House Price Crash Forum
hp9man

Why I Hate Estate Agents

If I go to Selfridges and pay £1000 for a handbag I get treated like royalty. It's a pleasure to business with them.

If I go to BMW and pay £25000 for a car I get super-helpful, prompt, efficient service. It's a pleasure to business with them.

If I go to an estate agent with £1000000 in cash to buy a house I get treated as they're doing me a favour. I get shown around properties by young half-wits. They lose our details repeatedly. They never call back. They lie. They are appalling businesses and have no concept of customer service.

That's why I hate them.

Rant over.

If I go to Selfridges and pay £1000 for a handbag I get treated like royalty. It's a pleasure to business with them.

If I go to BMW and pay £25000 for a car I get super-helpful, prompt, efficient service. It's a pleasure to business with them.

If I go to an estate agent with £1000000 in cash to buy a house I get treated as they're doing me a favour. I get shown around properties by young half-wits. They lose our details repeatedly. They never call back. They lie. They are appalling businesses and have no concept of customer service.

That's why I hate them.

Rant over.

I just hate them because they are mostly all ****s, ****s being supported by my taxes and my childrens future.

When leeching is rewarded more than productive work then society yhas a problem.

2nd hand house salesmen need to learn their place in society.

One time i traveled over a hundred miles to view a house I had arranged, when I got there on time I was told I would have to wait and hour so she could go to the gym. She was a fat ugly bitch so it was a losing battle

another time I traveled a similar distance only to be told the house only had a 6 month lease and after that i would have to vacate this was after I repeatedly asked about the lease etc before i traveled

One time they tried to charge me 90 quid to credit check my cat.

I could go on, even if house prices never come down and many estate agents go bust I will be happy with that.

I cannot wait till it all goes online or someone does it cheap efficient and corporate.

That's why I hate them.

Rant over.

Do you really have £1000000 in cash to buy a house?

Not saying that any EA's are very professional (they mainly nick your chocolate bars when you aren't looking) but at the high end I imagine that you get treated a little bit better (maybe still not as nice as the BMW dealer). Lets face it, buying a house for £250k in London (if you can find one!) is a little bit like shopping at Tescos! :P

One time i traveled over a hundred miles to view a house I had arranged, when I got there on time I was told I would have to wait and hour so she could go to the gym. She was a fat ugly bitch so it was a losing battle

another time I traveled a similar distance only to be told the house only had a 6 month lease and after that i would have to vacate this was after I repeatedly asked about the lease etc before i traveled

One time they tried to charge me 90 quid to credit check my cat.

I could go on, even if house prices never come down and many estate agents go bust I will be happy with that.

I cannot wait till it all goes online or someone does it cheap efficient and corporate.

Haha, they will try anything for a quick buck! :P

Basically estate agents are people that can't actually do anything. It's not sales, they can't really do anything to increase the turnover of their products. It's not really a service as people could even do most of the legal side (which the EA's don't even do, you have to pay a solicitor for that) themselves. EA's are just a glorified version of LOOT, but the ad's cost more to list!

Do you really have £1000000 in cash to buy a house?

Not saying that any EA's are very professional (they mainly nick your chocolate bars when you aren't looking) but at the high end I imagine that you get treated a little bit better (maybe still not as nice as the BMW dealer). Lets face it, buying a house for £250k in London (if you can find one!) is a little bit like shopping at Tescos! :P

No it isnt, its spending a quarter of a million pounds

Which for whatever it is, its a huge amount of money

No it isnt, its spending a quarter of a million pounds

Which for whatever it is, its a huge amount of money

You are obviously too sensible (hence why you are on this site)! 250k is peanuts for the London crowd! EA told my mate that his pad went up by 250k, in a week! Even old bob down the road can borrow 250k on his credit card and he is 73, I think he has a similar amount saved in club card points! We are all living it large in London! :P

