asia/china

They always publicises the change - it's basically been a bull market all the way with very minor soft landings. We must "Save face".

If we look a bit harder, this is a better chart:

42_graph2.jpg

Second-hand House Price Index, Shanghai (2003=1000)

http://seek.estate/articles/china-house-price-changes-year-end-q1-2014/

Edited by 200p

In that

(well worth watching in full, thank you)- he says that as China is a command economy - and if the country directs an order to build homes, they build homes.

But we've seen this before - when the order was given to produce steel, in the Great Leap Forward in 1958. But farming was neglected, and millions (15m-45m estimated) starved to death in the famine that followed.

Edited by 200p

Before you rush out to buy a Chinese printed house see how you get along with a Chinese made kettle.

News I just made up, from 2001

in other news, Uk customs recently destroyed a large shipment of dvd players.

Owners had investly heavily in betamax players, and the secondhand market prices needed protecting, as many took on loans to buy these beauties at over £2000.

Joe, from Newport, mentioned the quaint click-clack noise as he pushed the PLAY button just wasnt the same on the new machines, and any discerning buyer would appreciate the solid construction used in the Betamax players.

Stuff I havent just made up: My brother in-law bought a new-ish build recently. Still has two sets of taps in the sink and bath (even Soviet Russia didnt have two taps...mixer taps were invented millions of years before dinosaurs roamed the earth), and he doesnt have ceiling lights...bob the builder saved a few metres of wire by sticking all the lights on the walls. Sorry, on the one wall.

Thats £300k to play "would you like to burn your hand or freeze your hand?" as well as the ever popular "no, the photo doesnt have bad lighting, you're sitting On The Dark Side Of The Lounge"

old does not mean good. and new does not mean bad. There's loads of grey areas.

Edited by madmax2

***CONSPIRACY SPOILER ALERT***

So how do you keep house prices high in a country where land and buildings are not in short supply.

I think I know why people invest in new build and AND DON'T LET PEOPLE LIVE IN THEM.....

If you build a block with 100 apartments. You buy them up and restrict supply...creating a shortage. You then tell everyone else that for the apartment to maintain and increase value, you must not let people live in them, otherwise they are not "NEW". This becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, over time, we get the situation that we have today. So with thousands if not millions of blocks "NEW", supply can be minimised at the rolling frontier of where demand meets supply. The developers are laughing all the way to the bank!!!! With so much open space in China, this could go on for decades... Muahahahaha!!!!

Erm I don't want to be around when it bursts. Perhaps if these investors don't ever visit their investments, and the state maintains a tight grip on the media there, the people can carry on........

Edited by 200p

So if Cameron runs out of ideas such as HTB Version 54, or HTR Version 35 (Help to rent - the government loans 250% of the deposit required to rent), he could start a new investment program when HTBTL Version 2354 fails (Help to Buy to let).

HTBFS(Help to buy for show). These are new build properties that keep increasing in value as long as you don't let people live in them. They will be built in far away lands (up North), in new Golden Garden Cities, to help boost property prices outside of the M25 and the South East.

How long til they can print the Land ?

They'd probably go hill walking on the eve of announcing the invention :rolleyes:

hang on....

This Floating Neighborhoods Will Be Made From 3-D Printed, Recycled Concrete

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043192/this-floating-neighborhoods-will-be-made-from-3d-printed-recycled-concrete