House Price Crash Forum

Norway Switching Off Fm Radio In 2017

HOLA441

I read about ten years ago that our FM would be turned off by IIRC 2013 but no chance at the moment. I like my DAB radio and the listen again service but my radio listening is 90%+ on FM and I seem to be in widespread company. I can't see ours being turned off even in ten years; unlike TVs FM radios are so cheap that we won't happily buy a £20 box to convert, it would just mean throwing them away.

http://gizmodo.com/norway-will-be-the-first-country-to-turn-off-fm-radio-i-1698797593

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I quite like the slow TV idea. People could do with spending a lot more time sitting back and watching the world go by (probably why one of the few times I was happy in recent years was on a train slowly meandering up to Inverness, although a cheap first class ticket and free beer certainly helped).

HOLA448

Germany has decided NOT to switch off FM radio! It's good quality, and it's stereo, for those of you with more than one ear!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

According to a press release by Norwegian Local Radio Association, over 200 local FM radio stations will not be affected and will receive five year license extensions at no fee.

The release also points out that according to the Norwegian Government Statistical Bureau DAB listening is only 19% on a daily basis.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2015/04/21/is-the-norway-switch-off-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-fm-radio/2/

Its a similar situation to the UK, they are only contemplating moving the BBC stations, but I don't think they will go through with it unless they are sure most of the audience will follow them. It is a bit of a risk, people might stop listening to FM and start streaming internet radio instead - if that happens goodbye BBC monopoly.

HOLA4418

They managed it with TV! Are radio listeners more stubborn? In which case why do they care about keeping them?

According to a press release by Norwegian Local Radio Association, over 200 local FM radio stations will not be affected and will receive five year license extensions at no fee.

The release also points out that according to the Norwegian Government Statistical Bureau DAB listening is only 19% on a daily basis.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2015/04/21/is-the-norway-switch-off-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-fm-radio/2/

Its a similar situation to the UK, they are only contemplating moving the BBC stations, but I don't think they will go through with it unless they are sure most of the audience will follow them. It is a bit of a risk, people might stop listening to FM and start streaming internet radio instead - if that happens goodbye BBC monopoly.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Bird box camera update.......10 blue tit eggs, two hatched yesterday.....still got ~20 days of fascinating natural entertainment left. ;)

I love "smashing tits!" Big up to the bird box! :D

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The cynic in me thinks this will all be about what the advertisers want.

The thing thats missing from both FM and DAB is accurate information about who listens to what so they can tailor adverts down to the individual listener.

Ever think its strange that just about every website has advertising thats customised to your viewing history, but the websites themselves never are.

So I expect that both FM and DAB will be thrown overboard and replaced with some form of internet streaming, just means we will all end up paying for the extra bandwidth.

HOLA4423

Four little tits now, all very hungry keeping mum busy, but doing well. ;)

I didn't know you were twins!

Archived