House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longgone

Why Do Nutters Pay £800 For A Samsung Smartphone ?

That Elephone does look quite decent for the money. Like an overgrown iPhone 4.

However that isn't the true price, just a promotion to get their name out there.

http://www.elephone.hk/readNews/3138.html

ELE codes are not sent out yet, that's why you didn't get them in your emails. After you made the reservation for limited flash sale, you're qualified for the event on 11 May. The reservation is only for the qualification. People who didn't make reservation aren't able to snatch P7000 on 11 May. On the day, input your email and choose the online shop you chose, you might get the ELE code( 159.99 USD coupon code). If you snatch earlier, you have more chances to get one code.

Also it looks like they've been caught swapping the specs for cheaper components in the past:

http://www.elephone.hk/readnews/3137.html

Great news. All of Pioneers will pack Sony imx 214 image sensors. We've received a lot of disappointed feedbacks from the customers about the partial replacement of the cameras during the last couple days. Eventhough, imx 214 sensors are in short supply on the market, lots of smartphone makers have the same problem. However, in order to satisfy our customers, we tried to use every possible resources to purchase imx 214 sensors. And the hard work paid off. We snatch the sensors at a higher price, but the smartphone's price is the same as we promised.

I have been looking at phones a fair bit htis past fortnight as I need a new phone. A couple of observations:

1. Smartphones are getting more expensive - the prices are ridiculous.

2. The point of Android was that it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Apple - paying the same, or more, for an Android phone just beggars disbelief.

I had been keeping an eye on the LG G3 on Amazon in Germany which had been dropping nicely over the past fortnight... then someone stuck the price on hotukdeals and Amazon bumped the price up about 100 Euros within 24 hours.

I mention the LG G3 as it was LG's flagship phone about 11 months ago - you could buy it for about £500 and then have to pay your monthly phone costs on top.

Less than 12 months later O2 will offer you just £130 trade-in.

I really want a phone with a decent camera but, boy, I am becoming more inclined to get the moto G for about £100 and forgetting about the camera side of things.

3. There are so many faults with these 'premier' phones. Issues around cases cracking or cameras not focusing or batteries draining - which appears impossible to get the various manufacturers to admit there is a problem. Obviously they do not wish an expensive recall of product.

I have read online of people getting a brand new phone, for which they have paid around £600, only to find the camera does not work. They then have to go through the stress and hassle of getting the company to admit there is a problem. Some have returned their phones to the manufacturer only to have their brand new phone returned with scratches or they have received a refurbished phone that once belonged to someone else.

It is crazy.

The phone companies are clearly now stuck in a cycle of bringing out new phones every 12 months that they, IMPO, don't have time to make sure that these things work properly. I think they rely on lots of tame reviews from the various review sites that they send freebie testing models out to.

To answer your question - it is madness.

Oh, and don't get me started on the non-removable batteries in these phones now - I suspect most of the batteries will be knackered within 2 years and then what are you going to do with your £600 to £800 phone? Geesh.

I have been looking at phones a fair bit htis past fortnight as I need a new phone. A couple of observations:

1. Smartphones are getting more expensive - the prices are ridiculous.

2. The point of Android was that it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to Apple - paying the same, or more, for an Android phone just beggars disbelief.

I had been keeping an eye on the LG G3 on Amazon in Germany which had been dropping nicely over the past fortnight... then someone stuck the price on hotukdeals and Amazon bumped the price up about 100 Euros within 24 hours.

I mention the LG G3 as it was LG's flagship phone about 11 months ago - you could buy it for about £500 and then have to pay your monthly phone costs on top.

Less than 12 months later O2 will offer you just £130 trade-in.

I really want a phone with a decent camera but, boy, I am becoming more inclined to get the moto G for about £100 and forgetting about the camera side of things.

3. There are so many faults with these 'premier' phones. Issues around cases cracking or cameras not focusing or batteries draining - which appears impossible to get the various manufacturers to admit there is a problem. Obviously they do not wish an expensive recall of product.

