House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
libspero

Will The Snp Actually Be A Force For The Good?

Broadest spying powers imaginable: SNP MPs plan to block Tory Snoopers Charter

As the first days of parliament get under way, Scottish Nationalist Party (SNP) MPs are planning to rail against Tory plans to revive a Data Communications Bill dubbed the Snoopers Charter.

SNP leader Nicola Sturgeons Westminster MPs plan to achieve this goal by lobbying moderate Tories, who previously opposed Home Secretary Theresa Mays surveillance agenda.

More here:

http://rt.com/uk/257737-snp-surveillance-state-may/

Anything to stop the odious Theresa May

Broadest spying powers imaginable: SNP MPs plan to block Tory Snoopers Charter

If they can lead a cross-party campaign effective enough to win decent concessions they'll prove themselves an effective opposition. Which seems healthier than the only real opposition coming from within the tories, as in Major's and Thatcher's times.

Ha ha. This will cause a few peoples brains to melt.

SNP bad, SNP bad, Does not compute, does not compute, bzzzzzzzzzzz

:lol:

Sadly, I fear you have a point there.

Time will tell for the masses!

However right now the snp has been a force for good for the only Scottish conservative career politician mp David Mundell who has been promoted to scottish minister in the cabinet. Managed to hold his seat by just under 800 votes. Well done david, eh! No other candidates for the job though. Right place at the right time :lol:

Edited to correct his majority.

Edited by Economic Exile

I imagine the SNP will form a large block of seats where the Libdems used to sit. They will likely get a level of attention and opportunity to speak that the Libdems used to get.

It could be a very refreshing change to have a large party in Westminster with a certainty about what they stand for. Maybe the other parties will learn something and take a leaf out of the SNP's book in that connection. A bit like Farage in the eu Parliament - perhaps. Maybe questions like "Who are you" to the LibLabCon leaders.

For a change a clear opposition (potentially) even if they can't formulate policy without cooperation from others. They should also get representation on the various committees etc.

It could be very interesting and even quite amusing to see the SNP constantly changing the subject to Scottish matters.

Edited by billybong

Depends on your point of view, of course. No politician can ever be truly a force of good.

They are likely to oppose the Government on an awful lot of stuff, and in the early days at least - are likely to vote as one. If they join forces with Labour and a few others, I expect the Tories with their slender majority will be getting regularly turfed out of bed etc to vote on something unpopular by their whips. They may end up being the hardest working Parliament we've ever had. :D

Can't believe my off-topic post was relegated to off-off topic :D

I thought it was quite an interesting story.. I guess my mistake was referencing a political party in the title..

Interesting that it takes the website of the Soviet communist party to highlight the data collections plans of UK Government.

In other news with their new batch of MP's how can the SNP fail?

Can't wait to hear this little filly's first speech in the house after a session in the members bar...

maria.jpg

post-13816-0-85952200-1431503561_thumb.jpg

Interesting that it takes the website of the Soviet communist party to highlight the data collections plans of UK Government.

Can't wait to hear this little filly's first speech in the house after a session in the members bar...

maria.jpg

Pretty tame compared to the sort of stuff you must have got up to in the forces?

attachicon.gifmaria.jpg

Notice none of those quotes come with dates. She said them long before she had any political aspirations.

If you were to actually give Mhairi Black a chance and listen to what she says now, you might find she talks a lot of sense. I can see her being a prime target for the English gutter press due to having a thick Glasgow accent and being so young (youngest MP in history) but she at least seems to care about her constituents which is more that can be said about Douglas Alexander who took them for granted.

Here is a video of her which I think shows she is going to be a quality MP:

Edited by CyberNat

attachicon.gifmaria.jpg

It's just as well Eric Joyce stood down, there would have been many a stairheid rammy on the cards!

Wha daur meddle wi me!

Notice none of those quotes come with dates. She said them long before she had any political aspirations.

