House Price Crash Forum
bendy

Remember 5 Years Ago

The anticipation of the 'poisoned chalice' that was winning the GE and the forthcoming HPC?

Threads aplenty.

This time round.... :mellow:

If there had been real austerity there would have been an HPC.

This time around, an unstable outcome putting pressure on the pound and pushing up IRs is a possible trigger.

They are not even talking about house prices as a problem anymore. The bubble has turned into the new normal. The 0.5% base rate has turned from "lowest ever in history" to new normal and higher than some countries.

Thing is the economy has categorically got worse - much worse - since 2010. Unemployment is higher, but now they call it self employment. Purchasing power has experienced the biggest fall in post war history, the trade deficit is unbelievably bad, the gap between the rich and poor has widened, and debt has grown massively.

The propaganda war however, has been won thanks to the BBC and other establishment media outlets being pro-tory to a quite staggering degree.

Where we are now says more about the state of truth in the media then it does about HPC's largely correct predictions in 2010. (except for on house prices :lol: )

Where we are now says more about the state of truth in the media then it does about HPC's largely correct predictions in 2010. (except for on house prices :lol: )

its pretty bad right now (state of enlightenment of our nation)

chat with the wife last night, and she concluded if we put 100 of our neighbours into a room and told them some hard truths that *we* would be put into an asylum. Our views are so "mental". Thats who we have to fight against...the established method of thinking, ingrained into our psyche by the media.

It not longer matters what is truthful/right...crowd behaviour has taken over.

oh, and 5 years ago I was throwing darts at a poster of One-eyed brown stuck to a dartboard, cheering his departure. I wasnt cheering the arrival of David the Cameroon. I just had a bit of hope that change would bring...you know...change.

I'm always slightly shocked by just how little people know about politics and economics.

Not like "oh they don't even know what sectoral balances are" but they don't even know you they can vote for in a general election or what inflation or interest rates are.

I know gogglebox isn't exactly reflective of the average person but they got austerity and prosperity mixed up!

I openly admit that 5 years ago I was gleefully cheering Cameron into Number 10. This time around I genuinely don't give a shit who wins and who loses. It's making for a very interesting election, it being the first time I've ever sat on the sidelines and not given a damn.

Anyone read 1984? I'm 112 pages in.

The best exceprt so far (and there are a lot of great quotes to lift from this text) is on page 99 of my version:

'But if there was hope, it lay in the proles. You had to cling on to that. When you put it in words it sounded reasonable: it was when you looked at the human beings passing you on the pavement that it became an act of faith'.

The telescreens have done their work.

The best exceprt so far (and there are a lot of great quotes to lift from this text) is on page 99 of my version:

'But if there was hope, it lay in the proles. You had to cling on to that. When you put it in words it sounded reasonable: it was when you looked at the human beings passing you on the pavement that it became an act of faith'.

The best book ever written, a real warning of what could happen, or is happening to some degree depending on your opinion. You only have to look at the election coverage from a certain uniquely funded corporation to see the agenda. Vote wisely all, you never know it could make a difference, if not for you then for those still too young to vote or even those not born yet.

Edited by JustAnotherProle

This time around I genuinely don't give a shit

This.

This basically sums up what a very large percentage of the electorate think.

This.

This basically sums up what a very large percentage of the electorate think.

The press seems to think (even the indy!) the sky will fall if its anything other than con-lib.

Why, they cant tell us exactly. But they have lots of words like 'terrible' 'risky' and 'last chance' to make their point.

Edited by Executive Sadman

They said we're all in this together

What they failed to say is that the pigs are less in it together then all the other animals

The press seems to think (even the indy!) the sky will fall if its anything other than con-lib.

Why, they cant tell us exactly. But they have lots of words like 'terrible' 'risky' and 'last chance' to make their point.

It probably will in which case the more you have to lose the worse it will be for you. And since those on the wrong side of the housing divide will have little to lose then they can look it in the eye rather more easily.

Outstanding, disturbing book.

Luckily for us, crop production is up and we are winning the war against Eurasia.

Maybe, maybe no, we haven`t had the vote yet. The rise of the SNP says to me that more people are engaging than five years ago for example? Saw some woman on the TV saying she just wanted to borrow what she needed to buy a house, but couldn`t get the loan, kids jumping on her etc. the usual propaganda scene, but how many are really like that, how many are now thinking "Screw debt as a lifestyle"? The bbc won`t film in their kitchens. Never read 1984, although I noticed a copy lying about in work one day, so maybe their is an underground revolution going on! Fahrenheit 451 was chilling in it`s future predictions about reality TV, phones, electronic gadgets cutting us off from others etc.

In my experience of elections (dating back to the Wilson/Heath epoch) all elections have been 'last chance' according to the Right Wing press.

Hopefully this election will call time on the disastrous comic double/act stitch up that is Labour/Tory (if nothing else).

Edited by RentierParadisio

I like to re-read it every few years, it is very chilling. Although now I always refer to the BBC as the ministry for information.

Oh the irony that one of there most popular show is "room 101"

Its also ironic the BBC do the lottery too.

Only think he didn't predict was the internetz, the gov was not prepared for the spread of information the internetz has caused.

I like to re-read it every few years, it is very chilling. Although now I always refer to the BBC as the ministry for information.

Oh the irony that one of there most popular show is "room 101"

Its also ironic the BBC do the lottery too.

Only think he didn't predict was the internetz, the gov was not prepared for the spread of information the internetz has caused.

Starting to think the interweb is a bit of a trap.

Who would have thought we would install our own 'spy cams' in our homes and narrowcast them live.

We have willingly volunteered a lot of information on ourselves to social media. Far more efficient info gathering system than any overt State system

As Stewart Lee once observed 'Twitter is the Stazi for the Angry birds generation'

Starting to think the interweb is a bit of a trap.

Who would have thought we would install our own 'spy cams' in our homes and narrowcast them live.

We have willingly volunteered a lot of information on ourselves to social media. Far more efficient info gathering system than any overt State system

As Stewart Lee once observed 'Twitter is the Stazi for the Angry birds generation'

Yes that is true but in the same respects any governments dirty little secrets leak all over it too. Whatever you may think of david icke his forum on Saville is the place to go to find out which celebrity or MP yew tree will arrest next.

So they can read all our stuff and do IF they have the manpower but we are kind of protected by the sheer volume of data. They should be much more worried, nothing on any computer is secret. IM sure there secrets are waaaayyyy worse than mine ;)

Outstanding, disturbing book.

Luckily for us, crop production is up and we are winning the war against Eurasia.

And if you haven't read it, Animal Farm is also a must. Take particular note of Boxer's fate.

George Orwell is by far my favourite political writer.

And if you haven't read it, Animal Farm is also a must. Take particular note of Boxer's fate.

George Orwell is by far my favourite political writer.

Boxer represents the not so bright prole sent to the glue factory for his loyalty iirc

Rather like the common man under Gordon Brown's economic miracle