Of course I am joking, as I was before. But 250k is just that 250k. It is a number and the number only has power in the relative sense. I agree that compared to my wages, IT IS a huge amount! Which is just why I get so angry at people (friends and family members) telling me that 250k is cheap and I should buy quick before it is 350k! However, compared to an EA's ego, it is tiny! Like most of their brains! :P

Edit: Notice how I cunningly bought the post back to topic! ;)

Edited by renting til I die

This is where it gets mental and why I am on here

average wage in Yorkshire is 20k so take home is roughly 16500 a year

oh no matter lets just borrow 250k for a shite new build

Just think of the estate agents commission then think of how many months you have to go to work to pay for it and the interest on top of it? and then on top of stealing a few months of your life they are rude to you and unprofessional too! There must be thousands of people laboring right now to pay off interest on audis and pointy shoes

The thought of it makes me want to never buy a house and keep my money.

So many are a complete waste of space. Went to look at a house and the agent waited at the front door while I looked about. After I was done he asked, 'what do you think?' and I said, 'it's a bit weird that the second bedroom has a shower cubicle in the corner.' He replied 'Oh, I didn't know that.'

FFS

So many are a complete waste of space. Went to look at a house and the agent waited at the front door while I looked about. After I was done he asked, 'what do you think?' and I said, 'it's a bit weird that the second bedroom has a shower cubicle in the corner.' He replied 'Oh, I didn't know that.'

FFS

Helpful, as always! They really earn that commission! :P

In my house buying process the Estate Agents been great.

Went to view a house and said - you look around on your own, make whatever observations you need to and when you're done I'll come in and answer any questions. Great! Meant I could test everything.

Up front and honest about the sellers situation

Asked about mine

After deciding I put in an offer - but as he was on holiday when I finally decided had to submit it to the guy above him.

But - while he was on holiday phoned me up to get an update on whats happening. Even though he could have just asked the office.

Taken a personal interest in helping see this through for me

Not even spending a huge sum

Edited by Gerinako

In my house buying process the Estate Agents been great.

Went to view a house and said - you look around on your own, make whatever observations you need to and when you're done I'll come in and answer any questions. Great! Meant I could test everything.

Up front and honest about the sellers situation

Asked about mine

After deciding I put in an offer - but as he was on holiday when I finally decided had to submit it to the guy above him.

But - while he was on holiday phoned me up to get an update on whats happening. Even though he could have just asked the office.

Taken a personal interest in helping see this through for me

Not even spending a huge sum

Well obviously he does want his commission! Does sound like a bit of a rarity though. Good luck, where abouts in the country are you buying?

Buying in the Isle of Man

I'd decided a while back I'd never buy over here.

But a property came on the market that in my eyes was a good deal undervalued and could (once modernised) provide the layout for my ideal home.

So any potential loss in value I'm semi covered.
And by the time I finish updating it provides me additional cover there.

House next door is up (& sold I think) for 35% more (70k) having reduced already by 30k.
And I'm damn sure it won't cost that much to get a 3 bed semi up to spec

Electrics are fine, brand new boiler, roofs fine..

In theory - barring a complete and utter housing meltdown

I think I've made a good financial move.

Think :D

I have experienced the other side of shite agents here though. Mainly the letting ones across the road.

We recently got this as our new agent: http://www.garforthgray.im/

I think there website and quality is top draw

Edited by Gerinako

I won't explain why, as I'll just be labelled a troll, but I've been on several viewings in the last few weeks.

Two of them were with young 20something EAs, who with minimal prodding opened up about how anxious they are about prices - they both said they were worried they'd be renting forever.

A third conversation was with a much more experienced 50something EA who spoke very plainly about her grownup children still living at home, unable to afford to move out, and remembering huge IR rises in years gone by.

I found it quite life affirming - much more honest and open EAs than I had met before.

I won't explain why, as I'll just be labelled a troll, but I've been on several viewings in the last few weeks.

