House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

Disgusting Thomas Cook

So they've decided to flush their ill gotten gains down the toilet (give it to UNICEF) rather than properly compensate the parents of the children unlawfully killed under their care. After stone walling them for 9 years. What a craven decision! Somebody needs to crowd source a compensation fund and organise a proper boycott of this lousy company.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-32785374

....maybe now people will think twice before booking......thousand of other options....nothing is guaranteed......if they do not learn from their mistakes and admit their mistakes things can not therefore improve, only decline....choices. ;)

Breathtaking answer. You're not a parent, I take it.

I presume the suggestion is that if it were given to the parents then they could decide which charity it goes to, set up a fund for local children, whatever. This would be a comfort to them.

Giving it to a multinational waster like UNICEF is disgusting.

Maybe your anger is directed to the wrong organisation

Thomas Cook has donated half of a £3m compensation payout it received after the deaths of two British children in Corfu to charity, the firm has said.

Thomas Cook said its insurers had taken half of the payout for legal costs. It said donating the remainder to Unicef was "the right thing to do".

Anyway, for Thomas Cook

31 March 2015 pre close statement - all good

https://www.thomascookgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Pre_Close_Statement_31_Mar_2015_FINAL.pdf

Wed 20 May is the next date for any sort of announcement: interim results to 31 March 2015

It was "The right thing to do"

Just like that Cameron bloke says

Don't know what everyone's problem is

From the brief new reports it's not clear to me where TC's failing is.

A Greek Court found the hotel and staff guilty. Not sure where the failing in the duty of care on TC's part is, but a British Court says TC is responsible.

That said, TC's handling of the affair is a massive, massive PR disaster. The charity donation was shooting themselves in the foot.

A Greek Court found the hotel and staff guilty. Not sure where the failing in the duty of care on TC's part is, but a British Court says TC is responsible.

That said, TC's handling of the affair is a massive, massive PR disaster. The charity donation was shooting themselves in the foot.

As I understand it, The hotel had, according to the Greek court, repeatedly lied to TC about the presence of gas heaters, denying that they had any, and that they had done so deliberately or grossly negligently.

The British coroner's inquest held that TC were negligent for believing the hotel when they said they didn't have any gas heaters, and for not following their own company policy which was that resort representatives should have been trained to spot health and safety hazards, and to audit the health and safety returns made by the hotels.

Ultimately, it's a tragic story, and one with no winners.

"Thomas Cook was cleared of responsibility"

The above is rather important is it not ?

I don't even see why they should apologise if they didn't do anything wrong ?

"An inquest jury ruled they had been unlawfully killed and said Thomas Cook "breached its duty of care"."

Did you miss the part where in the coroner's court it was established that Thomas Cook had "breached their duty of care" and how "the health & safety audit of the complex was inadequate"?

Still they scored a £1.5mil win from their insurers and rather than set a precedent whereby proles get decently compensated, decided instead to flush it. That's what they think of their customers. Let's hope this is a 'Ratner' moment for the company and Fankhauser, their odious CEO.

Another dumb question.

I have a boy and a girl similar ages to the children that died. How about you?

Still gasps for breath. I have a son.

I see your point about the compo. However, paying the parents enough to give up normal work and contemplate their loss with no distractions is tantamount to sending then straight to the mental health inpatient unit. Do not pass go.

With Chumpysrex on this. Tough one this, there are no winners - when you work with business partners, you place your trust in them that they are telling the truth. If you get a consignment of 10,000 toys, you can spot check a few. But if you were to open each box, because you don't trust your business partner, then that puts up the cost massively. Should now Thomas Cook disregard any information from their business partners, and send their own team in every year to check everything? That cost would be passed onto the customer who would have to pay much higher prices.

I see your point about the compo. However, paying the parents enough to give up normal work and contemplate their loss with no distractions is tantamount to sending then straight to the mental health inpatient unit. Do not pass go.

Right so keep them working to keep the mind occupied ??

looks like pensioners need to keep working forever in that case in case they top themselves from the boredom

nice logic :blink:

With Chumpysrex on this. Tough one this, there are no winners - when you work with business partners, you place your trust in them that they are telling the truth. If you get a consignment of 10,000 toys, you can spot check a few. But if you were to open each box, because you don't trust your business partner, then that puts up the cost massively. Should now Thomas Cook disregard any information from their business partners, and send their own team in every year to check everything? That cost would be passed onto the customer who would have to pay much higher prices.

What an absolute crock! Everybody knows that h & s standards in places like Corfu are well below Britain's. If you book your own accommodation, you are on your own. But people booking with a premium provider like TC rightly expect them to exercise due diligence, which they failed to do even by their own company guidelines.

Yes, tragedies occur even in the best of circumstances, but the handling of this by Thomas Cook from start to finish has been all about their business interests. So screw them. Bring on the boycott.

You're so right. Can't have proles giving up their jobs.

If only they'd been middle class!

PS. I recommend Vicks nasal inhalor for that breathing problem of yours.

it's actually quite a difficult one to answer.

TC were merely the facilitators of the holiday in question,not directly the owners of the establishment.

so ultimately it was:

a)the owners responsibility to keep the facility within specified H&S guidelines

b)TC's responsibility to make sure that a)was adhered to prior to giving and endorsement.

a little guilt on both parts here I think, not one side in it's entirity.

OK so they were not responsible - but didn't do the level of checks they should have.

I still don't get the absolute outrage though.

TC were merely the facilitators of the holiday in question

The only way companies like Thomas Cook can continue to justify their existence is to offer a level of service and assurance beyond just acting as a middleman.