House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Amazon Doubles Free Delivery Minimum Spend In Uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32513073

Amazon has doubled the minimum spend UK shoppers must make before they qualify for "free" deliveries.

The online store will now require its customers to spend at least £20 to make use of its "super saver delivery" offer for most purchases.

The facility originally did not have a price barrier when it was introduced in 2009, but a minimum £10 spend was added in 2013.

The latest move comes at a time of historically low UK inflation rates.

It comes a month after the US-based company posted a $57m loss (£36m) for its last quarter.

But one expert suggested the reason was more likely an effort by Amazon to drive more users to a £79-a-year service that covers the next-day delivery of many items, rather than an effort to combat costs.

On reading the headline this was my first thought.

Although it's also a nice way to increase sales, if you are going to have to spend several pound on postage you might as will make it up and buy tat you don't need and get free postage.

Yes, I got my last order in on Thursday, I`ve been spending money on bicycle parts and sleeping bags......all practical stuff.

I notice ebay will under cut Amazon by a few quid even so.

The problem with prime is that loads of stuff you order does not qualify for prime 'free' delivery. You can add several items to a basket and still find one or two that require you pay for postage - which negates the whole concept of the prime 'free' delivery.

I think Amazon are doing this more to compete with Netflix by trying to get more video customers.

i search on amazon, no free delivery, then use that description/part number to find it elsewhere with free delivery.

eg hello kitty playing cards - £2ish+£3 to deliver on amazon - dont want other tat so went and got them on play for £1.99 + free delivery,

thing was, they sourced from exactly the same seller (some toy shop or other) - this was years ago, and no the cards werent for me before you start.

Recently I have bought quite a few different pairs of hiking boots trying to get some that fit well. I must have sent over 6 pairs back ..all on free delivery and also free returns. Im bringing Amazon to its knees.

I notice some sellers are tricky with their pricing though. One cheap pair of Hi Tec I bought were £29. I notice now they have suddenly increased to £70 a pair. They wait until a few positive reviews are showing at the low price then stick the boot in and increase their prices dramatically....pun intended

just take advantage of amazons refund system :lol:

buy more than you need and just return it free , but then i am a tight git

Yes use the their system to your best advantage. I`m sure they are not going to worry about your welfare

Of course when the polis go after their 'evaded' tax, those costs will have to be passed on to the customer.

"I'm from the government, I'm here to help you."

just take advantage of amazons refund system :lol:

buy more than you need and just return it free , but then i am a tight git

If you read the T&C they do reserve the right to back-charge you for postage in that situation, they tend to let it slide but I wouldnt make a habit of it.

It can actually be quite annoying if you buy stuff thats just over the limit and have to send something back, but then incur a postal charge thats more or less equal to the thing you returned.

Surprised it's taken this long, given how much postage costs in this country (Europe too)

I've been told postage is normally cheaper in the states. Is that right?

I recommend blocking your browser to shopping sites to stop yourself buying stuff or you'll never buy a house. If you need something then you have to do this:

1. Put on clothes

2. Travel to the shop

3. Find a parking space. Pay for parking (if necessary)

4. Walk to the shop from the bus stop/train station/parked car

5. Fight queues and smelly people in your way

6. Look for item in shop

7. Unable to purchase item because it is out of stock

8. Deal with bored shop assistant with a hipster beard on £2 an hour, who you've interrupted whilst on his Iphone, who can tell you it can be ordered on the internet

9. Leave shop in disgust, and discover that you don't need the item as it was only for some plastic tat that you can do without.

The car boot sale is much cheaper and less stressful - but buyer beware with anything electrical.