House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Wacky Soviet Architecture

That looks like Corby, or Nowa Huta, or Eisenhuttenstadt, or maybe my favourite Magnitogorsk!

I think the soviet's must have shot all the landscapers or something...there seems a severe deficit of trees in urban areas.

Typical street in Moscow....not like its too narrow to make into a nice tree lined avenue.

191366576.jpg

You have that big ugly thing they built in the centre of Warsaw - apparently a gift from Stalin on his birthday or something like that.

I know it would cost a fortune to knock it down and replace it but, boy, it is so depressingly ugly to look at and dominates the Warsaw skyline that you think it would be an anti-depression boost to just blast it.

I think the soviet's must have shot all the landscapers or something...there seems a severe deficit of trees in urban areas.

Typical street in Moscow....not like its too narrow to make into a nice tree lined avenue.

191366576.jpg

moscow is sodding dire for traffic,makes london look like paradise

I love a bit of Brutalism. I still decry the cladding of Eros House which turned if into just a conventional eyesore:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eros+house&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=r19JVYOUDMjkaIzogLgJ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1#imgrc=_

Honestly, none of those soviet buildings look bad compared to the surviving 60s tower blocks round here? There are plenty, believe me.

Staple Tye shopping centre, Harlow New Town, Essex.

About half a mile from where I grew up.

The shopping centre was demolished years ago, but a few pictures survive.

537639193_792b659d98_z.jpg?zz=1

StapleTyeShoppingCenter2.jpg

8640.jpg