House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

George Osborne To Outline City Devolution Plan For England

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32726171

Plans to give English cities powers over housing, transport, planning and policing will be set out in George Osborne's first post-election speech.

Greater Manchester, which will elect a mayor in two years and take on such powers, should become a blueprint for other large cities, he will say.

The "old model" of running everything from London is "broken" and has unbalanced the economy, he will add.

A Cities Devolution Bill will be in the Queen's Speech later this month.

Speaking in Manchester, the chancellor is expected to say that trying to run everything in the country from London has "made people feel remote from the decisions that affect their lives.

"It's not good for our prosperity or our democracy."

As part of the devolution plan, only cities that elected their own mayor would be given control of local transport, housing, skills and healthcare.

"I will not impose this model on anyone," Mr Osborne will say, "but nor will I settle for less."

"My door now is open to any other major city who wants to take this bold step into the future."

So the great economic plan is unveiled.

"I will not impose this model on anyone," Mr Osborne will say, "but nor will I settle for less."

Roll up roll up, watch the man the swallow the sword...central government spending disappears only to emerge as local spending cuts for local blame, unchanged or higher commensurate taxation and an unharmed protagonist. Give the man a big round of applause.

Manchester council is 100% labour.

This will mean only 1 thing: Wealth transfer from Northern Powerhouse to Tory Sh1thouse

This was announced earlier this year - or last year!

Greater Manchester is Labour. Different sort of megalomaniacs. Suspect there might be some politics involved - less money than thought; less government support. Oops!

Just one more re-arrangement of the Titanic's deck furniture.

+1

More people to dilute the blame for when it all goes wrong and another layer of glory seeking bureaucrats at taxpayers' expense. More Boris Johnsons - need one say more.

Blaming not having mayors on the economy being unbalanced. Jokers.

As if it still won't all be run from London - or at least Brussels. If Westminster/London can't stick up for the UK against Brussels then how is some town/city mayor parrot going to.

"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws."

Edited by billybong

From the bbc link

Last year, leaders of Greater Manchester's 10 councils agreed to the area's first mayoral election, described by Mr Osborne at the time as "a massive moment for the north of England".

The move came two years after the people in Manchester had voted against having a mayor for the city alone.

Local democracy.

The idea was in their general election manifesto so it seems that mayors might end up being effectively foisted on the people of Manchester by their bureaucrats and by about 37% of the UK electorate that turned out to vote in the general election (about 67%).

Keep voting until you come up with the right answer.

Edited by billybong

http://

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor

In modern England and Wales, the mayor is the later descendant of the feudal lord's bailiff or reeve (see borough).

Edited by billybong

Prediction

Devolved Cities will be given the right to issue debt for investment in the local community payable back through local taxs (like they do in the US)

Borrowing increases so growth increases but national debt doesn't increase

The government congratulate themselves on the economic miracle they've performed

Then the same thing happens here and it does in the US and a city or two goes bust

Prediction

Devolved Cities will be given the right to issue debt for investment in the local community payable back through local taxs (like they do in the US)

Borrowing increases so growth increases but national debt doesn't increase

The government congratulate themselves on the economic miracle they've performed

Then the same thing happens here and it does in the US and a city or two goes bust

http://www.local.gov.uk/finance/-/journal_content/56/10180/3684139/ARTICLE

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Capital_Finance_Company

There you go then!

Ignoring that it's cheaper to borrow centrally and contrary discourse about how we're better together, it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

But as a convenient political and social engineering tool I suspect it will be too, and very hard to undo. Borrowing to build and invest in social housing and infrastructure on public land vs. borrowing to finance private housing and subsidise sales of land to developers, for example. I expect there'll be a lot of local public-private 'partnerships'.