House Price Crash Forum

Sainsbury's Vouchers

Si1

HOLA441

I picked up some abandoned Sainsbury's vouchers for a few quid off here and there £3 off a £20 shop etc, left by the self service tills in my Sainsbury's.

Can you use these if they're not attached to your nectar card, anyone know about this?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

When it spews all the vouchers out I always feel like I've done particularly well on the whack-a-mole at some amusement park where it pays out tickets you collect and swap for a soft toy.

HOLA447
Guest eight

When it spews all the vouchers out I always feel like I've done particularly well on the whack-a-mole at some amusement park where it pays out tickets you collect and swap for a soft toy.

I was in an amusement arcade in Redcar a couple of weeks back and the change machine was paying out 2p pieces on a continuous basis - people were scooping up bags of them. It was the most magical experience of my life, tempered only slightly by the sleet shower on the mile long walk back to the car.

HOLA448

Ok, before I basically faced up to the reality it's the sort of thing a lottery winner has, I had gone quite big into various amusement, and other coin operated, machines in my house. I had about half a dozen regular slots and, I think 2 club machines with £200 jackpots. They were all loaded with money and any visitors were welcome/strongly encouraged to play them.

Anyway, the way they worked inside was they had a load of massive tubes the full length of the top half of the machine, that held hundreds and hundreds of coins and then when they were full any fresh coins diverted into enormous plastic bins behind the door in the base - if you can hear it go straight to the bins it's a good sign it's a machine full of cash.

At the bottom of the tubes you've got powerful solenoids that do the familiar chukka, chukka, chukka paying out. Basically, there's an engineer's option called tube dump which means the machine totally empties/pays out the entire contents of the tubes one tube/denomination at the time. Well, when I was getting rid of the machines, I didn't really realise that the tubes were all rammed full so I just blithely set every machine to tube dump simultaneously The things just went chukka, chukka, for what seemed like an eternity and I was like Scrooge McDuck in this deluge of coins spewing out of the machines on to the floor.

If I'd known, before I started the tube dump, I'd have put the music from Die Hard, when they open the safe, on in the background.

HOLA449
Guest eight

Ok, before I basically faced up to the reality it's the sort of thing a lottery winner has,

I don't begrudge you the life of a lottery winner, what with you having invented Aldi 'n' all that.

HOLA4410

Ok, before I basically faced up to the reality it's the sort of thing a lottery winner has, I had gone quite big into various amusement, and other coin operated, machines in my house. I had about half a dozen regular slots and, I think 2 club machines with £200 jackpots. They were all loaded with money and any visitors were welcome/strongly encouraged to play them.

Cor.

OH fancies getting one of the fruit machines he wrote. :)

HOLA4411

Mine were all JPM machines. I can't recall the various themes without trawling through some fruit machines enthusiasts' forum but the place I bought them deliberately stockpiled machines with a lot of features suited for the games room type user.

Two things I do remember are they were very suited to anyone with a hobby interest in practical electronics, as they went wrong, almost constantly, and, as it was pre-everything being LED, it was a massive ball ache keeping on top of blown bulbs. The bulbs were basically the wedge type car sidelight bulbs and they ate through loads of them.

I don't think self-indulgent whimsy is a bad thing but, in retrospect, I've probably always have, and continue, to take it that bit too far. Actually, until this thread, I'd almost entirely forgotten about my let's play 'running an amusement arcade' phase.

HOLA4412

Went to pull out a trolley in a newly rebubished lydl.....left lying at the bottom was four old offers leaflets, about to throw away but noticed there was a voucher, spend £25 get £5 off, valid on that day.......at the check out I handed one to the guy in front of me and two others to people behind me that looked like they had over £25 worth of stuff in their trolley....total savings of £20:-)

HOLA4413

Went to pull out a trolley in a newly rebubished lydl.....left lying at the bottom was four old offers leaflets, about to throw away but noticed there was a voucher, spend £25 get £5 off, valid on that day.......at the check out I handed one to the guy in front of me and two others to people behind me that looked like they had over £25 worth of stuff in their trolley....total savings of £20:-)

Will you come shopping with me?

