House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Swarm Of Bees In The Garden!

Mr B just noticed, in a cherry tree just a couple of yards from our bedroom window. Have never seen this before. Big cluster of them maybe a foot long and several inches wide.

Not worried by it - just interested.

They are just swarming - looking for a new hive for the Queen.

When they do this they are often very weak and desperate to find a new home. Drones will have been sent out to find somewhere new. Their old hive will be close by and they will be gone soon to their new place.

I walked out of my house last summer into a swarm - it was incredible, scary but fascinating.

Just close your windows and doors to stop them deciding on your house as their new hive - they probably already have decided on a location anyhow.

foot long and several inches wide....thats a big bee.

They are just swarming - looking for a new hive for the Queen.

When they do this they are often very weak and desperate to find a new home. Drones will have been sent out to find somewhere new. Their old hive will be close by and they will be gone soon to their new place.

I walked out of my house last summer into a swarm - it was incredible, scary but fascinating.

Just close your windows and doors to stop them deciding on your house as their new hive - they probably already have decided on a location anyhow.

Can't help wondering where there could be hives around here. Mind you Richmond Park is not far away and I believe there are hives there.

I have noticed a lot of bees in the garden lately, nice to see when we hear that they are threatened by disease. At the moment they are very keen on those big forget me nots - I forget the proper name - I have a lot of them springing up like weeds every year.

We've often had wasps' nests in the loft - never bothered us personally but had to get the pest people in one year since were having windows replaced, one v close to the wasps' front door, and one of the fitters was allergic to stings. Did feel mean, though. When you see a nest close up it is so beautifully constructed.

Go amongst them, and they may elect you to be their new queen.

Or they might sting you to death.

You win or you die.

Can't help wondering where there could be hives around here. Mind you Richmond Park is not far away and I believe there are hives there.

I have noticed a lot of bees in the garden lately, nice to see when we hear that they are threatened by disease. At the moment they are very keen on those big forget me nots - I forget the proper name - I have a lot of them springing up like weeds every year.

We've often had wasps' nests in the loft - never bothered us personally but had to get the pest people in one year since were having windows replaced, one v close to the wasps' front door, and one of the fitters was allergic to stings. Did feel mean, though. When you see a nest close up it is so beautifully constructed.

They will come from about 1 km away - no more. They don't move far when they swarm. They need to find somewhere dry, warmed by the fun and safe from ants. Roof spaces, sheds, trees, etc, etc.

What happens is the Queen from the old hive gives birth to a new Queen and then the current Queen sends out scouts to find herself a new hive - when loads of scouts have agreed on a new hive location the old Queen leaves with about, IIRC, a third of the hive leaving the new Queen in charge.

Or they might sting you to death.

You win or you die.

Bees rarely sting - especially when they are swarming. They hack a finite supply of energy and are in no interest in hurting anyone unless you inadvertedly get too close to the Queen.

They will come from about 1 km away - no more. They don't move far when they swarm. They need to find somewhere dry, warmed by the fun and safe from ants. Roof spaces, sheds, trees, etc, etc.

What happens is the Queen from the old hive gives birth to a new Queen and then the current Queen sends out scouts to find herself a new hive - when loads of scouts have agreed on a new hive location the old Queen leaves with about, IIRC, a third of the hive leaving the new Queen in charge.

Could be from Richmond Park, then.

Would be nice if they made their new home here - we have a very titchy garden, though, and I don't imagine we have any sites fit for a queen and her entourage. Mind you there is an old, unused compost bin tucked behind a big tree...

ABC 123, It Eric the half a bee!

Kingston. Too far? but if not have you got a nice des res for them?

I'd love to visit Jamaica!

Kingston. Too far? but if not have you got a nice des res for them?

Yes I have a nice empty hive waiting. But too far I'm afraid.

I have two good hives left after the arson attack .. They were doused in smethng nasty, at least mine weren't set on fire.. Merged the two weaker ones and ditched the patchy queen in favour of the other.

Yes I have a nice empty hive waiting. But too far I'm afraid.

I have two good hives left after the arson attack .. They were doused in smethng nasty, at least mine weren't set on fire.. Merged the two weaker ones and ditched the patchy queen in favour of the other.

Evil people around. Bees have feelings also.

There is a wonderful botanical gardens about a 10 minute walk from my house - they have numerous kinds of bees in there. Bumble bees, honey bees, bees of every shape, size and colour. I like the triangular ones best. OK, maybe not. But it is wonderful looking at the flowers and see numerous different kinds of bees all in the same place.

Wasn't there a shrortage of bees? Or maybe I read it in a newspaper, amongst the other massive lies.

Well you don't have a shortage!

I just had an advert pop up for "Bristol Bee Removal". I am near Bristol, but I don't want all the bees "removed". I am not Himmler.