House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Do You Remember The Av Vote?

Yep, I voted for it. I hope the many people who complain about having to tactical vote also did, if they didn't, they only have themselves to blame with the shower of #@&% system we have now. I bet tomorrows paper will be full of "<insert party name> got a massive X% of the vote but only got 1 MP, how is this democracy?"

I voted for it. I didn't think much of the idea but felt that a "No" vote would get interpreted as support for the status quo, doesn't need fixing thank you very much.

I voted against it, which I'm starting to regret.

Ditto....

If this election gives no result and another follows in short order with the same outcome the clamour for AV will become unstoppable...

I voted in favour. Lots of people were instructed by their newspaper to vote against.

OP, can you make this topic a poll please?

Done!

I voted no as it wasn't the right system. We need full PR in this country. AV was a fudge that favoured the middle party. Hence it was the LibDems who wanted it.

I voted yes. I remember walking past Lord Winston the next day and him saying "good" when finding out that another academic had voted no.

Can someone explain to me any downside to having AV (I'm sure it was probably mentioned at the time - was it a money issue?)

I voted yes. I remember walking past Lord Winston the next day and him saying "good" when finding out that another academic had voted no.

Can someone explain to me any downside to having AV (I'm sure it was probably mentioned at the time - was it a money issue?)

I think one of the main arguments was it would mean we moved to a system where hung parliaments and coalitions would be the norm and that first past the post was better as it delivers a government with a clear majority and mandate to lead, rather ironic really given since the result was no we haven't been able to get majority government (at least it's looking that way).

I didn't vote for anything! Remember to visit the PinWorld theme park! :o

Yes I also abstained. It was clearly a false choice, the rubbish status quo or the rubbish new idea.

Didn't vote as AV is a fudge and FPTP is also not right.

Yes I also abstained. It was clearly a false choice, the rubbish status quo or the rubbish new idea.

That, and that AV would in all probability increase tactical voting shenanigans.

How can we ever get the most reasonable voting system, PR, when the Tories and Labour do better without it and are against it?

SNP actually support PR even though they would do worse with it in Westminster, good on them.