SNACR

HOLA441
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I don't know whether to spoil the ballot paper with rude words or plump for one of the smaller parties like the Greens, although I'm not convinced of their ideas. However I'm loathe to vote for the liblabcon sameness. It's an election with no choice and it appears our voting system has hit a brick wall especially as they all know the country is fooked and none of them want to be in charge of this mess!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

If you are unhappy with the last government and will not be voting for them, they will be thanking you for not voting against them.

I agree with voting against one party if you feel that there is a viable alternative. In your case, I know this to be the case, so good luck to you. In my case, I believe they are all unsuitable for the role of government.

Sorry, bleary eyed, edited for clarity.

HOLA4411

Ive always been fascinated by the idea of the "protest" vote.

As if the winner gives a shit about the count.

All it does is encourage the losers to fight again when in fact you werent voting for them either.

HOLA4412

I agree with voting against one party if you feel that there is a viable alternative. In your case, I know this to be the case, so good luck to you. In my case, I believe they are all unsuitable for the role of government.

Sorry, bleary eyed, edited for clarity.

Then surely it would be better to vote for the least unsuitable? That would give a clearer signal.

To my mind, the only reason to spoil one's ballot paper would be if one lived in a country where voting is compulsory.

HOLA4413

Then surely it would be better to vote for the least unsuitable? That would give a clearer signal.

To my mind, the only reason to spoil one's ballot paper would be if one lived in a country where voting is compulsory.

It's the unwinnable argument - I doubt any minds will be changed by what we could discuss here ;-)

HOLA4414

When I lived in Selby constituency in the 2005 general election there were only 3 candidates on the ballot paper: LibDem, Lab, and Con. I can see why somebody with such limited choice might choose to spoil their ballot paper rather than add to the national vote share of those parties.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ive always been fascinated by the idea of the "protest" vote.

As if the winner gives a shit about the count.

All it does is encourage the losers to fight again when in fact you werent voting for them either.

Struggled with exactly that too; winners just carry on with VI policies - my thinking is it's just possible they may tread more carefully, if they realise there is an increased current of dissatisfaction, even if they have got their seats and back in power.

HOLA4417

Imagine if everyone spoiled their paper. Picture the looks on their political faces when they realised that there was no mandate to tax.

However you extrapolate tactical voting, OTOH, it's still just another election and still just politics.

HOLA4418

Think I maxed out on poll options so can't add spoilt ballot.

Didn't Wikileaks reveal that ballot paper spoilers were investigated by the state as potential subversives after the 1997 election. Think it's the same with people that refuse to complete the census on political grounds?

Also add, the roads are insanely busy this morning so don't know if that's going to be indicative of turnout, maybe people voting before work.

HOLA4419

Didn't Wikileaks reveal that ballot paper spoilers were investigated by the state as potential subversives after the 1997 election. Think it's the same with people that refuse to complete the census on political grounds?

Also add, the roads are insanely busy this morning so don't know if that's going to be indicative of turnout, maybe people voting before work.

I found my corner of the North West to have quieter roads this morning but when I got to work the car park was fuller than expected for the time.

Roads should be quieter, all those school closures give you a semi school holiday effect.

HOLA4420

Isn't good weather considered to be an advantage for Labour? I think the rationale is that Labour voters only leave the house if the sun is shining.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

We've heard about the 'shy tories' well I consider myself a 'lost' tory voter. I just dont want to vote for Dave or his party.

I have spent the whole campaign intending either not to vote, or maybe make a protest vote.

But in the last few days something has kicked in. Probably a revulsion to labour which is a lot stronger than a revulsion to the current tories. Im gonna get sucked into voting for the blues. The reason: Whoever forms the next govt will spend at least 6 figures of my hard earned. They will not do anything i believe will benefit the country. Additionally, I have no kids, I dont use any public services (except for the occasional need for a crime number from a half-arsed plod) and ive seen countless family members let down by the NHS. I feel like whoever wins will piss my money away and give me ****** all in return. But maybe the Tories will let me keep a couple of grand a year more of my hard earned.

So, thats where i might put my cross. But i would dearly love a more palatable option.

HOLA4423

How can I vote for any party, even as a protest against LibLabCon, when all of them have ideas that are utterly horrific to me? Sometimes the lesser evil is still too evil to tolerate. There's no party that I could put my name next to with any sense of conscience. The only thing that would possibly change my mind (other than a huge shift in politics) is an individual candidate who stands out as being decent.

HOLA4424

It wouldn't surprise me. And dispels any notion of a free democracy at the same time.

HOLA4425

I miss Screamin' Lord Sutch. Todays elections are so colourless.

Irrelevant trivia alert: I knew his wife - she worked in the hosiery section of Debenhams at Lakeside.

Where's the poll option for "spoil ballot paper/none of the above"?

Edit: hosiery (tights and stuff) - not lingerie (knickers)

Archived