House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crashmonitor

Estate Agent Jailed For Spending Clients' Letting Deposits

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/news_events/news-updates/2015/april/news_items/derbyshire_estate_agent_jailed_for_mishandling_clients_funds.asp

An earlier article from the Matlock Mercury with photo (she was actually sentenced last week)...

http://www.matlockmercury.co.uk/news/local/matlock-estate-agent-admits-shame-1-6783372

A bit of a personal connection, because she sold a house of mine back in 2005. She was an upmarket estate agent based in Bakewell and very personable and posh. Came as quite a bit of a surprise locally.

Edited by crashmonitor

Apparently she didn't pay deposits into the government's Deposit Protection Scheme etc.

Mind you if the government gets strapped for cash then who knows what might happen with that scheme's cash. They can always print some up of course.

Edited by billybong

I wasn't expecting it to be that much.

In total, the value of the deposits registered for all three companies was £808,294 but the amount of deposits that were either cancelled or were awaiting payment by the service totalled £548,727.

10 months inside + a 6 year company director ban. Anyway it's only dead-money-renters money. Let's get back to having emotional breakdowns for those choosing to buy 'lack of education about debt' / media made them buy / parents told them it could . EB into the little-HPC 2008-2009 for those who overpaid. EBs for years as priced up 30%-80%. EB for those buying at these prices today. EBs all round into next reflation / and-or into and throughout any next hpc.

I know the area where she lived very well. Spital is not posh. Cant have cost much to keep up with the Joneses.

See link below

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=STREET^366928&searchLocation=Valley+Road&referrer=listChangeCriteria&index=25

I'm gonna start a completely baseless rumour she was feeding a coke habit, most of Chesterfield is.

I know the area where she lived very well. Spital is not posh. Cant have cost much to keep up with the Joneses.

See link below

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detail.html?country=england&locationIdentifier=STREET^366928&searchLocation=Valley+Road&referrer=listChangeCriteria&index=25

I'm gonna start a completely baseless rumour she was feeding a coke habit, most of Chesterfield is.

Absolutely right, it isn't. She may be living in reduced circumstances now.

Absolutely right, it isn't. She may be living in reduced circumstances now.

a court date of 10 September 2015 was set for Proceeds of Crime Act proceedings.

Please be kind enough to report on those proceedings too.

Now, just who is going to pay the tenants the 3 x deposits they are entitled too when it isnt done according to law?

See link below

Looks a bit plump for that

a court date of 10 September 2015 was set for Proceeds of Crime Act proceedings.

Now, just who is going to pay the tenants the 3 x deposits they are entitled too when it isnt done according to law?

Well, if she can get one adjournment for the POCA hearing, then she will be out and, having no licence to serve, can legally move abroad to avoid POCA reimbursement/penalty, as POCA is a civil matter, albeit one with a incarceration default for non-payment.

So, if she wanted, there is nothing to report on in September..

Very good.

I used to be able to tell when I was driving past Chesterfield just by the smell of the coking works.

My friend used to have a house on the hillside facing the Wingerworth coking plant off the A61 to Alfreton, and indeed the air was filled with black acrid smoke . Coking plant now demolished....Chesterfield not up and coming but may be better than it used to be.

Meanwhile Bakewell is posh where Beechwood had one of its offices, Matlock to a lesser extent.

Edited by crashmonitor

So she's caught out, gets to stay out of prison in return for a promise to pay people back, actually gets the money needed to mostly do that but then decides to give it to her husband who spends half of it on a car? She's not just a crook, she's f*cking delusional.

So she's caught out, gets to stay out of prison in return for a promise to pay people back, actually gets the money needed to mostly do that but then decides to give it to her husband who spends half of it on a car? She's not just a crook, she's f*cking delusional.

And to think our taxes and children's futures have been thrown at their industry to keep it going.

The apparent use of clients' funds to buy a £25,000 jaguar during the period of atonement is indeed the most surprising bit of the story, mentioned here in the Star...

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/jailed-estate-agent-helen-gregory-creditors-25k-spent-on-s*****y-jaguar-1-7237193

Jail or not, this greedy b**tch should be forced to pay back the money she stole - by any legal means necessary. Liquidate her assets or if she does not have another job, put her onto community service until the debt has been met.

Funny how lettings agents and landlords think the deposit money becomes their property upon a new tenancy. It remains property of the tenant until such time that a landlord can successfully argue a claim to some or all of it.

Funny how this subject has cropped up today. I contacted mydeposits.co.uk to check if my deposit has been protected with them as per tenancy agreement. It hasn't been protected, so I visited my lettings agent to get to the truth.

Despite my tenancy starting on 6th March, the dozy ******s haven't got around to protecting my deposit. Claimed to be 'too busy'. I reminded them that the deposit should have been protected within 30 days of the tenancy and we are now 60 days past this point now. The woman who arranged my tenancy said that she will have to ask 'Steve' to do it (a chap who I have yet to meet). I should probably approach the citizen's advice bureau.

In the meantime, as I have no deposit protected, the Lettings Agent cannot evict me under S21 of the 2004 Housing Act, so I am currently enjoying a similar tenancy as they do in Germany. I wonder if I should stop paying the rent?!! :ph34r:

until quite recently all the LL needed to do was place the money in a scheme the day before the hearing and all was forgiven (I suspect the tenant didn't even get their costs of bringing the claim refunded), lots of stress for the tenant (six weeks rent to fight for) but the LL could try it on with no penalty whatsoever.

But the letting agent took the money. LL 's would still have to return the tenants deposits whether through court or not.

I think landlords expect that the deposit is a gift to them for their kindness of letting YOU live in their home(s). In ye old times, I guess that is what happened. Oh great Lord of the land, I bow to your greatness, for I am just a peasant.

A005201.jpg

The wealthy landlord and his wife were often aspirational figures to their tenants, by Angus McBride

From http://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/27277/prosperity-and-social-mobility-among-tenant-farmers-and-labourers-in-c15-england/

Edited by 200p

Another letting agent and missing money.

Have to hope the landlords still remain legally responsible for tenants' deposits.

Letting agent banned after nearly £600,000 goes missing
June 26, 2015

A letting agent has been banned from being a director for ten years after almost £600,000 of clients’ money in the form of tenants’ deposits and rental payments vanished. The firm was wound up when it could not pay its debts.

Peter Phillip Leonard, director of Direct Residential Lettings in Hove, Sussex, has been disqualified from acting as a director for ten years for failing to make sure that tenant deposits and rent payments collected in by the company were properly protected.

Leonard, 58, has given a disqualification undertaking, which will prevent him from becoming involved in the promotion, formation or management of a company until 2025.

Direct Residential Lettings (Direct) was incorporated in January 1997 and traded a letting agency in Hove. Leonard became a director of Direct in February 2007 when he jointly purchased the company.

The company was placed into compulsory liquidation on September 30, 2013, on the petition of Leonard, as the company was no longer able to pay its debts.

...As a consequence of Leonard’s actions, Direct owes at least £577,865 in respect of missing tenancy deposits and rent payments collected in and not paid over to landlords.

in full http://www.propertyindustryeye.com/letting-agent-banned-after-nearly-600000-goes-missing/

other https://www.gov.uk/government/news/director-of-hove-letting-agency-disqualified-for-10-years-after-failing-to-protect-customer-money

Just a reminder of this.