House Price Crash Forum
CyberNat

One More Step Closer To Independence! Snp Locked Out Of Scottish Questions.

Now that the Scottish secretary has been chosen, David Mundel, the only Tory MP in Scotland and the Shadow secretary has also been chosen, Ian Murray, the only Labour MP in Scotland, it seems that it is business as usual at Westminster.

Scottish questions is going to be a farce for the next 5 years where Two MPs from parties with just 3% of Scottish seats between them both plan to spend their time blocking the aims party of the party with 95% of seats.

The two unionist's will be able to bash the SNP for the whole session whilst at the end the SNP will get one question.

Another reason we need to go our own way.

Edited by CyberNat

Seems to me that after millennia of fighting among themselves in the face of English domination, the Scots have finally got their act together and united. I'm sure a small thing like a Con/Lab stitch up wont stop the SNP MPs. They'll have to hit the ground running, though.

It now seems like the English are more likely to precipitate independence than the Scots.

SNP are allowed two Q at PMQ aren't they?

Yes they are allowed 2 questions at PMQ's. At Scottish Questions Ian Murray the Labour Scottish Shadow secretary is allowed 6 questions to the Tory Scottish Secretary David Mundel. The SNP are allowed 1 question.

Mundel has ruled out Full Fiscal Autonomy and has denied that the Scottish people want more than the Smith commission has offered.

Murray has stated his intent to oppose both the Tories and the SNP at Westminster.

The sheer arrogance of the Tories in allowing these people to basically preside over Scottish Questions is deeply insulting to the Scottish people and won't go un-noticed.

I would have thought that the best thing the SNP could do now is to simply boycott Westminster?

I thought this was a funny idea. Taken from another blog I read:

Davy says:
56 SNP mp’s go into the chamber for the first Scottish session, if they are not allowed to ask more than one question, they just ask the question and walk out.
The next session only one SNP MP attends asks the one question and walks out, with a different MP each week.
And each week they must use their question to ask the speaker if it is fair and right for the majority of Scotlands MP’s to be restricted to one question during a Scottish question time while a minority party in Scotland is allowed six questions.
And just keep on repeating until common sense prevails.

Davy says:
56 SNP mp’s go into the chamber for the first Scottish session, if they are not allowed to ask more than one question, they just ask the question and walk out.
The next session only one SNP MP attends asks the one question and walks out, with a different MP each week.
And each week they must use their question to ask the speaker if it is fair and right for the majority of Scotlands MP’s to be restricted to one question during a Scottish question time while a minority party in Scotland is allowed six questions.

ask it in their own parliament,

And whoda thunked that a party in power would choose one of its own as a minister?

Davy says:

They should ask their one question in unison.

ask it in their own parliament,

And whoda thunked that a party in power would choose one of its own as a minister?

We would love it if we didn't need to have any representation at Westminster but until we have Independence we have every right to have representation there.

If the Tories had any real desire to keep the union together they could have at least signalled an intention to offer the SNP a reasonable amount of questions at Scottish questions. As it is, the people of Scotland's representatives have been completely sidelined at their own 'gig' so to speak.

It just looks so bad to the Scottish people and certainly doesn't chime with the "better together" message.

The whole things a farce;

Labour got 707,147 votes in Scotland and got 1 MP

The Conservatives got 434,000 votes in Scotland and 1 MP

The SNP got 1 MP for every 25,970 votes

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/with-56-snps-and-just-one-ukip-mp-how-can-the-commons-reflect-the-uks-political-will/

At a UK level SNP got 4.7% of the vote and 56 MPs

UKIP got 12.6% of the vote and 1 MP

Hey, Jock, cut the whinging.

I'd've voted for separation, and I applaud the SNP for not letting the Westminster lot just keep sweeping Blair's mess under the carpet forever. But I didn't get the vote on independence. You did, and you bottled it.

Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie. Your poet must be spinning in his grave.

We would love it if we didn't need to have any representation at Westminster but until we have Independence we have every right to have representation there.

If the Tories had any real desire to keep the union together they could have at least signalled an intention to offer the SNP a reasonable amount of questions at Scottish questions. As it is, the people of Scotland's representatives have been completely sidelined at their own 'gig' so to speak.

It just looks so bad to the Scottish people and certainly doesn't chime with the "better together" message.

You have representation in the UK. You have 56 seats and are the second largest opposition party. You are still a minority party - get in line behind labour and be thankful you're not being allowed to bankrupt yourselves.

You couldn't even secure your own independence when asked to vote on a single issue referendum - what is your problem with having 56 seats in Parliament? It's not a majority in the UK - you are still part of the UK, why do you think you deserve special treatment?

