House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bear Goggles

Cameron To End Lifetime Council Tenancies

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/aug/03/lifetime-council-tenancies-contracts-cameron

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of creating even more insecure tenants. The logic behind this is to increase social mobility by forcing people to move on when they get paid more. There might be cause and effect issues here. I find it difficult the believe that secure tenancies cause low social mobility. But whatever.

My guess is that this just will result in a load of means testing waste as thousands of people are reassessed every year only to find that they are still earning four fiths of FA.

Edited by Bear Goggles

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/aug/03/lifetime-council-tenancies-contracts-cameron

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of creating even more insecure tenants. The logic behind this is to increase social mobility by forcing people to move on when they get paid more. There might be cause and effect issues here. I find it difficult the believe that secure tenancies cause lie social mobility. But what do I know?

My guess is that this just will result in a load of means testing waste as thousands of people are reassessed every year only to find that they are still earning four fiths of FA.

NB: this article was published on 3 August 2010

??

NB: this article was published on 3 August 2010

??

Bloody Guardian promoting old articles. I thought the right were supposed to have a monopoly on the politics of fear.

Disregard.

Edit: also disregard my inability to spell, construct sentences, or read grey text on a white background.

Edited by Bear Goggles

What, means tested council houses......fair, but gives little incentive to do better, not that it is possible for many to do much better, stuck in a vacuum for life....little social mobility, far less than in the past.

What they should be looking at more closely is all the sub-let council housing..... rent to profit. ;)

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of creating even more insecure tenants. The logic behind this is to increase social mobility by forcing people to move on when they get paid more. There might be cause and effect issues here. I find it difficult the believe that secure tenancies cause low social mobility. But whatever.

Just like Bob Crowe

Just like Bob Crowe

Why has he still got one? He's dead. Maybe he got another in the after life!

Throw his wife out on the street, cos thats the Tory way!

Makes me laugh this. Whenever someone mentions Council housing Crowe's name pop up.

Never the hereditary rentiers who stole land 800 years ago, and live high on the hog thanks to CAP etc.

The families that 'owned' the land London stands on the 17th century still do, and always will. So much for social mobility there.

But a lifetime tenancy for the surfs! OMG!

Edited by RentierParadisio

Makes me laugh this. Whenever someone mentions Council housing Crowe's name pop up.

Never the hereditary rentiers who stole land 800 years ago, and live high on the hog thanks to CAP etc.

The families that 'owned' the land London stands on the 17th century still do, and always will. So much for social mobility there.

Haha, excellent comparison! :lol:

Haha, excellent comparison! :lol:

I'm quite happy to negotiate on my secure tenancy, provided we discuss the land the Duke of Westminster and his ilk 'own.' Seems fair doesn't it?

Would this be calculated on the tenant's income or the whole household income?. A husband and wife both working with two grown resident kids in full time work could have a grand a week plus coming in. Should they be in council accomodation, or not?

So it seems as if the lib dems stepped on this idea 5 years ago. Now it`s gone and so this is back.

How am I going to survive?

Easy, I`m part of the Tory client state. (over 55)

http://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/ebury/

The Grosvenor family married into owning what are now the most desirable areas of London when one 17thC family member homed in on 12 year old Mary Davies, a child heiress to great tracts of then undeveloped London. Now covered in Mayfair, Belgravia etc.

In 1677 Sir Thomas Grosvenor (20) married Mary Davies (12). He paid her mother substantial sums to clear the mother's personal debts. She struck a hard bargain. Once married, property development could begin, big time...

The full tale is the title essay in The Selling of Mary Davies by Simon Jenkins. A eye-opening read, and a good guide for other fortune-hunters....

Edited by juvenal

I'm quite happy to negotiate on my secure tenancy, provided we discuss the land the Duke of Westminster and his ilk 'own.' Seems fair doesn't it?

Perfectly fair, you should write to your local MP and suggest this right away! :P

http://hidden-london.com/gazetteer/ebury/

The Grosvenor family married into owning what are now the most desirable areas of London when one 17thC family member homed in on 12 year old Mary Davies, a child heiress to great tracts of then undeveloped London. Now covered in Mayfair, Belgravia etc.

In 1677 Sir Thomas Grosvenor (20) married Mary Davies (12). He paid her mother substantial sums to clear the mother's personal debts. She struck a hard bargain. Once married, property development could begin, big time...

The full tale is the title essay in The Selling of Mary Davies by Simon Jenkins. A eye-opening read, and a good guide for other fortune-hunters....

It's gone on to on my reading list!

Us surfs have to try and get ahead of the curve somehow!