House Price Crash Forum

And The Real Victory Goes To Mind Your Own Business

HOLA441
Pollsters facing independent inquiry over possible 'bias' after getting it disastrously wrong in failing to predict Tory surge
  • Polls predicted a hung parliament with Labour and Tories neck-and-neck
  • But Tories won majority with 330 MPs as Labour only reached 232 MPs
  • Chancellor George Osborne said polls would face 'a big post mortem'
  • British Polling Council announced it was launching an inquiry today
  • Comes after experts apologised for 'terrible night' and 'poor performance'
  • Voter turnout at this election rose to 66 per cent from 61 per cent in 2010

Certainly I never disclose my voting intention to pollsters or callers at the door, it looks like there are a lot of us about!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3073235/A-campaign-s-worth-polls-wiped-Pollsters-claim-voters-said-one-thing-did-MPs-thank-shy-Tories-shock-election-results.html

And...

Aha aha mwahahahahaha :lol:

286E6B5300000578-3073125-Sacked_Shadow_C

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest TheBlueCat

Certainly I never disclose my voting intention to pollsters or callers at the door, it looks like there are a lot of us about!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3073235/A-campaign-s-worth-polls-wiped-Pollsters-claim-voters-said-one-thing-did-MPs-thank-shy-Tories-shock-election-results.html

And...

Aha aha mwahahahahaha :lol:

286E6B5300000578-3073125-Sacked_Shadow_C

It's true, it was an awesome moment for sure. He did rather spoil the occasion by being so nice about it though. I was hoping for a Mellor moment (much better than the more widely remembered Portillo moment which was, again, spoiled by Portillo being nice about the whole thing) with a full on temper tantrum but it didn't materialize.

HOLA444

That's so clever, quietly ignoring the different number of seats each party stood in! Hopefully no-one will call you out on it, and make your whole point look a bit stupid.

Democracy in action:

UKIP 3,841,346 votes = 1 seat

SNP 1,454,436 votes = 56 seats

LibD 2,399,866 votes = 8 seats

PlaidCymru 181,694 votes = 3 seats

HOLA445

Democracy in action:

Looks like UKIP spread their efforts too thinly, or next time should concentrate on PlaidCymru seats as they should walk those (Oh, except they didn't).

I'd prefer some form of PR myself, but we don't have it - and aren't likely to get it - so there's little point worrying.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

see above

Yet, the Conservatives could only scrape a coalition with the Liberals, right in the teeth of Labour actually f@cking the economy whilst their leader was calling old ladies racist.

Presumably preferable to someone with a utility room that doesn't eat a bacon sandwich in an approved manner, or something.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yet, the Conservatives could only scrape a coalition with the Liberals, right in the teeth of Labour actually f@cking the economy whilst their leader was calling old ladies racist.

Presumably preferable to someone with a utility room that doesn't eat a bacon sandwich in an approved manner, or something.

Presumably preferable to someone who could still not concede (or worse comprehend) that massive overspending was their own downfall and would be there future downfall yet again.

Conservatives get in when people remember how badly labour screw the economy

Labour get in when people forget how badly labour screw the economy

Labour's next go on the carousel will come - it's just that 5 years and still pulling out of the previous administrations recession is still too fresh in the electorate's consciousness

HOLA4415

Presumably preferable to someone who could still not concede (or worse comprehend) that massive overspending was their own downfall and would be there future downfall yet again. Conservatives get in when people remember how badly labour screw the economyLabour get in when people forget how badly labour screw the economy Labour's next go on the carousel will come - it's just that 5 years and still pulling out of the previous administrations recession is still too fresh in the electorate's consciousness

Democracy is a card trick. The cards in the deck are carefully pre-selected and the media nudge people into taking the right one. Nothing's suspected as occasionally the suit is switched from hearts to clubs and no-one likes to believe they've been done over.

People then convince themselves that it's all above board because they seem to have seen the cards shuffled rather than accept someone, who isn't them really holds all the cards.

HOLA4416

Democracy is a card trick. The cards in the deck are carefully pre-selected and the media nudge people into taking the right one. Nothing's suspected as occasionally the suit is switched from hearts to clubs and no-one likes to believe they've been done over.

People then convince themselves that it's all above board because they seem to have seen the cards shuffled rather than accept someone, who isn't them really holds all the cards.

I don't buy your world view buy i must ask what your solution is?

HOLA4417

I don't buy your world view buy i must ask what your solution is?

A dictatorship led by me.

I despise the idea of anyone else having either more power, or power over me but, have no better solution as true direct democracy would be atrocious. The populace would quickly introduce capital punishment and embrace absurdly jingoistic patriotism like a version of their new favourite footie team.

I don't have any moral issue with someone pullng the strings my gripe is more that someone isn't me and an sort of anger at the people taken in by it.

As an example, before David Cameron arrived for a job interview at Conservative Central Office a senior aide from The Palace rang the interviewer to tell them what an exceptional candidate he was. Then, after barelh serving as an MP for five minutes, the media started telling us what an exceptional candidate he was for party leader. Roll forward a short while and it's how prime ministerial he appears.

I've seen little evidence of anything exceptional about David Cameron apart from his exceptional ability to have a face that imitates a polythene bag of very pink sausagemeat and he has almost the exact same academic and work record as Ed Miliband.

HOLA4418

A dictatorship led by me.

I despise the idea of anyone else having either more power, or power over me but, have no better solution as true direct democracy would be atrocious. The populace would quickly introduce capital punishment and embrace absurdly jingoistic patriotism like a version of their new favourite footie team.

I don't have any moral issue with someone pullng the strings my gripe is more that someone isn't me and an sort of anger at the people taken in by it.

Bloomin' heck - although I agree with your understanding that true democracy would be little more than populism by the lowest common denominator (unless certain rights enshrined - but then it falls foul of your dislike of the people with the power awarding those rights)

I admire your candour - if nothing else

HOLA4419

It's true, it was an awesome moment for sure. He did rather spoil the occasion by being so nice about it though. I was hoping for a Mellor moment (much better than the more widely remembered Portillo moment which was, again, spoiled by Portillo being nice about the whole thing) with a full on temper tantrum but it didn't materialize.

Balls might now be thinking about trying to reinvent himself and earning the affection of the British public in the same way that Portillo did.

He'd have a snowball's chance in Hell but it might be fun to watch.

HOLA4420

Balls might now be thinking about trying to reinvent himself and earning the affection of the British public in the same way that Portillo did.

That is word for word what Andrew Marr thinks will happen. I can't see it somehow

HOLA4421
I despise the idea of anyone else having either more power, or power over me but, have no better solution as true direct democracy would be atrocious.

Not tempted by a low-key constitutional republic, subject to checks and balances finely crafted by semi-divine altruistic geniuses, and refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants?

HOLA4422

Democracy in action:

Does anybody have the figures (I mean total number of votes) for the other parties too?

It would be interesting to work out how parliament would look like with a plain proportional voting system.

(yes I know, tactical voters would have voted differently with a proportional voting system, but we can only work with the numbers we have)

HOLA4423

Not tempted by a low-key constitutional republic, subject to checks and balances finely crafted by semi-divine altruistic geniuses, and refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants?

Not sure, will it get me a hover car?

HOLA4424
Guest TheBlueCat

Yes, I don't see that working either, he's too whiny. I wouldn't be surprised if he went off to join his brother in the world of finance.

HOLA4425

Apparently Galloway wasnt so pleasant.

Archived