Two of them were with young 20something EAs, who with minimal prodding opened up about how anxious they are about prices - they both said they were worried they'd be renting forever.

A third conversation was with a much more experienced 50something EA who spoke very plainly about her grownup children still living at home, unable to afford to move out, and remembering huge IR rises in years gone by.

I found it quite life affirming - much more honest and open EAs than I had met before.

So did your ex kick up the deposit you need. You life is your life, not my life. Some people are on New-Life 3.0. Same the for 20 something EAs.. their life decisions are their life decisions. I'm not sat her worrying for ownership prospects of 20+ year old EAs.

I'll stick my head above the parapet. I've been lurking here for years. I'm not a troll, I'm just full of doubts.

I bought a (relatively) well priced place in 2011 with my then-partner. Now we're separated - she has the house and our two kids most of the time. Most of the equity in the house is hers, but I'll get a small deposit out of it. Now I need a place to settle and ultimately retire into, to provide some stability for my kids when they're with me.

I've just turned 40 and I feel that time (and the world!) is against me. All my peers are settled with secure seeming homes and futures. Of course no-one knows what's around the corner, but I feel very insecure.

I'm not any kind of troll but my resolve is starting to crack. Of course I feel that the HPC must come, and I want my patience to be rewarded... but I'm losing faith. Most likely I'll keep renting, but I've started looking at 2 bed places in my area (east Herts / Uttlesford) for £220k, that would have been £180k just a couple of years ago. I would be absolutely maxing out what I can borrow at that price, very vulnerable to any rate rise. It makes me feel sick and I just don't know what to do :( Of course they can't be worth that! But yet... they're selling. Who's mad - them or me?!

I can't believe the Gov't have kept the pyramid scheme going as long as they have - and now I can't imagine them being able to lower interest rates for a long time. Also, the world is different from the 80s and 90s - the globalised economy has turned UK housing into a financial instrument for foreign investors, and I don't see that reversing now the Tories are back in power. But what do i know. All I know is that I don't know what to do... :(

Not everyone with doubts is a troll!

You're in a position that would be difficult even in a non-bubble market.

It sounds like it's up for sale, so presumably you want best price (non-HPC price for it), which must be something of a conflict in you posting here. (Or maybe you are positioning for her to buy you out)

There are inconsistencies in your post that trouble me. Your 'resolve is starting to crack', yet you'll get a 'small deposit' out of the house your wife has with 2 kids. Are you in a position to buy anything with your fragile resolve?

If most of the equity is hers... and you in your 40s... Well this market isn't one for 2nd chances, much less 1st chances.

Also should you really be reviewing your position against that of your peers? You a buyer in 2011 and seperated with 2 kids and 'small deposit' locked into the house, vs your peers? Setbacks and life decisions have to be accepted, and readjust our outlooks, at times. It might not be a case of you having the 3 bed house your peers have.

Well that didn't take long, did it! :rolleyes:

Well that didn't take long, did it! :rolleyes:

Venger labels anyone a troll that is less HPC than him. I have a suspicion he has a full length mirror in the hall that he can shout troll at before bed....

*waits to be called a troll* :unsure:

Venger labels anyone a troll that is less HPC than him. I have a suspicion he has a full length mirror in the hall that he can shout troll at before bed....

Well, strictly speaking you are trolling.

Your post is off-topic, which is disruptive. It antagonistic towards another poster - also potentially disruptive if they rise to your bait. Also you have to play a little fast and loose with some facts in order to carve out your 'in'; if memory serves Venger doesn't label other posters trolls.

Trolling is not a very useful label we restrict its usage to situations where we infer intent, (about which we can never be confident anyway...)

If the determinant of whether or not a poster is trolling is intention, then am I trolling here? If I just want to argue with you for its own sake, then definitely. If my hope is to point out to you that what you are doing is inadvertently trolling and my hope is to get the thread back on topic, maybe not.

Anyway, you're smart. You were trolling, and you know you were.

