House Price Crash Forum

Any Hire A Car Gotchas Need To Be Aware Of?

pl1

Could be very nasty. If there is any practical alternative I wont use a hire car. Id rather take a bus, train, taxi or even own car.

I agree, it was a last resort, did everything to avoid it but alas. I've gone with Enterprise in the end, I'll post back my experience with them here later on.

In my experience: when you arrive, they rarely have the car you actually asked for.

So be sure to get a free upgrade to something better as opposed to accepting something worse.

A well know tactic is to push you to take an upgrade, by offering you are a really good price, only another £10 a day for something much nicer. The reality is that they don't have the car you ordered and so are basically trying to get you to pay for something they will eventually have to give you anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Could be very nasty. If there is any practical alternative I wont use a hire car. Id rather take a bus, train, taxi or even own car.

I second this. I went with Enterprise in the end & unless it's life or death in future will never hire a car again. I couldn't believe the excess for a chipped window! I was nervous using it the whole time & ended up catching a lift with someone else at the destination and leaving it on a safe road. Avoid this activity at all costs.

Whilst I think it is country specific, I have used all of the major brands and Avis is now my go to in every country. Enterprise and Alamo both ripped me off majorly with dings/petrol. Budget didn't have a car when I had pre reserved one and did not apologise with anything more than words. I am now Avis preferred and they have been good (plus I only get dinged about half the speeding/parking tickets I think I should be getting)..... :ph34r:

I found the US a piece of piss. They had barely any checks pre or post use. Long as it was in one piece they didn't seem to give a toss. I used two different companies too. Alamo and another I can't remember.

I found the US a piece of piss. They had barely any checks pre or post use. Long as it was in one piece they didn't seem to give a toss.

I believe they, or the company they lease from, usually just send the cars off to auction when they're done, so minor damage probably doesn't make much difference. Particularly when a friend who worked for a US car rental place said they once got a car back with bullet holes all down the side when the tourist drove into the wrong part of the city...

The domestic cars probably lose most of their value in the time the company has them, anyway; last time I rented a car in America, they gave me some GM saloon, and I found a website claiming it was about as reliable when new as a fifteen-year-old Honda.

Guest TheBlueCat

You can get care hire excess insurance for about 35 quid for an annual policy. All you've got to worry about then is standing firm in the face of the barrage of dire threats from the car hire clerk when you refuse their insurance...

Most credit cards in North America give you excess insurance for hire cars as part of the deal (so long as you use the card to pay for the car). It's less common in the UK but still worth checking as you might find you're already covered.

Guest TheBlueCat

A well know tactic is to push you to take an upgrade, by offering you are a really good price, only another £10 a day for something much nicer. The reality is that they don't have the car you ordered and so are basically trying to get you to pay for something they will eventually have to give you anyway.

My favourite experience of this sort was when the woman at the Herz counter in the airport at Orlando tried four or five times in a row to get me to hire a satnav from them. I wasn't interested as I had one with me already so just kepy saying no thanks and she gave up in the end. When I finally got to the car.....it had a Hertz (N)everlost satnav already wired in. B4sta4rds.

Archived