House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northerner

Scots Most Likely To Leave A Tip!

They talk a good game, but you can't argue with the facts ...

"The Scots are the most likely to tip (91 per cent) - with half of Aberdeen's diners always leaving a tip and 47 per cent of Glaswegians still leaving a tip even if they receive less than perfect service. Yorkshire was revealed as the region most likely to never leave a tip, with only 1 in 5 (20 per cent) saying they would leave a gratuity. A friendly service seems to be key to diners leaving behind some extra cash. But some diners are unafraid to ask for automatic service charges on bills to be removed. Half of diners from Yorkshire (51 per cent) admitted they had asked for the service charge to be removed. York was also considered the UK city with the least friendly restaurant staff, according to those polled.

When it came to reasons why people chose not to leave a tip - rudeness was cited as the number one reason (76 per cent) with slow service (61 per cent) and forgetting items (44 per cent) also making their way into the top three. Leaving a restaurant as fast as possible is also a common occurrence with reluctant tippers.

The average British diner will tip £4.18, new research has revealed.

The UK will leave a nine per cent tip after a meal and 87 per cent of adults will always leave a tip.

But men are much less likely to tip in a restaurant than women.

The survey of 2,000 adults, released by restaurant booking service OpenTable, found that 17 per cent of men never leave a gratuity compared to just 10 per cent of women.

The research also uncovered differences across the country, with Londoners tipping the most but Scots being the most likely to leave a tip.

The average tipping spend in the capital comes to £5.68".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11600876/Scottish-diners-most-generous-when-it-comes-to-leaving-a-tip.html

'Survey' :)

I would be staggered - from my own experience to be fair - if men generally tip less than women.

Whenever I see one of those surveys online my thought is "What impression would I want to give?".

Even if I never tip and usually steal the cutlery I'm not going to put that as it will go down as showing that people in the SW steal your silverware. Yorkshire people are happy, even proud, to be thought of as tight so would put they don't tip even if they do. Scots on the other hand resent the tightwad jokes (they've been going for years, see vintage postcard below) so would say they tipped even if they didn't.

They are a load of nonsense but mildly diversionary for a slow news day. For the real answer ask a national chain.

$_35.JPG

A friend of mine, from Yorkshire, insists on tipping wherever we go. Even if the service is mediocre or if we are having something basic like ordering a brekkie in a cafe.

Worse, if there are several of us if she puts a quid in then she expects everyone to put a quid in so the tip can end up quite a high whack combined.

Where did the idea the Scots are tight start off?

Which was the first rock band to use a misplaced umlaut on an album cover?

Why do pianos have 88 keys, when most everything can be played on a 61 key keyboard?

My piano has 89 keys.

Where did the idea the Scots are tight start off?

Which was the first rock band to use a misplaced umlaut on an album cover?

Why do pianos have 88 keys, when most everything can be played on a 61 key keyboard?

My piano has 89 keys.

I'll count mine now! Maybe yours is a mutant, because you put your cellphone on it!

The usual stereotypes are way off the mark. When I was in business, I could always rely on my Scottish and Jewish customers to pay their bills exactly to the agreed terms.

But did they ever tip you? ;)