House Price Crash Forum
crashmonitor

Heads You Lose Tails You Lose..the General Election Business View.

Amazed really that the Brexit vote isn't one of Clegg's red lines. Reaffirmed today with John Humphrys on the Today programme that a Conlib coalition would indeed lead to a Brexit vote and two years of uncertainty for business.

So suddenly a Labour majority is perhaps the only result that would suit the Business community...The one result which aint going to happen with only a 30% share of the vote in the polls.

So either Brexit destabilising Uk plc or Labour propped up by the lunatics that think a doubling of national debt is austerity...Labour only go along with the austerity thing to win votes...their actual poilices are a bit more costed and sensible than the rhetoric.

I guess it's heads the HPCer's win tail's they win..because the result looks to be destabilising to the status quo come what may.

Labour propped up by the lunatics that think a doubling of national debt is austerity..

I'm not sure a Lab/Con coalition is on the cards - do you know something we don't?

I'm not sure a Lab/Con coalition is on the cards - do you know something we don't?

Sure the Tories presided over the doubling.....clearly not enough for the SNP and Greens now unleashed from their strait jackets and who hope to influence a left wing nut job over the next five years. Possibly unkind to the SNP because bankrupting UK plc would clearly be good for their objectives. F88k knows what the excuse is for the Greens.

The one result that would be good for business, though may be not for housepricecrashers, would be the stability of a Labour majority since the Libcon are now determined to go down the Brexit route.

Edited by crashmonitor

Joking aside a grand lab/con coalition might not be the worst outcome, although doubtful it would happen. Each might reign in some of the stupidity of the other. Neither of the current likely prospects is wholly appealing, to put it mildly.

Joking aside a grand lab/con coalition might not be the worst outcome, although doubtful it would happen. Each might reign in some of the stupidity of the other. Neither of the current likely prospects is wholly appealing, to put it mildly.

I agree a Government of National Unity...though the Scots might not think so. Indeed Labour with their 2.5 billion costed NHS plan (to the Tories uncosted 8 billion plan, triple lock on VAT, tax and national insurance and main residence tax free inheritance) suddenly looks like the least lunatic of the two. Which is why a Labour majority wouldn't be too bad imo.

Not going to happen, so instability come what may now that Libs will buy a seat in government with a Brexit vote.

Edited by crashmonitor

Plus, Ed has the cold, empty eyes of a psycho. I can live in hope that he would knife Cameron during a disagreement.

Ed-Miliband-stare.jpg

I've been thinking for a while that it would also allow them both to let the crash happen and blame each other for causing it in the first place. 2-3 years of HPC followed by another 1-2 years of each party bigging themselves up to try to go it alone in the next term, with the lanced boil economy finally freed from the restrictions of forever HPI.

It'll never happen, but it'd be fun to watch.

All depends on what the SNP get, they could force Lab/Con to govern in a national unity govt.

I've been thinking for a while that it would also allow them both to let the crash happen and blame each other for causing it in the first place.

Exactly. It would be quite refreshing to have a govt which wasn't all about political point scoring and stupid bribes to the electorate. Just get in there, agree on what needs to be done and let it happen.

With the added bonus of making Clegg & co a total irrelevance.

Also I'd wager there'd be a significant number of less right-wing tories that wouldn't mind being "stopped" from holding the referendum (and a few other things). And if the tories were to gain a very slim majority somehow, they could easily be held to ransom by their own loony right. For me, that would be the worst possible outcome.

A Tory / Lab coalition sounds good to me.

Indeed it will be seen as the last straw.....anti-democratic and locking the Scots out. Independence vote post 2016 for sure.

It's a bit like whether you would prefer a broom handle, or mop handle, kicked up your back passage. I'm topping up my sleep between now and Thursday, so I can see The Moron loose yet again.

I'm interested in the outcome and will be staying up. But for the first time during the election, i am undecided about voting at all....as you say what's the point of voting for chaos either way.