I have read online of people getting a brand new phone, for which they have paid around £600, only to find the camera does not work. They then have to go through the stress and hassle of getting the company to admit there is a problem. Some have returned their phones to the manufacturer only to have their brand new phone returned with scratches or they have received a refurbished phone that once belonged to someone else.

It is crazy.

The phone companies are clearly now stuck in a cycle of bringing out new phones every 12 months that they, IMPO, don't have time to make sure that these things work properly. I think they rely on lots of tame reviews from the various review sites that they send freebie testing models out to.

To answer your question - it is madness.

Oh, and don't get me started on the non-removable batteries in these phones now - I suspect most of the batteries will be knackered within 2 years and then what are you going to do with your £600 to £800 phone? Geesh.

better order one then :lol:

http://gearbestcoupons.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/elephone-p7000-64bit-4g-lte-55inch-fhd.html

i have a moto g , it is good for for the money but i fancy a 4g unit

One interesting thing I read today is that Microsoft are doing a trial with Xiaomi in China to let people install Windows Phone on their Android flagship phone. They might try to roll it out further and let people change the OS on their existing Android phones.

One interesting thing I read today is that Microsoft are doing a trial with Xiaomi in China to let people install Windows Phone on their Android flagship phone. They might try to roll it out further and let people change the OS on their existing Android phones.

Yep, they are going to allow this globally.

It's early adopter 'tax' and it seems to be the case with anything new that comes out from a technology perspective. Mind you, I can understand the companies doing it as the two directors I work with decided to bin their perfectly good iphone5s phones for brand-spanking new iphone6 phones about a week after Apple announced them. In comparison, I have a £150 iphone5 that I got from ebay on go and pay.

Yep, they are going to allow this globally.

If it works it would be an audacious way to grab more market share. The drawback of Android is that you're dependent on the OEM for updates and unless they decide to port their bloated modifications onto the latest version of Android then you're stuck. Microsoft would be able to say, "If Samsung or LG won't give you Android Lollipop, install Windows instead." It's a brilliant idea.

Yep, I ended up going back to Apple after various Android phones going kaput after about a year, rubbish cameras and odd wrinkles with Android OS . At least Apple's stuff is supposed to work and generally does - just tends to be expensive and sometimes a step or two behind the very latest.

Picked up a faulty iPhone 5 for £100 - and Apple replaced it with a brand new 5s due to a **** up with their courier as part of recall. Got it encased in an industrial strength case. That'll do me until the battery needs replacing.

Picked up a faulty iPhone 5 for £100 - and Apple replaced it with a brand new 5s due to a **** up with their courier as part of recall. Got it encased in an industrial strength case. That'll do me until the battery needs replacing.

Where did you pick it up from?

Where did you pick it up from?

eBay. Look for a faulty iPhone 5 with a non working top button but otherwise good. It's a known fault and Apple will repair, or quite often simply replace the phone. Check their recall notices before forking out though as some recalls have expired in the past.

The geek squad in Leeds quoted me £20 to fit a new battery in my nexus 4

Incidentally why not look at the nexus 5 or nexus 6?

The geek squad in Leeds quoted me £20 to fit a new battery in my nexus 4

Incidentally why not look at the nexus 5 or nexus 6?

The Nexus 6 is a ludicrous price. The 5 had some issues which I can't remember but put me off.

The Nexus 6 is a ludicrous price. The 5 had some issues which I can't remember but put me off.

Ah, fair enough

The geek squad in Leeds quoted me £20 to fit a new battery in my nexus 4Incidentally why not look at the nexus 5 or nexus 6?

I've just put a new battery in my ipad 1. Had it from launch so didn't think that was too bad at all. Battery was about £15 off ebay and old one hadn't deteriorated to the point it was unusable and I got over 3 years of heavy daily use carrying it all around the country before I upgraded and then used it as a glorified sat nav.

Given, I can remember the time when, if you bought the most up to date PC, eighteen months later you'd already have to be peering at system requirements, on software boxes, all in all I've not really got too many complaints about current tech.

