House Price Crash Forum

Who's Going To Build Houses Now? Have The Nimbys Won?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't understand how prices can keep rising.

Surely there is a limit to people's willingness to take on debt?

It's more about the bank's willingness to lend. The public will take on whatever debt it takes to "live the dream" and out compete each other to purchase ever more expensive shelter, it's all part of the plan.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Quiet now...gidiot will treat that as a challenge.

LOL the challenge is on. 5 years ago £10,000 in BDEV shares, would be worth £50,000 today. Up 5x. Would they be worth £250,000 in another 5 years if they went up another 5x?

HOLA4410

Some new homes will be built......but only enough will be built in-line with available credit, planning and what people/families can afford to buy..... meaning how long the lenders are prepared to stretch the debt out along with how much 'help' the government is prepared to give to the property developers .......what we will see is more people being squeezed into less space, concentrated into smaller areas......more people renting out spare rooms, a greater number of smaller houses and flats, more houses being converted into smaller units to house people...... ;)

HOLA4411

Some new homes will be built......but only enough will be built in-line with available credit, planning and what people/families can afford to buy..... meaning how long the lenders are prepared to stretch the debt out along with how much 'help' the government is prepared to give to the property developers .......what we will see is more people being squeezed into less space, concentrated into smaller areas......more people renting out spare rooms, a greater number of smaller houses and flats, more houses being converted into smaller units to house people...... ;)

They'd better be prepared for more riots then.

HOLA4412

Lobbying from a Tory donor has already seen the room sizes of houses in the new town on the edge of Cambridge, Northstowe, reduce.

I have no doubt we'll see lots of shitty rabbit hutches built by the mass builders on crowded sites in unpleasant places in the next few years.

Well designed communities with decent facilities and individual housing, less so.

HOLA4413

They would say.....what more does anyone need than a table, bed and chair and good cheap internet connection......why most of the time would be spent away from home trying to earn enough to pay for it.......low pay means low living outgoings. ;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

You can kiss goodbye to that too. Social housing will be gone in five years

I don't mind it bring built and then sold into the private sector. It's just that mass social housing building programmes have a track record of success, admittedly imperfectly, but that scale of building doesn't appear to have been achieved thru other means

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I have to say I'm very minded to support a social housing initiative than market based right now

Have a word with that nice mr Shapps I'm sure he'd love to build more council houses.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yep, afraid so......BTL is in effect privatisation of social housing..... But it will not be too big to fail.

Well its BTL + HB that is the privatisation of social housing. That is why the Tories won't regulate private landlords, because they need a huge supply of rental properties to make their "social housing" program work.

HOLA4422

Well its BTL + HB that is the privatisation of social housing. That is why the Tories won't regulate private landlords, because they need a huge supply of rental properties to make their "social housing" program work.

Will have to wait and see......one thing for sure with the promised welfare cuts it will sort the wheat from the chaff in regard to over extended BTL landlords and those that require high rents to survive.

HOLA4423

Who wants social housing. The whole concept is of social housing is pathetic and totalitarian.

I simply want the basic human right to house myself.

Nope. You don't get that either.

We voted in the rentier party today. You get 'market rents' as set by the land monopolists. Deal with it.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425