HOLA4414

What a star.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

In my main Sainsbury I often see people leaving the self-service without picking up the voucher if the machine sprouts one out. But the staff are there super fast and rip them up before anyone else can pick them up.

I think they're on to the scam.

Those vouchers are officially linked to the single nectar card they were issued against, apparently they won't let you use them otherwise, googled it elsewhere. Shame.

HOLA4417

The things just went chukka, chukka, for what seemed like an eternity and I was like Scrooge McDuck in this deluge of coins spewing out of the machines on to the floor.

Now you know what BTL feels like...

HOLA4418

Ok, before I basically faced up to the reality it's the sort of thing a lottery winner has, I had gone quite big into various amusement, and other coin operated, machines in my house. I had about half a dozen regular slots and, I think 2 club machines with £200 jackpots.

I always fancied having a couple of fruit machines. In particular, a Barcrest one called "Line Up". Amazing. There are photos of it on the net.

Back on topic, though, for the last however many years my interaction with the cashiers in Sainsbury's has been roughly "Hello. No. No. Thanks." in answer to: "Hello. Do you have a Nectar card? Are you collecting the school vouchers? Thanks."

When I hear those self-service machines saying "Have you swiped your Nectar card?" with the same tone of voice that a mother might use to ask her young child "Have you wiped your bottom?" I could scream.

HOLA4419

When I hear those self-service machines saying "Have you swiped your Nectar card?" with the same tone of voice that a mother might use to ask her young child "Have you wiped your bottom?" I could scream.

I do feel like a bit of a failure when I ignore the requests of the dismissive mother figure at the self serve.

Still, where would we be without ruthless analysis of our shopping behavior

probably getting away with murder

HOLA4420

What a star.

Why thanks, just don't like to see a good deal wasted knowing others can also benefit.....must say got some strange looks initially when handing voucher over, not used to others giving something away, some kind of nutter or thinking might be a catch.....all were pleasantly surprised and most grateful when got over the shock.

HOLA4421

I always fancied having a couple of fruit machines. In particular, a Barcrest one called "Line Up". Amazing. There are photos of it on the net.

Back on topic, though, for the last however many years my interaction with the cashiers in Sainsbury's has been roughly "Hello. No. No. Thanks." in answer to: "Hello. Do you have a Nectar card? Are you collecting the school vouchers? Thanks."

Me too - Up & Over was my favourite. FWIW if you are getting itchy fingers there are plenty of emulators out there that give you at least the program!

Since I used to live in a pub in days yore I see fruit machine gambling as some what of a sport. There was many hilarious times had such as one machine called red alert that had feature called Firemans Lift where it would increment through the money prizes depandant on what number you stopped the reel on - obviously 12 was the largest number so the first guy to get the feature stopped it bang on that, watched the lights going up toward the jackpot, only for the '12th stage' to zip right back down to a quid :lol: Needless to say 11 was the aim from then on.

Can be very destructive gambling to some people though as I also saw.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Anyway, the way they worked inside was they had a load of massive tubes the full length of the top half of the machine, that held hundreds and hundreds of coins and then when they were full any fresh coins diverted into enormous plastic bins behind the door in the base - if you can hear it go straight to the bins it's a good sign it's a machine full of cash.

In the late 90s I worked in a pub. Every night after we shut a guy on the bar staff turned the music off, put a pound in the fruit machine and listened intently to the coin drop. He explained what he was doing exactly as you describe above. I always thought he was talking shit until now.

HOLA4425

in answer to: "Hello. Do you have a Nectar card? Are you collecting the school vouchers? Thanks."

Drives you mad....." No, I am sweet enough" is my usual answer.......like they say in many chain coffee shops and burger outlets "would you like *something* with that....I say "do you think I look like I need it"....... ;)

Nb: at the moment BT is really pissing me off......but that is another story.....brand new customers only, tie the *valuable* ones in for as long as possible so that they can't escape to a better deal with a competitor unless they pay a BIG penalty.....and I mean BIG......what happened to freedom and choices?.....

Archived