House Price Crash Forum

Why Do Agents Put Fixed Price?

HOLA441

I was looking for rental prices for the Se for a bit of research on living costs I was doing for something, when this came up...

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36443073?search_identifier=e4a43e74ce9248b68ca6c0c434150817#8OD4pHJKkprhsaH6.97

If I offered 1,249,999 would they say no? And don't they have to pass all offers on anyway?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was looking for rental prices for the Se for a bit of research on living costs I was doing for something, when this came up...

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/36443073?search_identifier=e4a43e74ce9248b68ca6c0c434150817#8OD4pHJKkprhsaH6.97

If I offered 1,249,999 would they say no? And don't they have to pass all offers on anyway?

I have been told (by an EA) that if the ad states fixed price the agent does not have to pass on lower offers.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
I'd imagine it just means no one goes to view it.

That seems entirely plausible.

There's a "fixed price" house that looks just right for me from the online details. Can't bring myself to ask the agent about it while that would tell them I'm just accepting the price.

HOLA448

it's called marketing.

It's to make the idiot buyer think thats the price they have to pay.

I'd imagine it just means no one goes to view it.

Thats whats happening round mine "south yorkshire" loads been on the market for ages over a year in some cases. I don't think anyone ever views them.

HOLA449

That seems entirely plausible.

There's a "fixed price" house that looks just right for me from the online details. Can't bring myself to ask the agent about it while that would tell them I'm just accepting the price.

yeah, I just ignore them. Whats the point of going to view a house that's 200K over valued if they wont even haggle down 5K

:lol::lol::lol:

My other favourite is sealed bids.

Do me a favour, mugs game or what.

HOLA4410

Thats whats happening round mine "south yorkshire" loads been on the market for ages over a year in some cases. I don't think anyone ever views them.

A house is only worth what someone will pay for it, so if no one wants to buy it, it's worth f**k all.

HOLA4411

Surely this tactic only works in a market with high volumes and cash buyers (or loose lending criteria).

And only then for buyers too stupid or eccentric to use rightmove and the land registry.

HOLA4412

I looked at a house once that was on the Market for "Offers over £120k". I offered £120k and they told me the seller wouldn't take anything less than £180k.

It all seems so pointless, but I suppose it makes sense if you're a duplicitous shit who thinks annoying people by wasting their time is some sort of valid sales tactic. It astounds me that these shysters aren't regulated in some way.

Edited by SpectrumFX

HOLA4413

A house is only worth what someone will pay for it, so if no one wants to buy it, it's worth f**k all.

Yup, people just don't realize that especially when they are being brainwashed by the bbc telling them prices are going up etc etc. There are no Chinese investors in Yorkshire just a bunch of shit houses owned by old people waiting on there boomer payout which isn't coming because the average wage here is 20k

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

+1

That is Rant Gold, my friend. Well done!

LOL thank you.

My ranting has good grounds. Although the average wage in Yorkshire is 20k this also includes York and Harrogate, I would imagine the actual wage is much lower in the poorer areas if at all, my area is South Yorkshire and there is a lot of poor folk, proper poor in tracksuits in town going between cash converters trying to punt old dvd players for money for nappies. You can pick up a shit cheap ish house like 80k lol but in the suburbs the boomers all want 200k upwards for there semis or bungalows. Also all the new builds are about that too with of course HTB.

It would seem they all live in a world of delusion, how they expect a population who work in shit warehouses or sausage vans to buy up the multitude of 250k houses for sale round mine is complete and utter madness. Hence why I see loads of houses that have been on the market of over a year with zero interest. I can easily count 30 of these houses for sale on a short walk, big beautiful empty family homes.

Some areas I have to frequent round here are so poor I make a special effort to dress down and drive an old shit car otherwise I know I would be a target. What I see is totally at odds with what the BBC/media tell me. Buy a house? some people here are struggling to buy food.

HOLA4416

Yup, people just don't realize that especially when they are being brainwashed by the bbc telling them prices are going up etc etc. There are no Chinese investors in Yorkshire just a bunch of shit houses owned by old people waiting on there boomer payout which isn't coming because the average wage here is 20k

lol +1.

But this house, street, village, town, city, county is special! Prices never fall here!

Says every boomer.

HOLA4417

I can easily count 30 of these houses for sale on a short walk, big beautiful empty family homes.

Oh god, it's enough to make you weep!

This is the kind of crazy that the UK housing market is made of.... we have a crisis stoked by greed and delusion.

HOLA4418

Yup a nice mixture too, bungalows with big gardens or big Victorian, lots of space for kids to run about and play not the shit non gardens of a new build. I actually think its important to have a garden big enough for kids to run around in. No families in these houses of course just boomers or really old folk, the garden is kept nice but you can tell on some of them maintenance is a struggle. These houses should be teeming with young families instead the neighborhoods are dead quiet. meanwhile all the kids are shoved into shit tiny terraces or terrible new builds or flats, a lot play in the road because there is no other space.

It ******s me right off, it really does.

BTW I Was offered a mortgage big enough and affordability isn't an issue for me but I am refusing to play. If I have to I will work/save/rent till I am dead.

HOLA4419

seen the same on a car recently

When I was first looking, at the end of March, the price was 47950, changed to 46950 "fixed price" on 27 April

I phoned to ask what fixed price really meant and was told 'we won't let it go for less than that, but we will give you a great trade in on your old one'

I advised that I had no trade in and that I was ready to buy the car, but not at that price

We won't take a penny less sir, there is no point in you even making a lower offer, it will attract a lot of interest at this price

OK, I bid you good day

still for sale

now, it might sell this very afternoon and the dealer would have been right to hold out

but if it doesn't, how long is the price fixed for I wonder

HOLA4420

Buyers always like to make an offer, makes them feel they have some sort of power in the transaction...... Every property has a fixed price, that is why some can be on the market for years.......nobody would pay the price they are asking.....nobody would pay the price they have not had the cheek to ask.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I have a related question. What is the deal with POA? Why do they do it? Especially now that you can see the price on Zoopla by looking at the mortgage calculator.

At a guess as never been involved with the EA business.......by enquiring what the price is means showing an interest, which can lead onto offering alternatives,,,,estate agents I would imagine at the moment have a lack of viable buyers..... buyers that are ready, willing and able to buy..... a seller does not want to advertise price for some reason......a few showing interest could encourage bidding with each other? ;)

HOLA4423

Actually I take my statement back, houses are clearly not worth what some in the housing pyramid gifted thousands in untaxed unearned equity in London who moves to the shires is willing to pay.

1 person willing to pay 100 quid for something when everyone else thinks it's worth 50 is not setting the price, they are showing how stupid they are.

low volume housing bubble backed by sub prime lending is skewing prices. collapse is inevitable.