House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ccc

Renting - Cleaning Required Before Moving Out...

Renting topic - but felt a bit of discussion on the main forum worthwhile.

Had various issues with my letting agents so now moving out.

Receive my 'moving out' pack - and included is a 3 page extremely detailed list of how and what I should clean to the sort of level that an OCD sufferer may expect. (It even notes that 2 cleaning companies consulted state the work should take about 18 hours ffs !!)

This got me thinking - why the ****** should I do this ?!

I have paid for a space to live in for over 2 years. I have paid about £14,000 for this. Exactly why should leaving it in a basic fairly state not be acceptable ?

If you think of any comparable situation - being asked to do this would be seen as a piss take - or literally some sort of joke.

Hotel room ? Car hire ? Skip hire ?

Surely this cost and effort should be part of the 'business' costs included in the service provided ? Its ridiculous.

Can you imagine having to scrub your hotel room down before leaving - even folding new towels into nice little shapes ?

Can you imagine having to hoover, wash and polish your hire car to a prescribed detailed list prior to handing it back ?

No - neither can I. So why the ****** should you do this for a rental home you have paid a serious amount of money to use ?

The more I think about it the more ridiculous and a total piss take it sounds.

What does it say on your tenancy agreement? That will define how clean it needs to be.

Was it spotlessly clean when you moved in? Did you take photos as evidence?

Edited by ManVsRecession

An 'agreement' means zilch if it ain't reasonable !! For example it could say I agree to jump off a bridge when I move out - I wouldn't actually have to do it !!

I am more talking about the general acceptance of people to do this - rather than the details.

In fact your response highlights this perfectly (not getting at you in the slightest).

What state it was in, what's in the agreement - neither are particularly relevant imo.

I hired something to use for a period of time. If I give it back in basic reasonable condition - why is that not enough ?

Businesses who rent places don't have to go to this trouble when vacating a property (as far as I am aware and in my experience) - so why should an individual ?

Of course there is pisstaking in the other direction . 'As you found it' seems a reasonable principle

So why does this not apply to any other hiring of space that occurs then ?

'As you found it' doesn't apply to hire cars, business premises, hotel room's, skip hire, u store premises - or in fact ANYTHING I can think of that involves hiring a space to use.

Can anyone think of anything ?

My view is it should be left as you would like to find it if you moved in. If you would move in and think this needs a good clean then it's not been left in an acceptable manner. However if they are expecting you to clean the whole house with a toothbrush I think this may be slightly OTT.

I know a landlord who stipulates in the contract that after the tenancy a carpet cleaning company will be brought in and the cost deducted from the tenant's deposit. No questions, no arbitration, just automatic. In fairness he does actually get the carpets cleaned, but to my mind that's not the point.

It's the mentality that all he has to do is provide the building, without expecting any depreciation, effort, or cost on his part.

Try a commercial space lease. Not just a clean, they'll want you to reair and maintain the building for them as well and leave the building in a condition it most cetainly would not be in if it were not occupied for a period of time.

Try a commercial space lease. Not just a clean, they'll want you to reair and maintain the building for them as well and leave the building in a condition it most cetainly would not be in if it were not occupied for a period of time.

Which is why commercial real estate is pretty much un-lettable at the moment.

Most tenants are wise tothe contract, so avoid them.

Hoover.

Clean bathroom.

Put bleach down bog.

Leave.

I would agree with this. If you have paid the rent on time, and been a good tenant, I would think the Landlord should be appreciative.

The pendulum has swung too far the other way. They should count themselves lucky that the tenants haven't smashed the place up.

Edited by 200p

I know a landlord who stipulates in the contract that after the tenancy a carpet cleaning company will be brought in and the cost deducted from the tenant's deposit.

Hmmm I'm not sure that's legal even if it is in the contract.

Speaking as a landlord I'd expect a place let for 6 months to be returned clean so that it was minimal work to ready it for the next tenant. If it is a longer term rental I'll have a professional cleaning company do the clean, including carpets and cover the costs myself. I might also have the whole place decorated. I'd sooner have the place cleaned to my standard by people who know what they are doing than some tenant splashing around with bleach to be honest.

Some tenants leave places in an awful state though, they seem to love drilling holes in the walls. One flat came back like a Swiss cheese. I'd hate to have their bodies given the amount of grease they leave in kitchens.

Edited by davidg

The reason for asking you to do this is so your deposit can be stolen. Whatever you do the landlord will say that it is filthy.

It is unreasonable to expect the house to be any cleaner than it was when you moved in.

You don't need photos to prove its condition - the onus of any proof is on the landlord. Was a detailed inventory carried out at the start of the tenancy describing the level of cleanliness?

Leave the place clean and then dispute any deduction from your deposit with the deposit protection scheme.

Only if it was professionally cleaned before you moved in and then if you clean it to a professional standard that'll do.

Ask to see the receipt for who cleaned the place before you moved in.

Your tenancy deposit scheme will have more info.
Your deposit is protected isn't it?

Edited by SarahBell

Hmmm I'm not sure that's legal even if it is in the contract.

Agreed, I've questioned it many times. The response is always, "Well the agent draws up the contract, not me."