If you were to actually give Mhairi Black a chance and listen to what she says now, you might find she talks a lot of sense. I can see her being a prime target for the English gutter press due to having a thick Glasgow accent and being so young (youngest MP in history) but she at least seems to care about her constituents which is more that can be said about Douglas Alexander who took them for granted.

Here is a video of her which I think shows she is going to be a quality MP:

In all fairness, she may be portrayed as a nedette by those who have not read her resume.

No doubt she is capable of debating her point. Good luck to her.

She will stand or fall on her performance over the next 5 years..

Not afraid to be getting behind some very contentious issues either..

11245801_903137593062837_518047055626364

I wonder if the party machine will try and reign her in a bit..........

She comes across pretty well.

That said, it's easy to get cheers when you're basically saying "I'm going to give you all £27k".

She comes across pretty well.

That said, it's easy to get cheers when you're basically saying "I'm going to give you all £27k".

But at least you can see that she is not the ned the media try to make out she is.

This is the exact point I was trying to get through to CCC yesterday. I would imagine that some of the older generation that have read the many negative articles put out about her in the Scottish press, which is about 90% anti SNP, will have made their minds up about her as being a ned.

Unless you were lucky enough to have watched the BBC program at the time of broadcast, it is extremely unlikely that you would have seen the real Mhairi Black without internet access.

Clearly enough of her constituency voters believe in her and at that age it's an outstanding achievement. Others will get to see her abilities in time - the media can't mask it forever and it's good that she can speak out for young people. Maybe some other similar youngsters (apparently she's 20) from around the UK will be inspired by her example.

Edited by billybong

If you going to claim that Parliament represents the people - then it must better reflect the make up of the isles. If we are stuck with politicans, then we should have more young people like Mhairi in Parliament.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

It is good to see that people are starting to see the SNP and it's representatives for what they are. Just a couple of months ago any discussion about the SNP automatically resulted in a wave of "SNP BAD" comments.

Progress!

But at least you can see that she is not the ned the media try to make out she is.

This is the exact point I was trying to get through to CCC yesterday. I would imagine that some of the older generation that have read the many negative articles put out about her in the Scottish press, which is about 90% anti SNP, will have made their minds up about her as being a ned.

Unless you were lucky enough to have watched the BBC program at the time of broadcast, it is extremely unlikely that you would have seen the real Mhairi Black without internet access.

Even if she was a ned I wouldn't be too fussed. Neds need representing as well; Parliament is too much of a monoculture. She's articulate, that's the main thing.

Regarding internet access... yes. We've had widespread internet access for about 15 years now, and just look at what has happened to politics in that 15 years. We've had a lot of things happen which are once in multi-century events. Surely no coincidence. The establishment must be bricking it.

In all fairness, she may be portrayed as a nedette by those who have not read her resume.

No doubt she is capable of debating her point. Good luck to her.

She will stand or fall on her performance over the next 5 years..

Not afraid to be getting behind some very contentious issues either..

11245801_903137593062837_518047055626364

I wonder if the party machine will try and reign her in a bit..........

Nah, the SNP party machine IS pro-Palestine.

http://rt.com/uk/252309-netanyahu-war-crimes-snp/

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2009/apr/call-suspension-eu-israel-agreements

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2012/nov/msps-called-support-palestine

I imagine the SNP will form a large block of seats where the Libdems used to sit. They will likely get a level of attention and opportunity to speak that the Libdems used to get.

It could be a very refreshing change to have a large party in Westminster with a certainty about what they stand for. Maybe the other parties will learn something and take a leaf out of the SNP's book in that connection. A bit like Farage in the eu Parliament - perhaps. Maybe questions like "Who are you" to the LibLabCon leaders.

For a change a clear opposition (potentially) even if they can't formulate policy without cooperation from others. They should also get representation on the various committees etc.

It could be very interesting and even quite amusing to see the SNP constantly changing the subject to Scottish matters.

The opening shot seems to be at the house of lords, and "no one who is unelected should sit in a position of power" Good start IMO, and surely of interest to ordinary people up and down the UK?