Edited by bland unsight

Well, strictly speaking you are trolling.

Your post is off-topic, which is disruptive. It antagonistic towards another poster - also potentially disruptive if they rise to your bait. Also you have to play a little fast and loose with some facts in order to carve out your 'in'; if memory serves Venger doesn't label other posters trolls.

Trolling is not a very useful label we restrict its usage to situations where we infer intent, (about which we can never be confident anyway...)

If the determinant of whether or not a poster is trolling is intention, then am I trolling here? If I just want to argue with you for its own sake, then definitely. If my hope is to point out to you that what you are doing is inadvertently trolling and my hope is to get the thread back on topic, maybe not.

Anyway, you're smart. You were trolling, and you know you were.

me busted.

Lol Wherebee; a few months ago my sister asked me if I wanted to have/look-after her full-length mirror very similar to this (she had no where to store it after a move) - but I refused, for I've got not space to properly place it safely either.

If you read docus' two posts above, he/she is the one who very defensively insists in each post they are not a troll.

Also Wherebee; I've followed your hpc journey with interest along the way. Divorce/separation as I remember it (or was it redundancy?) and you left all your family and friends behind to rebuild your life/income, taking work abroad, and rebuilt very significant financial security over the years (and I have to admire that).

At one point you suggested you would buy a place like this and be happy.. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38722411.html

If You Had Enough Cash To Buy A House What Would You Do?

Started by gf3, Apr 19 2014 06:08 PM

I'd buy somewhere in a cheap area, as insurance in case the bastards in power do a bail in. Then rent somewhere but take out a 5-10 year rental deal - maybe even a hotel suite rental. The rest I'd invest in gold and gold miners.

Something like this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43969765.html

which would be entirely bearable to live in if the UK turned to civil unrest in the cities for a couple of years (which is what would happen in a really bad crash event, in my view). Would I rent it out - probably, if I was not living in it. I rented out a house I had a while back, on a lower than market rent to get really good tenants. made me a small loss, but meant no stress over bad tenants.

Then again, if I never had to work again and won a million on the lottery, probably be happy to live somewhere like that frugally for 50 years...

Then you surprised me not long after, in your buying a house Australia, renting it out (and not being best pleased with early experience of letting-agency) until you finish your work elsewhere. So I do have a memory...

Thanks Bland Unsight. I've always tried to avoid using that description (having always preferred to hint it), although checking through my history it appears I've out-and-out called 5 individual posters 'trolls' since 2008, including 3 in a group in one single post in September 2014 (didn't name any of them in that post though; 'Big Troll + 2 Sidekick trolls' - and wherebee was on that thread without taking sides so may remember) on a particularly testing thread (haven't changed my opinion).

I have some new 'good practice' / 'anti-conflict' posting rules now, and don't intend to allow any individual poster to frustrate me, regardless if they outright anti-HPC, eager BTLer, claim borrowers are innocent for their huge mortgages etc etc etc.

I agree with your post above Bland Unsight, but I personally don't have a cool enough head as yours, the cold logic, to try and openly distinguish such things with individual posters, without risk of it escalating - where you can manage such things with more balance. Going to channel my mind more to market from this point, whilst still fairly questioning some posters about their positions (as above, re Docus and whether he has a deposit... couldn't understand his earlier post about his resolve/patience beginning to crack when it appeared he had no deposit - a sliver of equity locked up in his ex's house, seemingly going to viewings now, in this market.).

me busted.

Me too, but I'm not so bright! So, had no idea that the definition of a troll was so.... all-encompassing!

Better stop now, because now that I'm aware of what a troll is, I know that this post, technically, is trolling!