The agent in this case is one I have quoted here before, who doesn't understand the Haliwide press releases and can't work out the difference between the monthly and annual figures. One of the saddest aspects to this never ending HPI is that it allows people like this not just to stay in business, but also to very directly affect other people's lives.

Seriously it's this kind of nonsense plus the fee gouging that left me all too glad to leave the rental sector behind. I just started to feel too old to have to put up with this kind of moronic influence over my life (albeit that in a purely financial sense the cost of these things is pretty minimal In the grand scheme of things).

An agent I used to use did suggest that a "harder to achieve exit policy can be a way of keeping most of the deposit to pay for preparations for the next tenant" and that I should have him implement such a thing. Naturally, he would draft the agreement (for a fee) and provide the cleaner / decorator etc. (for a fee).

That was the last conversation we ever had. There are good agents out there and there are bad ones. Just as there are good and bad tenants and good and bad landlords.

I ask tenants to take all their stuff with them and leave the place as clean as it has been whilst they were living there.

Periodic inspections during the tenancy would already have alerted me to a dirty / messy tenant and requests would have been made for them to up the tidying / cleaning regime

I budget for a cleaner to go through the place at the end of every tenancy anyway, to give it a 'proper' clean in preparation for the new tenant arriving - allowing 1 hour per room, which is usually more than enough. I personally meet every tenant and take the opportunity to make sure they notice that the place is clean, well decorated and in an excellent state of repair as they move in. Never had a problem so far. Never had to even think about keeping even 1p from a tenant's deposit so far. Long may that continue.

I work on the principle that the tenant is the customer in the relationship and that a good landlord tends to get good tenants.

Most landlords/agents will try this on - the more cleaning you do the better it is for them, in my experience the amount of cleaning you do has no bearing at all on whether you get the deposit back - if they are planning on stealing it they will even if you return the place spotless, if they plan on returning it they will even if the place is a tip.

Do all sellers leave a property clean on completion day, I very much doubt it.....must be lots of stories to be told.....

An agent I used to use did suggest that a "harder to achieve exit policy can be a way of keeping most of the deposit to pay for preparations for the next tenant" and that I should have him implement such a thing. Naturally, he would draft the agreement (for a fee) and provide the cleaner / decorator etc. (for a fee).

That was the last conversation we ever had. There are good agents out there and there are bad ones. Just as there are good and bad tenants and good and bad landlords.

I ask tenants to take all their stuff with them and leave the place as clean as it has been whilst they were living there.

Periodic inspections during the tenancy would already have alerted me to a dirty / messy tenant and requests would have been made for them to up the tidying / cleaning regime

I budget for a cleaner to go through the place at the end of every tenancy anyway, to give it a 'proper' clean in preparation for the new tenant arriving - allowing 1 hour per room, which is usually more than enough. I personally meet every tenant and take the opportunity to make sure they notice that the place is clean, well decorated and in an excellent state of repair as they move in. Never had a problem so far. Never had to even think about keeping even 1p from a tenant's deposit so far. Long may that continue.

I work on the principle that the tenant is the customer in the relationship and that a good landlord tends to get good tenants.

If only every landlord was as reasonable as yourself, these cowboy letting agents would be out of business very quickly. A deposit is just that, a deposit, not an additional rental payment. It's no wonder that some tenants go the whole hog the other way and simply leave without notice after smashing the whole place up!

OK lots of good info there.

I just think in principle its wrong.

Leave it as you would expect it to be when I moved in ? Er no !! I am the ******ing customer here !!

How many other situations does the customer have to clean things up that they have paid for ? Just think about it that way.

Good advice about asking for their receipt for professional cleaning if they start making noises.

I am just going to clear it and give it a basic once over and that's it. Will see what happens.

My view is it should be left as you would like to find it if you moved in. If you would move in and think this needs a good clean then it's not been left in an acceptable manner. However if they are expecting you to clean the whole house with a toothbrush I think this may be slightly OTT.

That's a good principle for you personally, but it doesn't work as a general rule since people have VERY different ideas about what is an acceptable state of cleanliness.

Leave the place clean and then dispute any deduction from your deposit with the deposit protection scheme.

This. The onus is on the landlord to satisfy a judge that he has a right to deduct that money, and I am given to understand that the system usually favours tenants, so long as they have been generally respectful and reasonable.

You can leave it as you found it...check the inventory, it should feature the cleanliness of items at the start.

You are required to return the property in the state you found it, barring on the way agreements, less fair wear and tear.

Anything else is an unfair contract term.

requiring professional cleaning is, I beleive outlawed as an unfair term.

The issue here is being reasonable....so photos of the time you moved in would help, and photos as you leave would help.

As for business premises, there is a term usually built in called dilapidations....which means return as found in lay terms.

OK lots of good info there.

I just think in principle its wrong.

Leave it as you would expect it to be when I moved in ? Er no !! I am the ******ing customer here !!

How many other situations does the customer have to clean things up that they have paid for ? Just think about it that way.

Good advice about asking for their receipt for professional cleaning if they start making noises.

I am just going to clear it and give it a basic once over and that's it. Will see what happens.

Washing up your plates after eating in a restaurant. Even washing your pint glass before you leave the pub! The more I think about it the more ridiculous the cleaning request seems!

I think you have made a good point. Just as long as everything is in one piece you should get your deposit back!