House Price Crash Forum

Water Bill

Fab

HOLA441

Hi all,

Here is my situation. A couple of days before I left on a business trip, my landlord replaceв the taps in the bathroom. Unfortunately, just two hours before I was leaving to the airport the water was off in the whole building. With the new modern taps it was not clear whether I left the tap closed or not. I texted my landlord and asked her to check taps. She promised to do so. After coming back in three weeks, I found the water on. Apparently, my landlady forgot about my message. My estimate is that I can expect a bill ~1000 pounds.

Any suggestions what I could do about it? I am thinking to contact my landlady after I get the bill and discuss with her what to do. May be we could split the bill?

I am not sure if switching the water in the whole building is the argument for the water company to change the bill.

HOLA442
HOLA443

You had a couple of days to familiarise yourself with the tap. I can't see many landlords taking that kind of hit. - at least you didn't leave the plug in and flood the place.

I think the issue is not in taps itself but rather a promise of landlady to close them.

PS Leaving the plug in... why should I?

HOLA444

Water meters, another great idea! Another reason not to buy a new build!:P

Although, I can't quite understand why it was so difficult to work out if the tap was in the off position, they are pretty standard, especially when stripped down to its component parts! What sort of tap was it?

HOLA445

I visit a friend who has modern "retro" taps, one for hot and one for cold. To make the design symmetrical, they turn in opposite directions. Does my head in every time. Still couldn't tell you which one opens backwards.

HOLA446

I visit a friend who has modern "retro" taps, one for hot and one for cold. To make the design symmetrical, they turn in opposite directions. Does my head in every time. Still couldn't tell you which one opens backwards.

Wow, I'm really in the stone age with my knowledge of tap design! I suppose that comes from not owning a house and having to all that decorating lark.:P

HOLA447

Our plumber plumbed the taps on the bath and on the sink unit the opposite way round to each other. The symbols are correct but they are so small as to be meaningless....I know what it feels like to have your head done in.. :) and this is after ten years..!