The whole things a farce;

Labour got 707,147 votes in Scotland and got 1 MP

The Conservatives got 434,000 votes in Scotland and 1 MP

The SNP got 1 MP for every 25,970 votes

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/with-56-snps-and-just-one-ukip-mp-how-can-the-commons-reflect-the-uks-political-will/

At a UK level SNP got 4.7% of the vote and 56 MPs

UKIP got 12.6% of the vote and 1 MP

What a load of utter tosh from Tory boy Fraser Nelson.

When you break the figures down things become a lot more clear:

The SNP stood in 59 seats and won a total of 1,454,436 votes.

So the average of votes per seat was 24651 votes per seat for the SNP.

UKIP stood in 624 seats and won 3,881,129 votes.

So the average number of votes was 6219 votes per seat for UKIP.

The SNP got 4x more votes per seat than UKIP. End of story.

Mundel has ruled out Full Fiscal Autonomy and has denied that the Scottish people want more than the Smith commission has offered.
Very bad politics. I can only assume the Tories have written Scotland off already. Doesn't show an appetite for the sort of constitutional reform the UK would need.

Hey, Jock, cut the whinging.

I'd've voted for separation, and I applaud the SNP for not letting the Westminster lot just keep sweeping Blair's mess under the carpet forever. But I didn't get the vote on independence. You did, and you bottled it.

Wee, sleekit, cow’rin, tim’rous beastie. Your poet must be spinning in his grave.

The Scottish people never bottled it. They were lied to, bullied, threatened and bribed. Even after all that the unionist's only just managed to win.

Now that the unionists have gotten their way, and Scotland has shown that they don't want to be represented by unionists at Westminster, we are getting treated like dirt again. The unionist don't want to honor their bribes.

Better together!

You have representation in the UK. You have 56 seats and are the second largest opposition party. You are still a minority party - get in line behind labour and be thankful you're not being allowed to bankrupt yourselves.

You couldn't even secure your own independence when asked to vote on a single issue referendum - what is your problem with having 56 seats in Parliament? It's not a majority in the UK - you are still part of the UK, why do you think you deserve special treatment?

Thanks. People like you are a huge benefit to the cause. Please feel free to post your opinions in the comments sections of Scottish newspapers.

As Tesco would say, every little helps!

Thanks. People like you are a huge benefit to the cause. Please feel free to post your opinions in the comments sections of Scottish newspapers.

As Tesco would say, every little helps!

Why do you think you deserve special treatment?

Why do you think you deserve special treatment?

Same reasons eurosceptics don't agree that the EU is or can ever be democratic. No common demos. A brief glance at the electoral map will tell you that.

None of it fair...that is not what its about...

Who cares if it looks bad until the next election?...nobody,

The Torys have one desire...to hold on to power. thats why they ( and all the others) pay people to tell them what to say. The era of principled politicians have long gone.

The Scottish people never bottled it. They were lied to, bullied, threatened and bribed.

You don't seem to give the Scots much credit for thinking for themselves.

You don't seem to give the Scots much credit for thinking for themselves.

It's the current narrative of both labour and the snp - that they were lied to and misled and the 'people' made the 'wrong' decision

Seeing as the SNP have said they are not going to push for another independence referendum for Scotland, they should push for one for England. I imagine there would be a fair amount of support for ditching Scotland and Northern Ireland (and Wales).

It's the current narrative of both labour and the snp - that they were lied to and misled and the 'people' made the 'wrong' decision

I know Kinnock has been bleating and whining along those lines, and I dare say quite a few others, but there is also a sizeable element that seems to be falling over itself now to say Labour only has itself to blame - it wasn't offering what a lot of voters wanted. I liked how one of the leadership front runners put it - Kendall? - she said Labour came across as 'the moaning man in the pub'.

I know Kinnock has been bleating and whining along those lines, and I dare say quite a few others, but there is also a sizeable element that seems to be falling over itself now to say Labour only has itself to blame - it wasn't offering what a lot of voters wanted. I liked how one of the leadership front runners put it - Kendall? - she said Labour came across as 'the moaning man in the pub'.

Comments on the Guardian are hilarious. The left is going to tear itself apart like a pair of pitbulls on speed. I can see labour splitting up.

Labour says it wasn't offering voters what they wanted, but there are two very distinct and irreconcileable camps. The first saying they should have taken a more middle ground to attract the floating voter and the other camp saying they weren't nearly left wing enough to attract 'traditional' labour voters. They don't realise that they have totally disenfranchised their voter base (white working class).

And of course they are all blaming the mainstream media (lol - even the BBC is getting it in the neck for supporting the nasty tories!) They didn't seem to mind when murdoch was supporting Blair in each of his elections. I've ordered a tub of popcorn for the ensuing leadership contest