House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Gunther Pluschow The Only German Pow To Escape Britain

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3084475/The-Great-Escaper-Incredible-tale-dapper-WWI-air-ace-Hun-escape-British-PoW-camp-earn-begrudging-respect.html

'A heavy storm was in progress,’ recalled Gunther Pluschow, years later, of the night almost a century ago that he escaped from his British prisoner of war camp at Donington Hall.

‘The rain poured in torrents from grey skies. The sentries stood wet and shivering in their sentry boxes, and therefore nobody paid any attention when two officers decided to walk about in the park in spite of the rain.’

Yet they should have, because one of them was the resourceful and dashing Pluschow, who was to become the only German ever to escape from a British PoW camp in either world war and make it back to the Fatherland.

He and his friend, Lieutenant Oskar Trefftz, were about to embark on one of the most daring escapes in history, the last leg of an extraordinary journey that had already taken Pluschow halfway around the world, in one of the great adventure stories of the First World War. It is an escapade that almost defies belief, a tale of courage, endurance, good luck – and occasional high farce.

A fascinating story.

I once worked with someone who stated that any POWs who attempted to escape, should be shot. I've come around to agreeing with that - if you've been caught and the enemy are decent enough to house and feed you, then that should be enough.

Of course Baron Franz Xaver von Werra escaped during the 2nd world war; in one attempt he blagged his way into an RAF base and was about to fly to freedom in a Hurricane when he was stopped. The Von Werras were a line of high Swiss nobility first recorded in the 13th Century but Franz's father was ruined in 1912 and Franz had to live with a German family, hence his entry into the Luftwaffe in 1936.

Of course Baron Franz Xaver von Werra escaped during the 2nd world war; in one attempt he blagged his way into an RAF base and was about to fly to freedom in a Hurricane when he was stopped. The Von Werras were a line of high Swiss nobility first recorded in the 13th Century but Franz's father was ruined in 1912 and Franz had to live with a German family, hence his entry into the Luftwaffe in 1936.

saw the movie:

The_One.jpg

Should have done what my ex-next-door-neighbour did.

Arrived in the UK as an Italian POW, worked on a farm, married an Englishwoman, ended up having a long happy life running an English farm.

I once worked with someone who stated that any POWs who attempted to escape, should be shot. I've come around to agreeing with that - if you've been caught and the enemy are decent enough to house and feed you, then that should be enough.

You must be the only person who was happy to see them all get shot at the end of the great escape.

Arrived in the UK as an Italian POW, worked on a farm, married an Englishwoman, ended up having a long happy life running an English farm.

You know my Uncle Luigi? :blink:

Many if not all had no inclination to escape and return to war. Nothing like prisons probably,more like open work camps., Used to live in a town that had an italian POW camp, where they worked on local farms and many also settled in the area.