House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Cruel And Unusal Passenger Transporation

South West Trains seem to be having some issues lately.

Waterloo_Josh_Russ_3286239b.jpg

I used to work in London. Travelled in on the Central Line. And it wasn't exactly rare for the service to be completely knackered to the point where trains would only run as far as Leytonstone, Zone 3 (requiring you to change for one into London) which was more full of people on the platform than a pomegranate is full of pips.

I'd get on a train going the other way and go back home and ring my employer to say that I'd try again later, else there was no way I could get in. On one heroic occasion frustrated by the strikes I did drive in, arrived around 11, had to move the car after 2 hours due to the limit on the parking bays, and then left around 2:45 to go home as I wasn't going to get stuck in the rush hour.

"If you will base yourselves in Central London with limited means of getting in and out.." - of course, I didn't have to work in Central London. So after a few years, I didn't.

Looking at those pictures, I really cannot comprehend why people endure that. And on top of that, it's horrifically expensive. And on top of that, the car park at the station is horrifically expensive. What are people doing with their lives..

Your heroic occasion reminds me of people heroically coming in through the snow.

Hours to get in, swap endurance stories with everybody else, then turn around and go home.

I told my lot not to even try but to work at home, I was employing them to do their jobs not to channel Shackleton and think that meant they were working.

Just put at least as many seats in the departure lounge as there are seats on the plane, you idiots. How hard can that be?

there are.

They are in the restaurants and bars.

there are.

They are in the restaurants and bars.

Correct. Why would you sit in the departure lounge anyway?

Even if you are not flying business or first, getting in to one of the membership lounges (names escape me for now) are about 15 pounds - about the cost of 2 coffees!

The idea that there should be anything pleasant and comfortable about travelling is very out of date. Join the modern world where it exists to cram as many in and kick them somewhere else (which if you're lucky may be where you want to get to).

Looking at those pictures, I really cannot comprehend why people endure that. And on top of that, it's horrifically expensive. And on top of that, the car park at the station is horrifically expensive. What are people doing with their lives..

It's not so bad if you live near a station, leave early, come home early. The best part of my week is the commute, listening to music or a podcast uninterrupted, and a nice walk along the south bank is lovely on a sunny day. I only have to do it once or twice a week, but I enjoy it.

It's not so bad if you live near a station, leave early, come home early. The best part of my week is the commute, listening to music or a podcast uninterrupted, and a nice walk along the south bank is lovely on a sunny day. I only have to do it once or twice a week, but I enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to doing that sometimes after I move. The stations aren't that conveniently placed but it's a fairly pleasant 20 minute walk along the canal at the home end and there's probably a bus at the work one. Just hope (without much hope, since there's been talk of it) that it won't get "improved" with crap like electrification, to make the journey more rushed and less pleasant.

South West Trains seem to be having some issues lately.

Waterloo_Josh_Russ_3286239b.jpg

I used to work in London. Travelled in on the Central Line. And it wasn't exactly rare for the service to be completely knackered to the point where trains would only run as far as Leytonstone, Zone 3 (requiring you to change for one into London) which was more full of people on the platform than a pomegranate is full of pips.

I'd get on a train going the other way and go back home and ring my employer to say that I'd try again later, else there was no way I could get in. On one heroic occasion frustrated by the strikes I did drive in, arrived around 11, had to move the car after 2 hours due to the limit on the parking bays, and then left around 2:45 to go home as I wasn't going to get stuck in the rush hour.

"If you will base yourselves in Central London with limited means of getting in and out.." - of course, I didn't have to work in Central London. So after a few years, I didn't.

In my personal experience of commuting daily to Central London from the Isle of Wight, building up to having a stroke. ?

I used to get through so many books. I've barely read a book since I left working there.

I used to get through so many books. I've barely read a book since I left working there.

I often wish Kindle had been invented when I was commuting. I had to carry at least two books daily.

I'll read if it's dark but I prefer just to sit back and watch the world go by (although I'm more and more likely to see something that pisses me off doing that).

and on top of that , unless you are a city trader it does not even pay much more for the privilege

If you add up the time spent travelling to and from work the figures soon become quite scary. I had already spent in excess of a year of my life commuting by the time I had reached my fortieth birthday. It used to be bearable when you could get a seat but now many people have to stand for anything up to a couple of hours travelling to and from work. It is not helped by the fact the transport companies treat their customers worse than cattle on the way to the abbatoir. Fortunately I only have a three stop 15 minute rail journey now but Southern Railways and Network Rail have been doing their best recently to stretch it out to an hour plus

I used to snooze, too.

Edit to say: I have no idea how I managed to do the commute day after day for seven years.

I strap mysefl to a motorcycle and then nod off!

There are better rules and regulations when transporting cattle than there are for people.....always remember the times when pushed on to a train from behind into an already packed out carriage.....was only trying to get to work at a great expense....treated worse than cattle, and had to pay a high price to be treated worse than cattle. ;)

There are better rules and regulations when transporting cattle than there are for people.....always remember the times when pushed on to a train from behind into an already packed out carriage.....was only trying to get to work at a great expense....treated worse than cattle, and had to pay a high price to be treated worse than cattle. ;)

I think you'll find cattle pay a higher price.