House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Generation Rent On How They Will Try To Influence Housing Policy With A Conservative Government

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2015-05-08-Opinion-When-its-a-question-of-survival-housing-associations-have-to-step-up

Opinion: When it's a question of survival, housing associations have to step up

90_Logo_24dash.gif

Published by Jon Land for 24dash.com in Housing and also in Central Government Friday 8th May 2015 - 12:52pm
Share this story

580_Image_Alex-hilton.jpgOpinion: When it's a question of survival, housing needs to step up

By Alex Hilton, director, Generation Rent

Housing associations today face a clear and present danger and that will intensify until they step up and respond.

In the next few days we will publish a plan to end the housing crisis – and far faster than in a generation; the first such plan we believe to be in existence.

But this isn’t the worst possible election result for housing. We know what to do to get the policies we need from a Conservative majority government. We will spend the next weeks, months and years generating fear among those MPs – Conservatives and others - who face losing their jobs if they don’t end the housing crisis; those MPs who represent significant numbers of renters and those with the worst housing conditions and affordability figures.

We will set up a local group in every one of those constituencies to ensure each MP is constantly under pressure from their own voters; and we will drive the London Mayoral election agenda so that no-one can hope to win without a serious, radical housing agenda. And that Mayor will have the single largest mandate of any UK politician and will be able to demand legislation and resources from a fragile government.

A weak government, an opposition policy vacuum and a wide open London Mayoral race might mean that this is the best result housing campaigners could have hoped for – because no major party had either a plan or an intent to end the housing crisis had they won a large majority alone or in coalition.

The housing sector can have power - but not if you have bought your seat at the table on the condition that you won’t say anything once at that table. And that’s the current strategy of the housing sector.

We have the plan to fix the housing crisis and we have the strategy and ruthlessness required to make it government policy. And it won’t be me – my tenure at Generation Rent is coming to an end. But my successor, our team, the board and our growing body of supporters nationwide can and will deliver this strategy if the housing sector will get behind it – because we can’t do it without your backing.

Housing associations have perhaps months before legislation is on the table that could spell an inevitable end of their existence.

If you’re serious about the survival, not of your jobs but of your mission, then you need to get in touch with us now. It’s time housing lobbying took a harder edge.

The problem I have with generation rent is that their very name implies and acceptance of defeat and supplication to the rentiers.

I disagree. I think it sums up exactly who they are and what they represent.

Good for them. Actually good for us.

That's the organisation that walked out of The Homes for Britain campaign due to VI obstruction.

It's about time the issues around hpi and the housing crisis became more explicit and more political.

Please put aside your differences with regard to Generation Rent and support them please. They are pretty much all you've got in a rising tide of rentier rule,

I disagree. I think it sums up exactly who they are and what they represent.

Their name implies a lobby group for renters, so anyone who owns a house is immediately going to pigeonhole them as the enemy. They are a lobby for more general housing reform and they would be better off if their name reflected that.

The problem I have with generation rent is that their very name implies and acceptance of defeat and supplication to the rentiers.

They just need to become Generation Not Buying Until There is Value in the Market and the fate of the Ponzi is assured?

They just need to become Generation Not Buying Until There is Value in the Market and the fate of the Ponzi is assured?

But that's HPC! Those who could buy but choose not to are hugely overrepresented right here!

But that's HPC! Those who could buy but choose not to are hugely overrepresented right here!

Or those who could buy more than one small one and choose not to.......better things to do, less to worry about. ;)

Their name implies a lobby group for renters, so anyone who owns a house is immediately going to pigeonhole them as the enemy. They are a lobby for more general housing reform and they would be better off if their name reflected that.

Why are renters and homeowners at odds?

It's renters and landlords who would be in that position.

It doesn't 'imply' its predicting an entire generation exploited by rent-seekers. No point trying to appeal to hpi junkies or Nimby's, and sensible homeowners will recognise that that will not be a pretty future for anybody.

Will be interesting to see what their proposals are.