House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

What Do You Think The Actual £12 Billion Cuts Made By The Tories Will Be?

I guess the area that is least associated with Tory voters; tax credits.

Can't touch pensions for the grey vote and can't touch HB for the landlord vote

Tax credits have got to be in the cross-hairs.

I don't think landlords realise their wealth is built on government largesse, I think HB is an easy political target

I don't think landlords realise their wealth is built on government largesse, I think HB is an easy political target

Of course there's always the nuclear "Just cut it all". I get the feeling this might not have been a government anyone wanted to win, not quite the shit sandwich of 2010, but getting close.

When I saw the first interview with Osbourne this morning, he didn't seem too enamored with the idea of another term.

Of course there's always the nuclear "Just cut it all". I get the feeling this might not have been a government anyone wanted to win, not quite the shit sandwich of 2010, but getting close.

When I saw the first interview with Osbourne this morning, he didn't seem too enamored with the idea of another term.

They were making all these promises, as they were probably thinking that they had no hope in getting in...Its going to be great to see IDS squirm over the complete failure that universal credit will become...Just how many more write offs will it need?

The next five years are going to create the perfect storm for the Tories..

Edited by Dave Beans

There's been no meaningful deleveraging since 2008 and even that has been fully reversed by the Osborne-Carney echo housing bubble. The UK govt can no more stop borrowing, spending and printing than the Japanese.

Cuts fecking hilarious.

What they mean is we'll be cutting spending in social services etc... to give the money we now aren't spending on services to the bankers as interest payments for borrowings already made to pay the interest to the bankers previously.

Actually yes. They didn't actually expect to get a majority so their promises could be tricky

They were making all these promises, as they were probably thinking that they had no hope in getting in...Its going to be great to see IDS squirm over the complete failure that universal credit will become...Just how many more write offs will it need?

The next five years are going to create the perfect storm for the Tories..

I think UC will be filed in the same batshit folder that holds "Sell off remaining council stock to people if they get a job" idea,

They will find it difficult to get many of the cuts through as they do not have a huge majority actually, when added up against the other parties. It would only take a few abstentions from their own party to bugger things up every time...

I would hope Government Waste would be one category high on the list.

That would be a good start......but waste keeps people working doing wasteful work.

Yes, it's easy to sell housing benefit as a benefit for workshy/lazy etc whilst actually cutting it for landlords. Most people think the tenants get it.

A note on Labour, they need something new and fresh; fresh, untainted faces, preferably without the loony overtones. Dan Jarvis might fit that bill. Chucka seems like a chancer born of the politically correct gravy train.

A note on Labour, they need something new and fresh; fresh, untainted faces, preferably without the loony overtones. Dan Jarvis might fit that bill. Chucka seems like a chancer born of the politically correct gravy train.

I have just posted elsewhere about a Northern Labour MP saying precisely this earlier - they need someone who's had a job in the real world, and he named Dan Jarvis in particular.

Someone else said that the often-mentioned Yvette Cooper would not do - she comes with too much of the old political-class baggage.

Edited by Mrs Bear

The Tories will have to be very imaginative seeing as the pensioners are ring fenced. It is pretty obvious that the most disenfranchised will be the target, so it will be all of the low pay top ups that are paid out such as tax credits. The flip side of this is that the ire of the recipients can be easily turned towards the mill owners who are more likely Tory backers. It can all be quite circular this politics malarkey.

They'll remove the likes of JSA & HB to the under 21s, perhaps even to the under 25s

Edited by Dave Beans

It doesn't really matter what they are, its what the people voted for and they will get what they wanted. We've had over 30 yrs of Tory policies anyway so not really sure what all the fuss is about. I think benefits should be in accordance with what you have already paid in so if you have worked a yr you get benefits for the same period. That would be a great incentive to work.

While Scotland is SNP and UKIP/Green exist as alternatives I'm not sure how Labour can make back ground for some time. Sadly I think this result demonstrates that many average people believe their only hope for financial achievement, maybe even their only hope for maintaining long term financial solvency, is property. I doubt the swing in votes is a surge of rich wannabe rentiers; all walks of life have just voted for anybody else to wear net cuts not them. Means a lot of people are very vulnerable to economic cycles.

So are most the 'new' tories. They need a few charismatic and capable bods at the top, that is all.

Cameron is very very very lucky to have had Brown, and then miliband. Both are dire. He is also very lucky that the rest of the labour party under 45 are also dire.

Attack the least well off; divide and rule; spread fear; blame "the other" seems to work.

Oh and use public money for a housing boom never fails. Just make sure it doesn't collapse on your watch.

Sorted.

there are no cuts. there wont be any cuts.

Possibly why tories won.

I listened and listened for examples from the Welsh woman in the leadership debates for examples of these mythical cuts she kept mentioning. Not once did she actually illustrate real world instances.

Perfect UKIP storm, the Tories are going to cut benefits to the bone while carrying on with HS2, International Aid, etc

Rise in food banks, house prices, inequality, etc

Roll on 2020

There only hope will be to implement PR by then or they will be wiped out

Patience is a virtue!

Perfect UKIP storm, the Tories are going to cut benefits to the bone while carrying on with HS2, International Aid, etc

Rise in food banks, house prices, inequality, etc

Roll on 2020

There only hope will be to implement PR by then or they will be wiped out

Patience is a virtue!

And Trident.