Cameron and Miliband in a coalition press conference in the Downing Street garden going all lovey dovey is going to be something to look forward to.

Edited by billybong

after the election surely they will get back to cuts? and reduced spending

at least for the first 2-3 years. Combined with London's bubble bursting can see some nice sentiment changes. Lets see how far the drops go this time.

I agree a Government of National Unity...though the Scots might not think so. Indeed Labour with their 2.5 billion costed NHS plan (to the Tories uncosted 8 billion plan, triple lock on VAT, tax and national insurance and main residence tax free inheritance) suddenly looks like the least lunatic of the two. Which is why a Labour majority wouldn't be too bad imo.

Not going to happen, so instability come what may now that Libs will buy a seat in government with a Brexit vote.

As they said on Bloomberg a short while ago, if the SNP get the votes to send a large contingent to Westminster and the big parties try not to deal with them, the day Scotland votes for independence gets closer. The Puppet Masters don`t seem to like the SNP, I think I could end up voting for them.....

Ah, I see you already covered that up-thread, it is going to be chaos I hope, that is one way we will get some quick movement towards a HPC. The Labour woman on Bloomberg looked really spooked when they kept trying to talk about the SNP TBH.

Edited by dances with sheeple

The best way for English voters to de-rail the SNP is to vote UKIP, because they are the only party who want to deal with the EZ question right now, before we get down to any other business. The SNP are good at bashing Labour, and the Torrrrries are like shooting fish in a barrel because large swathes of Scotland hate them, but there are many people in Scotland who want to remain in the UK. UKIP sends the right message in England IMO.

Seeing that so many forumites are going to be staying up on election night, shall we have a grand topic starting as soon as the polls close?

Not sure BREXIT would be such a bad thing for business. The EU seems to discourage free market trading with the rest of the world, &, since we are a net (by some margin I believe) importer from Europe they would be reluctant to suddenly stop trading with us.

Is it possible that the businesses who are so worried are just concerned that they might be jolted out of their comfortable rut?

Not sure BREXIT would be such a bad thing for business. The EU seems to discourage free market trading with the rest of the world, &, since we are a net (by some margin I believe) importer from Europe they would be reluctant to suddenly stop trading with us.

Is it possible that the businesses who are so worried are just concerned that they might be jolted out of their comfortable rut?

215 billions according to this.....but then the Germans would say that wouldn't they. Seems a bit of a risk to me. For some hpcers, though, I can see some mega black swan thing is just what the Doctor ordered. I'm guessing Sterling would be hit and the UK bond market would go into meltdown..should be good for a point or two on interest rates too.

http://rt.com/uk/253469-brexit-cost-britain-eu/

Edited by crashmonitor

If Labour refuse to do a deal with the SNP (which will be a real test of their integrity), then we might end up with a minority Labour government pulling in support on a case-by-case basis. You can imagine the Tories voting with Labour on certain issues where the SNP would not (for example, on Trident, constitutional reform, some austerity measures, etc). The real test would be whether Labour could get a Queen's speech through parliament -- the unionist Tories might support them if the only alternative was a load of horrific sops to the SNP.

All that said, I expect the Tories to win the most seats and therefore have the "first move"... but I think it's unlikely they will be able to form a majority, so potentially the mantle will pass to Labour (and the scenarios above) quite quickly. The real brinkmanship comes from whether the Tories would deliberately let the SNP through the door! Perhaps they think this will lead to a vote of no confidence, and a new general election where they can romp home (fears about the SNP having been proven).

It is game theory-tastic -- someone call Yanis Varoufakis :)

Just picked this up, Sorrell from last March on the lose lose theme.

Doesn't seem to be causing too much concern on the markets, seems to be a bit of bravado and taking any sell off to the wire. I think they may be taking the ignoring noise thing a bit too far...a bit like those who bought on the bad news on 9/11 on the basis that you always buy on bad news.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/media/article4376873.ece

Edited by crashmonitor