House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Boris Johnson To Head Cameron's Housing Policy

Zac Goldsmith, Tory MP, is talking to Stephen Nolan now on Fivelive and got talking about housing. He said some good HPC things about the UK turning into a place where people will not be able to own a house unless they inherit it.

He then went on to say that he has heard that it is possible that Boris Johnson is going to head up the house building policy and said that Boris would be a good man for the job as "... you can't get the job done without putting a few noses out of joint.".

Edit: Headline typo.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Zac Goldsmith, Tory MP, is talking to Stephen Nolan now on Fivelive and got talking about housing. He said some good HPC things about the UK turning into a place where people will not be able to own a house unless they inherit it.

He then went on to say that he has heard that it is possible that Boris Johnson is going to head up the house building policy and said that Boris would be a good man for the job as "... you can't get the job done without putting a few noses out of joint.".

"A place where people will not be able to own a house unless they inherit it" - I thought that was the point? If 50% own their own houses and are free to pass that wealth onto their children why would they not vote Tory? The "job done" will simply be continuing as before. They are not called the conservatives for nothing.

Boris Johnson wants to see London continue to be a major major international city. A terrible housing market will threaten that, o suspect he'd rather fix it than not, but we'll see

Boris Johnson wants to see London continue to be a major major international city. A terrible housing market will threaten that, o suspect he'd rather fix it than not, but we'll see

Yes... and I suspect he will see this as a chance to ressurect 'Boris Island' and build vast number of houses in Essex and Kent?

Now that he represent Uxbridge, where thousands of Heathrow workers live and vote, I suspect he will go cold on the East London airport idea but imagine that will now transform into new housing plans?

The rest of the UK probably will be left to rot - which is normally what happens under a Tory govt.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Boris Johnson heading the house building policy...oh well, that means a lot more affordable homes (what a joke!) built in the rest of the country by developers as part of the planning permission conditions....well, that or he will 'evict' people in social housing out of London so that they don't get to live 'cheek by jowl' in those affordable houses alongside punters paying the full price!.....they will be making him leader of the party next (God forbid!)

Boris Johnson heading the house building policy...oh well, that means a lot more affordable homes (what a joke!) built in the rest of the country by developers as part of the planning permission conditions....well, that or he will 'evict' people in social housing out of London so that they don't get to live 'cheek by jowl' in those affordable houses alongside punters paying the full price!.....they will be making him leader of the party next (God forbid!)

You're probably right, places in the greater London commuter belt (Milton Keynes, Luton, Swindon etc...) will get more housing dumped on them (probably with some sweetener), infrastructure won't be improved, but never mind eh London house prices will keep going up :rolleyes:

The only way they will 'fix' the housing market is via inflation, which isn't looking too good.

The house market will fix itself.

The politicians like to think they are in control but all they do is tax borrow and spend.

Chief apologist for the criminal culture of London banking is going to make UK mortgages affordable again? :lol::o<_<

There is only a couple of ways of doing that, higher wages or lower prices.

Take your pick, either way they all know what many here seen not to grasp, its a TERRIBLE time to buy a house

The house market will fix itself.

The politicians like to think they are in control but all they do is tax borrow and spend.

I don't know. I think if the housing market "fixes" itself then the rest of the economy will get "fixed" good and proper. I don't think the politicians think they are in ultimate control but I do think they fear anarchy and insurgency more than anything else. If the current system goes terribly wrong then it will be Tottenham multiplied by 100.

"A place where people will not be able to own a house unless they inherit it" - I thought that was the point? If 50% own their own houses and are free to pass that wealth onto their children why would they not vote Tory? The "job done" will simply be continuing as before. They are not called the conservatives for nothing.

It's a nice idea for a conspiracy but basic logic will tell you that it's rubbish unless you think that the average couple will have only one child and then get themselves euthanised at a convenient age for said child to inherit.

It's a nice idea for a conspiracy but basic logic will tell you that it's rubbish unless you think that the average couple will have only one child and then get themselves euthanised at a convenient age for said child to inherit.

Half a house is still half of a house more than disenfranchised non-tory voters. If it's a conspiracy then it's one that the Tories have been peddling for 200/300+? years and has worked reasonably well so far.

He is a regular contributor at MIPIM. So he seems to be a natural choice - for the Conservatives.

http://

www.wcdg.net/content/protest-boris-selling-london-mipim-international-real-estate-show-professionals

www.mipim.com/

blog.mipimworld.com/tag/boris-johnson/#.VU57I5PkPI

Make of that what you will.

The suspicion has to be more overseas marketing and the prices of UK homes generally being set by rich overseas buyers - not only in London. Not an edifying prospect for the UK.

Edited by billybong

"London real estate is a global asset class"

Boris Johnson, Davos 2014

hell sell the entire country to his Chinese friends.

Chief apologist for the criminal culture of London banking is going to make UK mortgages affordable again? :lol::o<_<

How much more affordable can you make mortgages? Better to see mortgage costs rise, to put downward pressure on house prices.

Half a house is still half of a house more than disenfranchised non-tory voters. If it's a conspiracy then it's one that the Tories have been peddling for 200/300+? years and has worked reasonably well so far.

Offering people the prospect of half a house at the age of 60-odd is hardly the best route to winning elections. You've got a seriously perverted idea of the old 'home owning democracy' mantra that the Conservatives have indeed peddled in the past.

"London real estate is a global asset class"

Boris Johnson, Davos 2014

hell sell the entire country to his Chinese friends.

If the country needs to spend, say £10bn building houses and the Chinese are willing to pay for it, I say let them. We can always 'reset' the prices afterwards.

Offering people the prospect of half a house at the age of 60-odd is hardly the best route to winning elections. You've got a seriously perverted idea of the old 'home owning democracy' mantra that the Conservatives have indeed peddled in the past.

No I don't. I think it's bollo.cks. All the Tories need to do is persuade 40%-50% of the population that it's a Good Thing and they have a strong majority. A twenty year could quite happily plod along in a McJob earning beer money safe in the knowledge they will be safe when their parents die AND once they are 30-odd they will realise that the Tories look after their best interests and vote for them. I think it's a pathetic way to run a country but I also think it will have traction.

If the country needs to spend, say £10bn building houses and the Chinese are willing to pay for it, I say let them. We can always 'reset' the prices afterwards.

So you are happy with what is currently happening.

"We" don't seem to have done very well at pressing the reset button since they've bought, in fact we the plebs are paying higher rents and more in taxation and getting less in savings so our Chinese rentier class can see the value of their asset rise.

£10bn is peanuts. BoE as already funded 37.5x that amount. We dont need the Chinese to fund anything.

Now youre sounding like you probably ARE Boris Johnson.