What I really can't understand is that I'm typing this on a 6 month old Lenovo laptop, which is solidly made, has a 15" screen, a decent keyboard, and a 2 core / 4 thread Core i3 Haswell processor, which cost me (IIRC) under £300 after cashback. Came with a 500GB HD too though I replaced it with an SSD I had spare as I have no need for lots of storage space on it but do enjoy a bit of speed. The battery seems tiny compared to my previous laptop but it still seems to last several hours, presumably due to the efficiency of the processor and the LED screen backlights.

And yet a top end smartphone is £500+. How does that work?

I must admit that I'm enjoying having a Samsung Note 3 which my vain (and rich) mate who Must Have The Latest Gear flogged to me for £100 when he got an upgrade to a Note 4. But I was still perfectly happy with the S3 which he gave me for free last time he upgraded- and if he hadn't given me that, I'd probably still be happy with the Sony Xperia Arc my brother gave me a couple of years ago when he got a Z1! I basically use my phone for email, whatsapp, and internet browsing; occasionally I use Shazam, the calculator, or Strava, but not very often. Any old phone with a 4"+ screen will do me, anything else is a bonus TBH. I must admit that I've become quite a big fan of Readly (£10 a month for loads and loads of magazines) and it helps to have a 5.5" screen. Why anyone is fussed about having a screen resolution higher than 1920x1080 on a phone screen I cannot fathom- I'm 35 and can still focus to about 15cm in front of my face, and I couldn't possibly discern individual pixels.

The thing with Android is that if you've got a phone which is in any way popular someone will have made a Cyanogen-based rom for it, and so if you've got a PC and a USB cable and can follow some (sometimes fairly convoluted) instructions, you can always be running a reasonably recent version of Android. I only stopped bothering when I got the S3 as it was so good as stock (I still change my launcher and keyboard to the ones I'm used to though). Good luck to Microsoft offering their OS to Android phone owners- why not? I just hope they're good at streamlining the install process, as unlocking bootloaders etc. can be a right faff...

Edit: typos. Laptop keyboard still not as nice to use as my desktop one!

Why anyone would want Android is beyond my comprehension. Last experience of it was about a year ago on three separate devices and it was still years away from being ready for market. Just like a very bad beta version, totally unstable, absolute crap. I find it hard to believe it has transformed itself in such a short time.

Samsung products seem to consist of a few nice quality components hastily and poorly thrown together in a glossy black plastic case with marketing to create a sort of sex-appeal, but I don't think of them as a quality brand, just a fashion one.

So why anyone would want the combination of the two when you could have an iPhone is a mystery. iPhones aren't perfect, but they're as good as it gets, a Windows phone is a decent alternative. Either can be relied upon (mostly) for daily use.

Regarding the nutters, maybe they do it just to prove the economists who think deflation makes people stop buying wrong.

It just struck me that this, plus Amazon now requiring £20 in your basket for free delivery, could be an early sign of the stirrings of consumer demand and ultimately higher real interest rates

Why anyone would want Android is beyond my comprehension. Last experience of it was about a year ago on three separate devices and it was still years away from being ready for market. Just like a very bad beta version, totally unstable, absolute crap. I find it hard to believe it has transformed itself in such a short time.

Samsung products seem to consist of a few nice quality components hastily and poorly thrown together in a glossy black plastic case with marketing to create a sort of sex-appeal, but I don't think of them as a quality brand, just a fashion one.

So why anyone would want the combination of the two when you could have an iPhone is a mystery. iPhones aren't perfect, but they're as good as it gets, a Windows phone is a decent alternative. Either can be relied upon (mostly) for daily use.

I like the flexibility of android, but this does mean it's more evolved then designed, so yeah it's permanently in beta on that basis.

My wife's new windows phone does seem much more coherently designed as an operating system

I like the flexibility of android, but this does mean it's more evolved then designed, so yeah it's permanently in beta on that basis.

My wife's new windows phone does seem much more coherently designed as an operating system

And Windows phones are much cheaper.