House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Diy Fitting Simple Window Handle

Trying to fit a new handle, that may well be identical to this.

casement window fastener

Either I'm an idiot or there is a design flaw, or both. The little part with the nub thing goes on the frame frame, but I can't position it near enough the window so that the handle part (mounted on the pane frame) meets it correctly. Also,the tolerances of the nub and the hole on the handle (which should allow the window to be latched while still being open a fraction) are too tight to make correct positioning feasible, and I expect it is impossible.

Sorry about the incomprehensible nonsense. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I can't find any diy sites about mounting these, as all anyone seems interested in, is adding new locks.

I think I know what you are talking about. That type of handle requires the window casement to be recessed in the frame in order to fit. It sounds like you don't have enough of a recess. A photo of the frame would be useful.

Hard to tell without an image of your window and window frame.

Sounds like you need a mortise plate rather than that 'nub' plate. If it won't fit it is the wrong fastner for the frame. Buy something else. I see on the website of the firm that you bought from that... well, it is not worth trying to return it.

http://www.blackcountrymetalworks.co.uk/refund-policy

Buy something else from someone else. Something that works and is easy to fit rather than something that looks pretty. Apologies if this sounds harsh but I have wasted too much time and stress trying to get the wrong product to fit.

I this any good? It is a very simple frame. The casement shuts flush against the frame. There are no rebates or recesses.

handle.jpg

I am, by the way, perfectly happy with the explanation that the fittings are inappropriate for the window. I can give up now, with my honour still intact

post-12439-0-88914900-1431018201_thumb.jpg

Mount the handle on a wooden block attached to the casement

A strip of 2mm or 3mm thickness would probably work. Alternatively, maybe I can file a couple of millimeter of the nub,

That is not going to work is it - as it is I mean.

I wouldn't faff around with trying to do any filing or adding little wooden blocks. Write the fiver off as experience and go find something else. Save yourself a lot of hassle and stress.

Right, clearer now. Normally the male part would be on the inside edge. You just need to pack the handle out as has been suggested. A couple of washers should do the trick.