House Price Crash Forum

‘We Might Never Buy Our Own Homes’ - Fears From Sheffield First Time Voters

HOLA441

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/we-might-never-buy-our-own-homes-fears-from-sheffield-first-time-voters-1-7242960

They say young people aren’t bothered about politics – but then they haven’t met first-time voters in Sheffield South East.

Switched-on health and social care students at Peaks College campus, in the heart of the constituency, have a wealth of concerns to consider when they make their debut visit to the polls this Thursday.

Future fears over job opportunities, the cost of higher education, housing and wages were at the core of their questions.

“I don’t think people should be in a situation where they don’t want to go into higher education because you can’t afford it,” said Jade Trigg, aged 18, of Woodhouse.

“Employment for young people is really difficult and costs are stopping us from going to university. My partner is an apprentice and his wage works out at about £2.60 an hour – I think that’s disgraceful.

“It’s also really tough for people who want to move out now, I work in Meadowhall and some of my colleagues are 27, still living with their parents because they can’t afford to move out.

“We might never be able to buy our own house and have to rent forever.”

Sheffield South East was created in 2010 but the previous Sheffield Attercliffe seat has been consistently held by Labour since the 1930s.

This year there are eight candidates vying for votes, including the city’s only Cannabis is Safer Than Alcohol candidate.

Still I'm sure house prices can only go up with no able to afford to be buy.

If I was voting the Cannabis candidate would get my vote simply because everyone else is useless. I just wish I had a dead person on my candidate list as I'd vote for them.

HOLA442

It's so bad now that the best position to be in is where lenders turn you down, and by default you're unable to borrow. It's far worse to squeeze in and pass the lending criteria and be a hostage to fortune in such unprecedented circumstances.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA443

My salary is just over 13k. At best I'd be allowed to borrow £50,100. Obviously that's not enough to take on the responsibility of a home, but in today's prices that would probably get me shared ownership or a caravan. The cheapest flat in my crappy old town (east midlands) would fetch for £60k. That would be a tiny all in one studio.

The privately rented house I'm sitting in fetched for £40k when it was first sold in 2001 and now it's supposedly worth around £110,000. How long can this go on for? :lol:

HOLA444
HOLA445

Sheffield (formerly) Attercliffe, between the city centre and Meadowhall?

18 houses asking under £50k in the S4 postcode alone. An area where home ownership is still affordable to a young person on national minimum wage.

Thanks for that. They don't seem too shabby. Why are they so much cheaper? Logical prices?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/we-might-never-buy-our-own-homes-fears-from-sheffield-first-time-voters-1-7242960

Still I'm sure house prices can only go up with no able to afford to be buy.

If I was voting the Cannabis candidate would get my vote simply because everyone else is useless. I just wish I had a dead person on my candidate list as I'd vote for them.

When voters realize we are an over crowded island growing at an astronomical rate with all are services stretched to the limit, then our future generations will have a chance, until i just feel sorry for them.

I wonder which party these guys will vote for.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Attercliffe looks like its mostly an industrial estate...

As do vast swathes of South Yorkshire ex-coalfield, though they've had a lot of regeneration around Meadowhall. You want bleak, take the train Sheffield-Barnsley.

My recollections of Attercliffe are of perhaps the best Indian food I've ever enjoyed, in a restaurant with no booze license but an arrangement with the pub across the road. And of an anti-war march surrounded by mounted police.

HOLA4411

Thanks for that. They don't seem too shabby. Why are they so much cheaper? Logical prices?

Supply and demand. No bubble.

The more expensive bits of Sheffield are the southwest quadrant. Historically upwind of the heavy industry, and with the Peak District on the doorstep. Not to mention the University (the real, Russell-group one, not the ex-poly) and student-land.

Edited by porca misèria

HOLA4412

As do vast swathes of South Yorkshire ex-coalfield, though they've had a lot of regeneration around Meadowhall. You want bleak, take the train Sheffield-Barnsley.

My recollections of Attercliffe are of perhaps the best Indian food I've ever enjoyed, in a restaurant with no booze license but an arrangement with the pub across the road. And of an anti-war march surrounded by mounted police.

Not much in the way of jobs though, unless you can become a warehouse drone in one of the large distribution shed's close to the M1

The young people of Sheffield are right to be fearful. Gidiot has got a bee in his bonnet about Northern Powerhouse and you can bet the main purpose will be radiate London house price inflation waves as far North as possible.

Edited by RentierParadisio

HOLA4413

It's so bad now that the best position to be in is where lenders turn you down, and by default you're unable to borrow. It's far worse to squeeze in and pass the lending criteria and be a hostage to fortune in such unprecedented circumstances.

Alternatively you could choose not to apply for the mortgage now, against these prices.

Let's hope you won't be joining the emotional-breakdown-crew for those who have, if we ever go into HPC. No *ker dragged the mortgage applicants into the bank to pay ultra-high prices. Inventory on market is low, prices are high - most of us want to buy a house... but some choose to pay high prices. It's not a victim-fest for owners only.

HOLA4414

Sheffield (formerly) Attercliffe, between the city centre and Meadowhall?

18 houses asking under £50k in the S4 postcode alone. An area where home ownership is still affordable to a young person on national minimum wage.

