House Price Crash Forum

Could A Uk Politician Ever Vow To Bring Down House Prices?

HOLA441
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

There will come a point when the potential house buying public outnumber the remaining boomers, until that happens it will be the brown envelope, or natural method. I am convinced it will be the natural method during this Parliament.

Maybe.

Problem with the 'natural method' - by which I presume you mean house price carnage - I don't think this cuts it anymore, as we've had such a long 'housing crisis' to then top it off with a particularly nasty fall will beg questions of the point and purpose of the entire 'system'.

In that sense I think the above 'just remove the props' contingent are easily ahead of the debate...

HOLA444

There will come a point when the potential house buying public outnumber the remaining boomers, until that happens it will be the brown envelope, or natural method. I am convinced it will be the natural method during this Parliament.

I don't know. The tories various H2B type monstrosities seem to be goading a lot of young people into buying some shoebox. I dont know what else you could call some of these newbuilds...they seem to want higher prices.

This despite the fact the next rung of the ladder is pulled ever further away.

You would think its not just renters that would be bothered by the current state of affairs, but the 20% or so of homeowners in substandard housing...those trying to raise a family in 500sq ft things.

HOLA445
HOLA446

No. And they should not.

They should stop intervening.

#banHTB #letmktsetrates

But that's the same thing.

"We will stop getting involved in the housing market and let it become a real market" = the same as vowing to bring prices down (without actually saying it).

HOLA447

No they sjould not. BTL is a business. Thus costs are charged against profit for tax calculation. To alter that would be intervention of the scariest kind? What would be next in that interventionist World? #Venezuela

What they SHOULD do is take away all props and when BTLers go bust, let them.

And yet:

But this is not just about low interest rates. The ability of banks to service this relatively new market was undoubtedly saved by the bailout of Britain’s banks. Buy-to-let only formally started in 1996. Yet, remarkably, Channel 4 News has established that 56 per cent of buy to let mortgages ever lent in Britain now sit on the books of bailed-out banks.

Roughly half of the outstanding buy-to-let mortgage stock is currently being nursed by the State in some form. Bradford & Bingley and Northern Rock’s joint £30bn BTL mortgage book is being slowly run off, in direct government hands from an office in London. And then astonishingly, in figures that the mortgage industry does not want you to see, that have been passed to me, about 65 per cent of buy-to-let lending in the year after the banking bust, was coming from bailed-out lenders.
Buy-to-let is a quasi-nationalised industry.

Source: Faisal Islam, Ch4 news October 2010. How buy-to-let was bailed out, is back, and may be bad for Britain

January 2015:

The majority of respondents understood and agreed with the government’s objective to do the minimum to meet the MCD, emphasising the different business-driven nature of buy-to-let mortgage borrowing. On the question of which borrowers would fall under the definition of consumer and be subject to the regime, some argued that all buy-to-let borrowing was for business purposes, while others gave different views as to the circumstances in which a buy-to-let borrower should be considered to be acting for business purposes. However, the most consistent feedback on this question was a request for greater clarity about what is in and out of the scope of the new regulations.

Source: HMT Implementation of the EU Mortgage Credit Directive: summary of responses

It's a business of a kind - it's a Ponzi. And HMT are balls deep in it.

No doubt the markets will speak plainly to this. As soon as HMT decides it would rather face the music than hold interest rates at zero and wait for a miracle...

I'm not holding my breath. Are you?

#utopian-nonsense

#all-Marxists-now

#ComradeCameron

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

And yet:

Source: Faisal Islam, Ch4 news October 2010. How buy-to-let was bailed out, is back, and may be bad for Britain

January 2015:

Source: HMT Implementation of the EU Mortgage Credit Directive: summary of responses

It's a business of a kind - it's a Ponzi. And HMT are balls deep in it.

No doubt the markets will speak plainly to this. As soon as HMT decides it would rather face the music than hold interest rates at zero and wait for a miracle...

I'm not holding my breath. Are you?

#utopian-nonsense

#all-Marxists-now

#ComradeCameron

You couldn't make it up.

It was ever thus though - the Cold War and the Winter of Discontent has considerably less to teach on this matter than simply getting your head around crony capitalism.

#givecapitalismachance!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

This. Everything else is merely academic.

Not if it tanks the economy. Also, behind the scenes there is all that stamp duty to think about.

More than that, it does appear the conservatives are genuinely ideologically wedded to hpi via fealty to vested interests - the others (I guess I mean labour in the main) less so to varying degree but mindful of votes - I'll give you that.

HOLA4413