House Price Crash Forum

Do You Remember The Av Vote?

SarahBell

HOLA441

I think one of the main arguments was it would mean we moved to a system where hung parliaments and coalitions would be the norm and that first past the post was better as it delivers a government with a clear majority and mandate to lead, rather ironic really given since the result was no we haven't been able to get majority government (at least it's looking that way).

I find it very hard to see how you could have written that at the time of your post.

HOLA442

More people voted UKIP than SNP......56 seats to 1 seat.....go figure. ;)

The SNP were very popular in a relatively small area, UKIP not as popular in a much bigger one. Even with a PR-like system I'd still want to keep some sense of local representation, which would always mean the chance of some discrepancy between seats and total number of votes over the whole country.

That said even if you scale by area they were standing in UKIP still lost out.

HOLA443

I voted no as it wasn't the right system. We need full PR in this country. AV was a fudge that favoured the middle party. Hence it was the LibDems who wanted it.

I think that was it. At the time it looked like a worse option than what we had.

HOLA444

I find it very hard to see how you could have written that at the time of your post.

There were still plenty of seats to declare at that point an out right majority wasn't a sure thing. At that time in the morning there was still talk of a coalition or at least the Tories needing support of the DUP.

HOLA445

The SNP were very popular in a relatively small area, UKIP not as popular in a much bigger one. Even with a PR-like system I'd still want to keep some sense of local representation, which would always mean the chance of some discrepancy between seats and total number of votes over the whole country.

That said even if you scale by area they were standing in UKIP still lost out.

Look AV was a botched vote.......it was purposely confusing and intentionally obfuscated, the liberal democrats must have made a deal with the tories on that one.....Cleg was soft, weak and a yes man imo........he was quite happy to swing from latching up to the Conservatives then to Labour if need be.....long-term job for him and his party, instead of standing up forcefully on what they believe in.....didn't work out though.

Proportional representation is a different kettle of fish.....the two major party would not benefit from it so why would they change things. All I know is my vote will never count unless I move, thousands of people living in England therefore do not have a vote......jobs for the boys, and no I do not vote UKIP but I know many who do, their vote is valueless so is the green vote and the vote of anyone that lives in an area with an overall majority for a particular one of the two parties......and they call it democracy. ;)

Archived