The part of S4 with £50,000 houses will be Fir Vale/Page Hall. That area has had a lot of problems recently with the recently arrived Roma community and tensions are ongoing between themselves and the long established Asian community.

S4 is north east Sheffield which is made up almost entirely of poorer areas. Some worse than others and it's not Baghdad by any means, but there are probably 10-15 districts in the ne that are considered rough.

People talk about a north-south divide in Sheffield in terms of good areas, bad areas but it's really east to west. The vast majority of the best areas are on the west side, mainly the actual west and south west, apart from the start of Broomhall, Sharrow, parts of Nether Edge and Upperthorpe. There are other exceptions too but an east to west divide is more of an accurate split than north to south IMO.

Is the restaurant you mentioned The Mangla on Spital Hill?

HOLA4415

And of course there are also many many many active market participants, and market observers, who believe Sheffield is in for massive HPI ahead. (Nothing up for sale in Wallayat Sheffield postcode when I looked 4 weeks ago).

There is no assurance of any HPC; hpcers can make up excuses for the buying side.. "why can't they see its' going to be HPC" (as buyers pay high prices)... but there is no assurance of HPC. It's a market. Hold-off from the buyer are 'w@ankers' victim fest.

I think you are wrong.

Even as London softens, a torrent of devalued money will ripple out to the rest of the country over the next couple of years as Londoners take their ill gotten gains and buy desirable homes all over the rest of the country - something they would never have been able to afford to do by doing an honest day's work.

Let me tell you, as the Walayat states, this is (still) about as good a time to be buying in this particular cycle in the regions as you are likely to witness. Although it may not be the exact sweet spot, I think if you are able to buy somewhere nice and are desperate to settle down for a period, you should take the plunge as many hpcers have already done. If you cannot do so, I'm sorry to tell you but things are about to get a whole lot worse for you.

I try to draw a distinction between 'should' and 'is'. Between 'justice' and 'what should I do'.

It is my opinion, and only my opinion, that a wall of money will shortly be noticably exiting the London housing market to other areas of the UK and has probably already started.

Thanks. He's getting out of stocks and into housing. He is in Sheffield so the timing will probably be right as a torrent of devalued money created in London arrives there.

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article46535.html

HOLA4416

This part of Sheffield just like my own general area...

What little inventory that is on market going Sold STC, at high non-HPC prices,

No one is dragging borrowers in for mortgages.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE^722701&radius=0.5&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I hope the Conservatives enjoy this election, it's one of the last where they will be able to rely on the Boomer+pre-Boomer homeowner vote which is all they know how to go after. Those older homeowners are dying off and not being replaced by young homeowners. Homeownership is falling by about a percentage point per year. That means if this year the proportion of adults who own a home (including buying with a mortgage) is around 60%, in 2020 it will be around 55%, and in 2025 it will be around 50%. Game over for small c conservatism.

Why would a generation that expects to be unable to accumulate significant assets during its working life vote for a party that wants to keep things as they are?

HOLA4419

When voters realize we are an over crowded island growing at an astronomical rate with all are services stretched to the limit, then our future generations will have a chance, until i just feel sorry for them.

I wonder which party these guys will vote for.

Seems to be taking some time.

HOLA4420

Ah Sheffield! Built on seven hills, they say - just like Rome. Erm ....

Rented an attic flat on Carter Knowle Road in 1974, slept in the living room because the bedroom wall was running with damp. Handsome detached house, quite posh really, decent size flat but perishing cold. Missus couldn't take it. Had a couple of thousand saved up, so bought a slum (well, due to be knocked for the Heeley bypass actually) on Queens Road for £1850; 3rd bedroom a shower room, outside toilet, dry rot in the basement. But, after gas convectors put in, toasty warm. Sold it after a couple of years for £2900 (bypass now history - house still there!).

Driving around the Derbyshire Peaks in my first convertible (MGB, £125, main bearings gone), sheer ecstasy. Where has 40 years gone?? ......

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ah, Sheffield, my home city. The place with a 100k waiting list for social housing but only 40k units of social housing and a turnover of just 1k units per year. Where parkhill a building once of 1000 units of social housing stands empty, draining the public's finances, after the council sold it for a quid and paid millions to evict people, and millions more to subsidise Urban Splash to stick cladding on it at a cost of £160k per flat. Parkhill property is massively overpriced for the city, and remains empty at great cost to the city in lost council tax.

I emigrated to Barnsley for social housing. I live on a cul de sac of housing association homes (locally known as the posh part - where circa 80% of households are unemployed), surrounded by terraced streets with the houses built pre 1900, mostly in the PRS, many housing immigrants and some used as cannabis farms, smack/crack dens, people dealing this and that, with the odd owner occupier. Prices around £40k-£50k, yield appears to be 15% for landlords till they discover voids, the Friday night hobby of 'economics 101' - where your windows get put through, cannabis growing etc.

Much better than Sheffield I might add, where you are much more likely to get burgled, stabbed or shot or a combination of the 3.

The thing with Barnsley, is, the quality of life is much better than Sheffield, the people are friendlier, the cost of living lower, there are more jobs, and you don't need to use public transport to get around. It might look run down, and to some extent is, but most places are nowadays it seems.

HOLA4423