Lastly I just want to state that I am not troll because that's what all good trolls do! :P

I agree with your post above Bland Unsight, but I personally don't have a cool enough head as yours, the cold logic, to try and openly distinguish such things with individual posters, without risk of it escalating - where you can manage such things with more balance. Going to channel my mind more to market from this point, whilst still fairly questioning some posters about their positions (as above, re Docus and whether he has a deposit... couldn't understand his earlier post about his resolve/patience beginning to crack when it appeared he had no deposit - a sliver of equity locked up in his ex's house, seemingly going to viewings now, in this market.).

You do sterling work, and the extent to which I keep my cool may yet be shown to have been exaggerated if I keel over with a massive brain haemorrhage at some point midway through trying to beast a suspected troll...

Your questioning how the substance of another poster's posts tallies with how they've portrayed their position is IMO massively useful to me as a reader of the board, particularly as you back up your arguments with quotes from the posters themselves. For me, reading some claptrap from some poster that is just another face in the crowd, if you see what I mean, question one is "What the f**k is this clown on about?" and question two is "Where the f**k is this clown coming from?" Always useful to have another set of eyes on question two, particularly if they come correct, with evidenced facts, in the way that you do.

Lol Wherebee; a few months ago my sister asked me if I wanted to have/look-after her full-length mirror very similar to this (she had no where to store it after a move) - but I refused, for I've got not space to properly place it safely either.

If you read docus' two posts above, he/she is the one who very defensively insists in each post they are not a troll.

Also Wherebee; I've followed your hpc journey with interest along the way. Divorce/separation as I remember it (or was it redundancy?) and you left all your family and friends behind to rebuild your life/income, taking work abroad, and rebuilt very significant financial security over the years (and I have to admire that).

At one point you suggested you would buy a place like this and be happy.. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38722411.html

Then you surprised me not long after, in your buying a house Australia, renting it out (and not being best pleased with early experience of letting-agency) until you finish your work elsewhere. So I do have a memory...

Thanks Bland Unsight. I've always tried to avoid using that description (having always preferred to hint it), although checking through my history it appears I've out-and-out called 5 individual posters 'trolls' since 2008, including 3 in a group in one single post in September 2014 (didn't name any of them in that post though; 'Big Troll + 2 Sidekick trolls' - and wherebee was on that thread without taking sides so may remember) on a particularly testing thread (haven't changed my opinion).

I have some new 'good practice' / 'anti-conflict' posting rules now, and don't intend to allow any individual poster to frustrate me, regardless if they outright anti-HPC, eager BTLer, claim borrowers are innocent for their huge mortgages etc etc etc.

It's like having a free memory stick on tap! Appreciate the kudos for picking myself up after the hard times and giving up safety and security to travel the world. I'll send you a full length concave mirror as a gift :P

Yes, the house buying in Oz also took me a bit by surprise with the speed with which it happened. A good deal with a lowballish offer accepted on a long term family house in a good location coupled with a debt in a depreciating currency cf the currency I earn in, coupled with a big fear of keeping all my hard earned in zeros and ones that could be bailed-in, meant it was a no brainer. And yes, I could still live frugally in a cottage like that without any angst - but to be honest each time I go back to the UK it is a little bit less appealing as a safe place to grow old for an opinionated white male....

anyway, whatever my personal position I firmly believe that radically cheaper housing is the right thing for the UK (and Oz) populations, and to get there we need a crash to wipe out the indebted and foolish. I'll lose financially on paper, but still hold that view. My ideal future for both countries (and NZ) is:

hard line skills based / matching culture based immigration

large scale housebuilding and infrastructure building

restrictions on foreign property owners similar to Singapore

lower income taxes, higher land taxes

maximum loan values of 80% LTV (with the 20% having to have been saved in the lender for 12 months). 4x single salary (no joint mortgages).

hard line skills based / matching culture based immigration

large scale housebuilding and infrastructure building

restrictions on foreign property owners similar to Singapore

lower income taxes, higher land taxes

maximum loan values of 80% LTV (with the 20% having to have been saved in the lender for 12 months). 4x single salary (no joint mortgages).

A lot to like about that list - I told you he was smart, ;)