House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

British Mothers Have 1-In-7000 Chance Of Dying In Childbirth... Nearly Three Times Those In Poland

Mothers in the UK are far more likely to die in pregnancy or childbirth than those in Poland, according to a new study.

Women in the UK face a 1-in-6,900 risk of maternal death over their lifetime, far greater than countries including Poland (19,800) and Belarus (45,200), the Save the Children report says.

The charity's annual State of the World's Mothers report placed the UK in 24th place globally in the best places to be a mother, meaning it is the third year in a row the country has failed to make the top 10.

It is a slight improvement on 2014, however, when it was 26th in the rankings.

Norway, Finland and Iceland were in first, second and third place respectively.

The UK, which has not made the top 10 since 2012, was also behind countries including Spain, Slovenia, Israel and Greece.

The United States languished even further behind in 33rd place, while Somalia remained last for the second year running with all but two of the 11 bottom-ranked countries in the world in West and Central Africa.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/british-mothers-have-1in7000-chance-of-dying-in-childbirth-nearly-three-times-those-in-poland-10224824.html

So much for the great health service provided by the NHS. :rolleyes:

Only consolation is that the US is even worse...

You're very quick to blame the NHS - had you thought there may be demographic reasons for the dramatic increase in births? That the increase has not been matched by an increase in the provision of services. This is a government/funding issue, and therefore an election issue. :rolleyes:

Hmm so private health insurance doesn't help.

What is the primary cause - is it pre-eclampsia? Perhaps increasing western obesity might be a factor, although the cause of pre-eclampsia is unknown according to nhs.uk.

You're very quick to blame the NHS - had you thought there may be demographic reasons for the dramatic increase in births? That the increase has not been matched by an increase in the provision of services. This is a government/funding issue, and therefore an election issue. :rolleyes:

Is the average age of women at child birth relevant?

From the description, the frequency a woman gets pregnant would affect the stats.

And I doubt Polish pregnancies have such a high abortion rate, which could be very significant.

I think the numbers are due to the wierd demographic of UK mums: old mums and fat, young mums.

There's been a load of med stats released today. Different outlets and putting different spins on the numbers.

The BBC was harping about the UK having equality across incomes for access to health care i.e. a poor person can get the same care as a rich person. The fact that that the care is random, inconsistent in qualiyy and has a worst outcome than countries that spend half the amount does not not come into it.

From the description, the frequency a woman gets pregnant would affect the stats.

And I doubt Polish pregnancies have such a high abortion rate, which could be very significant.

indeed, hadn't thought of that, probably larger families reduce the risk

I think the numbers are due to the wierd demographic of UK mums: old mums and fat, young mums.

When we went on the maternity ward visit prior to having our first child, more than half the mums were vastly overweight and took several fag breaks during the 90 minute visit.

Maybe it is the fault of the NHS but only in the sense that it has ushered in a cultural belief that you don't need to help yourself, but that your welfare is someone else's responsibility.

Is the average age of women at child birth relevant?

I would have said very much so, depends if the stats take that in to account (I doubt it). The average age in the UK for first time mothers is 29 and in Poland it's 26. However I would suspect that the spread is far greater in the UK, i.e. a fair portion of younger mothers and also much older mothers. I know my girlfriends group of friends are all having their first child in their late 30's, pretty much every single one of them has had serious issues with the pregnancy along the way.

When we went on the maternity ward visit prior to having our first child, more than half the mums were vastly overweight and took several fag breaks during the 90 minute visit.

Maybe it is the fault of the NHS but only in the sense that it has ushered in a cultural belief that you don't need to help yourself, but that your welfare is someone else's responsibility.

The belief that you don't need to help yourself and that the great, amorphous, government/institutions/NHS agglomeration, known as 'them', is responsible for taking care of your every need and whim is a sad side-effect of the welfare state. It has been alive and gathering force since 1947. It was certainly alive and well in the Northeast of England - which is where I first encountered it - in the late 1970's.

The belief that you don't need to help yourself and that the great, amorphous, government/institutions/NHS agglomeration, known as 'them', is responsible for taking care of your every need and whim is a sad side-effect of the welfare state. It has been alive and gathering force since 1947. It was certainly alive and well in the Northeast of England - which is where I first encountered it - in the late 1970's.

Always someone else responsible, that's the way it is and becoming even more so. People keep trying to tell me that change is good and I shouldn't look at the future with no enthusiasm whatsoever, idiots.

What's the cost of translation services in the midwifery section?

What nationality are the ladies dying in childbirth?
What % have gone to the antenatal care?

Yep. I get pretty annoyed with that attitude - coming from north North Yorkshire.

The level of 'the government must do something!' I get in Middlesbrough is off the scale.

Its pretty embarassing.

Have some ongoing arguments on FB at the moment. Mainly pointing out that in 13 years of a Labour government the NE has got worse and all the ex-MP have some how vanished, never to be seen again in the region.

Yes, I come from the ROI but went to school in NI in the 50s and 60s. No welfaer stae in the south then but you could see the effects in the North. Everything was provide or should be provide by them.

Have some ongoing arguments on FB at the moment. Mainly pointing out that in 13 years of a Labour government the NE has got worse and all the ex-MP have some how vanished, never to be seen again in the region.

Some places have got richer, some have got poorer, all have got worse and there's no sign whatsoever of that trend not continuing.

Some places have got richer, some have got poorer, all have got worse and there's no sign whatsoever of that trend not continuing.

Not sure on the richer. Some places have got a bit better. Some have got much, much worse.

To be honest, it makes me sad. Its like having a region of self-destructing alcoholic aunts, blaming everything but themselves.

Give them a load of shiny new tat and crappy new building and make everyone rush around like headless chickens, then it'll all get better. Apparently.

I go off-topic yet again due to being pissed off with the world, there's a surprise. I really need to find a suitable volcano for my secret lair soon in order to get my world domination plans going.

Yep. I get pretty annoyed with that attitude - coming from north North Yorkshire.

The level of 'the government must do something!' I get in Middlesbrough is off the scale.

Its pretty embarassing.

That's the saddest thing: the turkeys all vote for Christmas.

Give them a load of shiny new tat and crappy new building and make everyone rush around like headless chickens, then it'll all get better. Apparently.

I go off-topic yet again due to being pissed off with the world, there's a surprise. I really need to find a suitable volcano for my secret lair soon in order to get my world domination plans going.

Can I volunteer??

I think this is partly to do with no longer allocating a midwife responsible to each mother to see them through the birth......a mum can have so many different members of staff, different shifts, if you happen to be in hospital at a time when a few babies happen to be being born there is sometimes not enough staff to deal with the extra work.....down to individual unaccountability.......too many chefs spoil the broth. ;)

Can I volunteer?

I need somebody more evil than you! ^_^