House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Graphics Card Ghosting Issue

Recently upgraded my desktop. All is well. It's flying along. Except for one little thing..

When the PC comes out of sleep mode e.g. I come back to it, the monitor on the right (only) has a weird ghosting effect that lasts for about ten seconds.

You can see one of the windows "shadowing" and "flashing" where the window actually isn't e.g. it's like it's mirrored onto an otherwise blank part of the desktop. For those of us who are my age, it looks a bit like one of the funky loading routines games makers used to write onto the loaders for Commodore 64 games.

This is the same graphics card I had in my old machine and it didn't do that then. For want of a better description it does look like some sort of "interference".

Doesn't last long. Is this a sign of some kind of impending doom? Have I run the wires too close together? Investigate or ignore..

Hmm, no expert (once again!) What graphics (GPU) card have you got - and how old is it?

What kind of temperature is it running at just after sleep mode and when it has been on for an hour? You can find out with this open source program http://openhardwaremonitor.org- which will tell you the GPU and CPU current temperature(left figure) and maximum temperature (right temperature).

It they are running more than 50 degrees Celcius without loads, then maybe it's time to get rid of the dust in the heat sinks, fans and vents. Also check that the fans are spinning when the system is on. Each year, I have to take apart the PC, and get rid of the dust in there (you'd be surprised) - in the CPU fan/heat sink, and the GPU fan/heat sink. If you remove the heat sink from the CPU or GPU you must clean and reapply new thermal paste between the chip and the heat sink.

Dusting tips http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-the-Inside-of-a-Computer

dusty.jpg

An example of a unhappy computer

Does it do it from cold boot? If it is a case of the card warming up it is ageing components bleeding signals. It sounds like it is just when you've hibernated.

Thanks..

Card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT610. It's not high end - I got it a long time ago so I could have dual displays. The MB has outputs for dual displays too, but the socket for the second one isn't the same as the cable that I have, so I put the old card back in.

It's all clean inside. Though, recently cleaned as it's all been recently reassembled after the MB change. Something could have been disturbed.

All Windows updates are on and I installed the chipset driver that came with the board. Actually come to think of it, I didn't see it do this before installing that. "AMD Overdrive" (overclocking option) is not enabled.

I'm pretty sure I saw it download an updated driver for the card - says it's running version 347.52. NVIDIA panel doesn't show temp.

Doesn't do it from cold boot, only when waking up from hibernating. The entire thing appears to shut down doing that e.g. it goes almost silent. Which might in itself be a clue. Maybe the fan stops, too, and it overheats.

With the app suggested above, here's how it is now..

+- NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (/nvidiagpu/0)

| +- GPU Core : 270 0 270 (/nvidiagpu/0/clock/0)

| +- GPU Memory : 405 405 405 (/nvidiagpu/0/clock/1)

| +- GPU Shader : 540 0 540 (/nvidiagpu/0/clock/2)

| +- GPU Core : 30 29 30 (/nvidiagpu/0/temperature/0)

| +- GPU Core : 0 0 9 (/nvidiagpu/0/load/0)

| +- GPU Memory Controller : 17 17 23 (/nvidiagpu/0/load/1)

| +- GPU Video Engine : 0 0 0 (/nvidiagpu/0/load/2)

| +- GPU Memory : 31.6319 31.5323 33.1924 (/nvidiagpu/0/load/3)

| +- GPU Fan : 60 60 60 (/nvidiagpu/0/control/0)

Will retry that when I come back after lunch.

Hibernating means it saves all RAM contents to disk and switches off.

Might be worth changing the resolution manually to something like 800x600 then back to whatever you normally use. I used to do this years ago to fix corrupted displays, whether it would still work I don't know!

I did some research; try this

I unplugged the USB cable to my Lexmark printer, uncrossed the wires in the back and plugged it back in! If your monitor starts ghosting again – check for crossed wires from other peripherals.

Try wiggling the monitor cable just below where it connects to the monitor and you can see the changes right on your monitor!

http://www.whispersinmotion.com/quick-fix-for-ghosting-monitor/

I am pretty sure it might be crossed wires, or something to do with readjusting the monitor cables, or power cables, as you have recently built your PC. Check the comments, at the link for other possible solutions. I think your GPU temperatures are normal at start up.

An example of a unhappy computer

Worse than my toilet!

Recently upgraded my desktop. All is well. It's flying along. Except for one little thing..

When the PC comes out of sleep mode e.g. I come back to it, the monitor on the right (only) has a weird ghosting effect that lasts for about ten seconds.

You can see one of the windows "shadowing" and "flashing" where the window actually isn't e.g. it's like it's mirrored onto an otherwise blank part of the desktop. For those of us who are my age, it looks a bit like one of the funky loading routines games makers used to write onto the loaders for Commodore 64 games.

This is the same graphics card I had in my old machine and it didn't do that then. For want of a better description it does look like some sort of "interference".

Doesn't last long. Is this a sign of some kind of impending doom? Have I run the wires too close together? Investigate or ignore..

how are they connected ? vga, dvi, hdmi, displayport

does the monitor flicker first when it goes back to normal or display the resolution or refresh rates ?

Monitor 1 = DVI

Monitor 2 = VGA < the one with the flickering issue

The cable doesn't cross anything else but it was very close to the power cable. Have moved it now.

The visual effect is hard to describe. Imagine the monitor is displaying only the desktop background and taskbar and one window - I tend to have Outlook on the right hand side/that monitor. And imagine that's sat in the middle, but not maximised. You can see the desktop around it.

When it comes out of hibernation - in the space to the left of the Outlook window, which would ordinarily just be the desktop background, you see an "echo" of Outlook, but as if it's a fuzzy 16 colour rendition almost like it was reflected in water. Moving another window over the top of the offending area during that time will see the flashing continue over the top of said window. It flickers and has a weird ghosting effect. After about ten seconds it goes away.

I haven't seen this today, but that's because I've had cloud backups on the go for the last 24 hours and so the machine hasn't hibernated.

Oddly enough, I've just had a prompt flash up to download "GeForce Game Ready Driver" (released just now - spooky coincidence) so I'll do that and see if that helps and check out that link above.

Monitor 1 = DVI

Monitor 2 = VGA < the one with the flickering issue

The cable doesn't cross anything else but it was very close to the power cable. Have moved it now.

The visual effect is hard to describe. Imagine the monitor is displaying only the desktop background and taskbar and one window - I tend to have Outlook on the right hand side/that monitor. And imagine that's sat in the middle, but not maximised. You can see the desktop around it.

When it comes out of hibernation - in the space to the left of the Outlook window, which would ordinarily just be the desktop background, you see an "echo" of Outlook, but as if it's a fuzzy 16 colour rendition almost like it was reflected in water. Moving another window over the top of the offending area during that time will see the flashing continue over the top of said window. It flickers and has a weird ghosting effect. After about ten seconds it goes away.

I haven't seen this today, but that's because I've had cloud backups on the go for the last 24 hours and so the machine hasn't hibernated.

Oddly enough, I've just had a prompt flash up to download "GeForce Game Ready Driver" (released just now - spooky coincidence) so I'll do that and see if that helps and check out that link above.

try swapping the monitors over , another vga cable , use the latest driver and the suite not just the driver

if that don`t work fiddle about with refresh rates Hz resolution etc

a dual digital card would be best anyway , either dvi or hdmi , some systems can use the onboard and a card or two cards .

unless the vga is cheap unshielded cable being next to the power cable wont make any difference